MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Violence in America: five graphs

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Violence in America: five graphs

Postby snoqueen » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:08 pm

Ned would have you believe America is so safe that we don't need common sense in our gun laws yet so dangerous that we must arm ourselves at all times.

I'm starting to think the "I must be armed at all times" mentality is a sort of addiction. Maybe not in a clinical sense, but think about it:

The person lies down to sleep, hears a noise in the house (something creaking, like in my place), and feels around for his gun so he can feel safe again. He gets up during the night to use the bathroom and takes his gun along (there was a case last year with a guy shooting himself doing just that, so I can't imagine it's unusual). In the morning before he goes to work or wherever he goes, he arms himself. He won't go out the door without that gun. It's with him in his car. He shops where they don't have a no-guns sign just in case... well, just in case. He comes home at night and looks all around and feels for that gun again before he goes from the car to the house. He eats dinner with it. He watches TV at night with that thing beside him. And he goes to bed same as last night, holding onto that gun.

This is meaningless. Objectively, few Americans are living in, well, battlefield conditions day in and day out. Is our gun-guy protected against the furnace blowing up? Is he protected against traffic crashes? Against drunk drivers? Is he protected against falling down the stairs? Is he safe from food poisoning? Is he catching a deadly disease? What's in his drinking water? Is there radon in the basement? What if terrorists detonate a car bomb next to where he's parking? What if there's an earthquake?

He's got nothing against any of that, but he keeps feeling for that gun thinking "now I'm safe." Not only are we all unsafe in reality, but the gun remedy is repetitive, superstitious, or even addicted behavior. Are these thought processes even fully conscious, or is it more like some old Catholic lady touching her crucifix to feel safe? The difference is she's harmless and the gun guy is not.

It is very very hard to talk people out of addictions.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:57 pm

It's as addictive a free speech. And just as legal.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:11 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:It's as addictive a free speech. And just as legal.

The addiction Sno refers to is not the ownership of guns--it's the fear that gun ownership can feed and feed on, as the NRA and the industries it enables realized in the mid-1970s.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:28 pm

Ned knows that. He's just trying to derail the discussion because it's leading where his masters don't want to go. Carry on.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:40 pm

snoqueen wrote:Ned knows that. He's just trying to derail the discussion because it's leading where his masters don't want to go. Carry on.

Please. A gun is a tool just like a baseball bat, meat cleaver, machete, switch blade, fertilizer, dynamite, air planes or a vehicle. People are neither slaves to them nor zombies in their presence. They can be used for good or evil like a thousand other things.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:22 pm

Ah, see now Ned's getting somewhere.

I'd be investigated if I attempted to buy a large amount of fertilizer or dynamite, and you can bet I'd be questioned and possibly cited for carrying a machete downtown.

Not so much for getting hold of military-style assault rifles, so it seems.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:37 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Please. A gun is a tool just like a baseball bat, meat cleaver, machete, switch blade, fertilizer, dynamite, air planes or a vehicle. People are neither slaves to them nor zombies in their presence. They can be used for good or evil like a thousand other things.

Of course guns are just a tool--so why do "gun rights" activists insist on fetishizing them? Sno suggests the answer lies in the way guns have been specifically wrapped up in the political economy of fear. The focus of her point, again, is fear, not guns.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines