MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Politics and the CT shooting

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Politics and the CT shooting

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:05 am

kurt_w wrote:And your reaction to that is "Hmmmm ... I wonder what Kurt meant when he used the word 'Seriously' there ..."?


It's just a reason to start some long winded debate on an unrelated topic to the thread. I guess it's time to start debating semantics on this thread.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4843
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Politics and the CT shooting

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:13 am

County Police Chief Recommends Arming School Personnel
December 17, 2012 7:32 AM

ST. LOUIS COUNTY (KMOX) - St. Louis County Police Chief Tim Fitch says it is time to talk about arming civilian school personnel following Friday’s massacre in Newtown, Connecticut, comparing it to arming airline pilots after September 11, 2001.

“I see it no differently,” he said. “Pilots have been armed now for many many years, we’ve not had another hijacking and the issue is, for the bad guy, he doesn’t know which airplane he’s getting on, if the pilot is armed or not.”

Fitch said the killing will not be stopped by legislation or laws. “If there’s somebody that’s really hellbent on doing something like this, they’re not going to care what the law is.”
<Snip>

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/12/17/ ... -personnel

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Politics and the CT shooting

Postby wack wack » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:17 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:County Police Chief Recommends Arming School Personnel
December 17, 2012 7:32 AM

ST. LOUIS COUNTY (KMOX) - St. Louis County Police Chief Tim Fitch says it is time to talk about arming civilian school personnel following Friday’s massacre in Newtown, Connecticut, comparing it to arming airline pilots after September 11, 2001.

“I see it no differently,” he said. “Pilots have been armed now for many many years, we’ve not had another hijacking and the issue is, for the bad guy, he doesn’t know which airplane he’s getting on, if the pilot is armed or not.”

Fitch said the killing will not be stopped by legislation or laws. “If there’s somebody that’s really hellbent on doing something like this, they’re not going to care what the law is.”
<Snip>

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/12/17/ ... -personnel

John Henry


St. Louis County Police Chief Tim Fitch needs to be relieved of his duties IMMEDIATELY. Absolutely moronic.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3148
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm

Re: Politics and the CT shooting

Postby kurt_w » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:21 am

The funeral service for one of the boys murdered at Newtown elementary school is literally (yes, I do mean literally) going on right now.

Arturo, normally I'm up for a little geeky quibbling about language, but not this time. Sorry.

As for John Henry -- if he had any sense of shame, he'd shut the fuck up. For, like, a month or so.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5083
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Politics and the CT shooting

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:21 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:County Police Chief Recommends Arming School Personnel
December 17, 2012 7:32 AM


Well then this issued is solved. A police chief from a county in the US says it's just like arming pilots.

I guess the shoe bomber didn't get the memo. Unsuccessful yes, but not because the pilots have guns.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4843
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Politics and the CT shooting

Postby kurt_w » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:25 am

Stebben84 wrote:I guess the shoe bomber didn't get the memo. Unsuccessful yes, but not because the pilots have guns.


You are trying to have a rational argument with someone who is insane. Someone who thinks that the appropriate response to Friday's massacre at Newtown is to raise the possibility that President Obama secretly ordered someone to gun down all those children.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5083
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Politics and the CT shooting

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:31 am

kurt_w wrote:You are trying to have a rational argument with someone who is insane.


Agreed. I'm done with him on this topic.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4843
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Politics and the CT shooting

Postby pjbogart » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:09 am

I think John Henry gives us a curious peak into the insanity of Tea Party politics. They have no real loyalty to anyone but themselves and a perverse sense of freedom that includes basically whatever they want. To people like John Henry, sense of community and social responsibility are quaint notions driven by weakness. Real strength is in nihilistic attitudes toward government and society in general.

These people do not make up the majority of Republicans, but I think they constitute a powerful wing, and with some proper messaging and funding, they can push their way into power. Hatred, resentment and fear are the currency of their realm and unfortunately these are much greater motivators than optimism and hope.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6154
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Politics and the CT shooting

Postby Detritus » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:11 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:County Police Chief Recommends Arming School Personnel
December 17, 2012 7:32 AM
Image
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2386
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Politics and the CT shooting

Postby The One » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:43 pm

pjbogart wrote:I think John Henry gives us a curious peak into the insanity of Tea Party politics. They have no real loyalty to anyone but themselves and a perverse sense of freedom that includes basically whatever they want. To people like John Henry, sense of community and social responsibility are quaint notions driven by weakness. Real strength is in nihilistic attitudes toward government and society in general.

These people do not make up the majority of Republicans, but I think they constitute a powerful wing, and with some proper messaging and funding, they can push their way into power. Hatred, resentment and fear are the currency of their realm and unfortunately these are much greater motivators than optimism and hope.

Wasn't that entire statement based on hatred and resentment of the Tea Party?
The One
Senior Member
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Politics and the CT shooting

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:43 pm

The One wrote:Wasn't that entire statement based on hatred and resentment of the Tea Party?


No.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4843
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Politics and the CT shooting

Postby snoqueen » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:20 pm

It's not hate, it's a factual description. If you disagree, tell us why -- point by point.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11499
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: Politics and the CT shooting

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:29 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:County Police Chief Recommends Arming School Personnel

Well c'mon now, why stop there? You know, the more guns in school, the less likely someone will actually use one, right? Right?

Funny how no one sees it that way when a student feels a need for self-defense.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2800
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:23 am

Re: Politics and the CT shooting

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:46 pm

pjbogart wrote:I'm saying that when you offer links you should make sure that your links have a shred of credibility.


So, just whining about the source and not disputing the underlying point. That is, that the US is way behind many other countries in violent crime rates.

That the US is not in the top 10.

So you are agreeing with that, right, PJ?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Politics and the CT shooting

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:53 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Please cite the forum topics about this please since you have seemed to research this.


Johnygothispen might be one person to ask whether 9/11 was a false flag operation or inside job carried out by members of the US govt.

It seems to be, or used to when Bush was still in office, a popular belief. I seem to recall that back around 2003-2005 or so something like 20-30% of the total US population were thought to believe in some variation of this. 20% would make it about 60mm people.

What about you, were you ever a truther?

For the record, I never was. For the record, I do not believe that Obama or the US govt was behind the CT shootings. It seems pretty obvious though that, having happened, Obama is riding this horse for all he is worth. He seems to have no shame in trying to exploit it.

He seems to have that in common with many here.


John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar