MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Spawn of Son of Snowpocalypse

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Spawn of Son of Snowpocalypse

Postby kurt_w » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:27 am

Feel free to send some of that snow my way, instead of hogging it all...

Yes, I like snow, the more the better.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:49 am

Anyone else get a loud emergency alert on their cell phone at 4am?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:19 am

fisticuffs wrote:Anyone else get a loud emergency alert on their cell phone at 4am?

Yeah, that was annoying.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:48 am

fisticuffs wrote:Anyone else get a loud emergency alert on their cell phone at 4am?

THAT'S what that was. My wife and I both sat straight up in bed. She thought it was the carbon monoxide detector. I thought the dog got into the kids toys.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:50 am

Yeah I think it was the loudest thing to ever come out of my iPhone. I appreciate the warning system but the timing was kind of ridiculous and also it's not like there's a person in WI who doesn't know it's going to snow.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:29 am

agreed. They should have settings, only thing I want to be woken up for is a tornado warning.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:00 am

I didn't get this alert on my iPhone. What app did it come out of??
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:01 am

No app. I think it's part of the OS. Shows up in notifications as Emergency Alerts.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:19 am

I got it but thought it was from my weatherbug app which pops up weather alerts.

Except now that I think about it, this morning's alert was in a different format.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:42 am

I didn't get one.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:52 am

Just got another one 15 minutes ago. It seems to be only available on new devices.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:55 am

O.J. wrote:Just got another one 15 minutes ago. It seems to be only available on new devices.

Clearly iPhone 4S is not new enough. MUST BUY NEW MODEL TO BE SAFE FROM INCOMING WEATHER.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AndyWx80 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:58 am

massimo wrote:Where's Andy the weather dude when you need him?

I've been quietly observing, but since you asked...

This looks like a top 5 winter event for Madison, and given some of this morning's model projections, it could be near the top as far as a 24-hour storm total goes. The previous record 24-hour total is 17.3" from Dec. 3rd, 1990, but there have been winter storms that produced more over a longer period.

I'm in full agreement with NOAA's 12- to 16-inch totals, although there are two caveats: the first being the potential for thundersnow, which has around a 30% chance of occurring Thursday (more likely just southeast of here and towards MKE). That could drag totals as high as 20", should it occur. The other issue we could run into is a brief period of mixing (with sleet and\or rain) sometime on Thursday. Sometimes intense storms like these will track slightly farther north and west than modeled at the last moment, and given that rain will be occurring just south and east of here, any such shift would likely keep totals under a foot. I think those chances are only around 20% as of now, though.

Regarding the alerts this morning, that is something NOAA implemented after the Joplin tornado killed over a hundred people a couple years ago. They're sent out for any unusually life-threatening weather situation (or terrorism, etc), and blizzards have been deemed such (mainly for travelers or anyone caught outdoors). I think it's a good idea in worst-case scenarios like a violent tornado, especially in parts of the country where people may not take tornado sirens seriously. Unfortunately, the warning was issued during the overnight shift (edit: and updated again at 10:26). I actually did not receive an alert on my iPhone, so I'm not sure if some of the kinks have yet to be worked out, or what. I imagine those getting them will continue to as NWS updates their warnings over the course of the storm.
AndyWx80
Forum Addict

Postby kurt_w » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:07 pm

AndyWx80 wrote:This looks like a top 5 winter event for Madison, and given some of this morning's model projections, it could be near the top as far as a 24-hour storm total goes. The previous record 24-hour total is 17.3" from Dec. 3rd, 1990, but there have been winter storms that produced more over a longer period.

I'm in full agreement with NOAA's 12- to 16-inch totals, [...]

This thread is just killing me. All we have outside here is green grass. Forecast says mostly rain with minor amounts of sleet and snow. Not happy. Am thinking of moving back to Wisconsin.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:08 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Yeah I think it was the loudest thing to ever come out of my iPhone. I appreciate the warning system but the timing was kind of ridiculous and also it's not like there's a person in WI who doesn't know it's going to snow.

I got it on my Android. Thought I'd mistakenly set the clock radio to "buzz" instead of "FM."

Came in as a text alert. Tip for other Android users who would prefer to sleep uninterrupted tonight:

Open your text/SMS app and go to Menu>Setting>Emergency Alerts. You'll see options for Extreme, Severe (which is, apparently, what this one was), and Amber.

I turned off all but Extreme because I want to be able to watch the comets coming in on Friday. Be a shame to sleep through that shit.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines