MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Verona cancels school before a single flake falls

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Verona cancels school before a single flake falls

Postby minicat » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:36 pm

Can't be as bad as the 20 inch day a few years ago, when I locked my keys and my duplicate keys in my car with it running, stuck halfway out into the street. Yeah, that was a treat.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:14 pm

UW is added to the list.

Students: Students who have finals scheduled for Thursday are asked to await information from their instructors. Instructors have been directed to offer alternative final exams or make grade evaluations based on work to date. Finals on Friday and Saturday are expected to be held as scheduled.

Instructors: Instructors who have finals scheduled for Thursday are directed to contact their students with alternate plans, based on Wednesday’s instructions from the Provost’s Office. If you have questions or need support, contact your department chair or dean’s office. In-person exam meetings cannot be held or re-scheduled to Friday or Saturday.

Employees: Employees designated as essential should report to work, following their departmental policies. Other employees will need to use available leave (vacation, personal holiday or compensatory time), or live without pay, as appropriate to cover the absence. With supervisor approval (if needed), employees may also work at home or in an alternate location. Check with your supervisor if you have questions. Refer to UW-Madison Inclement Weather Guidelines, http://www.news.wisc.edu/21372 for more information.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:40 pm

UW is closing except for essential functions. What is non-essential at UW? Anything but sports?

http://emergency.wisc.edu/
Last edited by Shorty on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby grumpybear » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:43 pm

My workplace has already cancelled for tomorrow even though there is no snow on the ground yet. There are some pros and cons to cancelling early.
Pro-reduce stress about driving to work. This is a major concern. You would be surprised at how far people commute to work. I had an employee who commuted from Rockford to DeForest. I might add this is for a warehouse ($10.50 job).
Con-people don't get paid when a snow day is called in advance. They can use sick or vacation time if they have any time remaining. Otherwise, it is unpaid time off.

Stocking up provisions: Beer, cheese, cigars.
grumpybear

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:48 pm

Did you manage to read the post above yours.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:58 pm

I especially like the Metro Transit alert.

"The buses are going to be running at the BEGINNING of the day..."
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:32 pm

There is an increasing confidence in the prognostication of meteorologists. Governments and businesses realize the value in mitigating the negative effects of weather events by being proactive when the overwhelming consensus of those analyzing the data are advising to do so. This a victory for science. It's prudent for individuals, businesses and government agencies to expect the storm because If the meteorologists are wrong tomorrow it will be an anomaly.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:01 pm

Right now (around 10 pm Wednesday night) it looks as if we'll have a big load of snow overnight, less (just a few inches) during the day Thursday, and then another load -- possibly, 50% chance -- Thursday night.

I am sleeping in my clothes and looking forward to getting up and doing a middle-of-the-night shoveling. It's a really cool winter treat. The whole city is really, really quiet, the light is all reflecting down onto the snow so it's very bright, and the snowflakes in the streetlight are all twinkly and crisp.

And it's nice to get up in the morning and find only, say, three inches of new snow to dig out of, not seven.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:15 pm

snoqueen wrote:I am sleeping in my clothes and looking forward to getting up and doing a middle-of-the-night shoveling. It's a really cool winter treat. The whole city is really, really quiet, the light is all reflecting down onto the snow so it's very bright, and the snowflakes in the streetlight are all twinkly and crisp.

Hey! Stop making it sound almost appealing. You're harshing my depressive buzz!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:36 pm

gargantua wrote:
snoqueen wrote:I am sleeping in my clothes and looking forward to getting up and doing a middle-of-the-night shoveling. It's a really cool winter treat. The whole city is really, really quiet, the light is all reflecting down onto the snow so it's very bright, and the snowflakes in the streetlight are all twinkly and crisp.

Hey! Stop making it sound almost appealing. You're harshing my depressive buzz!

The clincher on making it sound appealing would be snoqueen describing of taking a breaking whilst shoveling the midnight snow to take a swig of the brandy flask to pause and absorb the winter beauty.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:27 am

Don't mean to snow on your parade, but I'm thinking the neighbors might not care for that middle-of-the-night *scrape, scrape, scrape*.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:31 am

(rummaging around for brandy)

The neighbors owe me one from all the parties they had last summer.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:47 am

Stebben84 wrote:Did you manage to read the post above yours.

No I didn't see your post. Must have been tired last night but I edited my post. Still wondering who is essential.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:05 am

I can tell you it's not me.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:05 am

For what it's worth, while I was doing my graveyard shift shoveling last night, we had thundersnow! Big flashes of white light like a transformer blowing up, wait a couple beats, big thunder in the clouds -- all in the middle of a heavy snowfall. I never experienced that before and it was very cool.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines