MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 23.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

The gun thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The gun thread

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:34 pm

The Milwaukee County sheriff posted on a Tea Party site that armed tactical officers or security officers should be placed "in every school and public place in America." I wonder if this will be the NRA's "solution" too.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:17 pm

It's my understanding the Australian buyback program was specifically for what's loosely referred to as "assault weapons." The buybacks were compulsory.

This is from the Arizona Daily Star, of all places, though the article was originally printed in the Washington Post:

In 1996, not two weeks after a horrific mass killing of 35 people at a resort in Tasmania, Australian politicians came together around the "National Firearms Agreement," which banned semiautomatic and automatic rifles and shotguns and created a compulsory buyback program for the outlawed weapons. (To do otherwise would have amounted to a taking of property without compensation.)

The number of homicides involving firearms has dropped 59 percent in Australia since then, and the number of suicides by firearm fell by 74 percent, according to the Journal of Law and Economics. The percentage of homes with guns has dropped in half. A Harvard study found that, while Australia experienced 13 gun massacres in the 18 years before 1996, there has been none since.

The government purchased and destroyed 700,000 weapons between 1996 and 1998 - about one-fifth of Australia's estimated stock of firearms. That would be like destroying 50 million guns in America today.

http://azstarnet.com/news/opinion/the-c ... c8f50.html
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:51 pm

More from the article I cited about Sheriff Clarke from Milw. Co.:
The sheriff suggests armed guards in schools, malls, theaters and other public places could be paid for with public money now spent on "green" environmental projects and "other waste-of-money social service spending."

He also says businesses should remove signs saying guns are prohibited. That only tips off a sociopathic killer that no one there would be able to stop him, Clarke says.

Our residents conservatives on this forum couldn't have said if better. They probably get their talking points from the same source.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:01 pm

This article has some information I wasn't aware of. I knew the NRA was powerful but other than lots of political contributions, I didn't know what it did with all that power.

Man. These guys have been pretty damn brazen.
Faced with government-funded research that contradicts NRA claims on gun safety, the gun lobby moved to defund the research and silence the researchers. When news reporters tried to learn which gun shops repeatedly supply violent criminals with firearms, the NRA lobbied to have gun-trace data exempted from the Freedom of Information Act. When advocates of transparency in campaign finance proposed the Disclose Act in Congress to require disclosure of top donors to political advertising campaigns, the NRA once again marched to the beat of its own 100-round drum: The organization obtained an exemption to keep its information secret.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:57 pm

rabble wrote:This article has some information I wasn't aware of. I knew the NRA was powerful but other than lots of political contributions, I didn't know what it did with all that power.

They also did this:
In the 1990s, politicians backed by the NRA attacked researchers for publishing data on firearm research. For good measure, they also went after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for funding the research. According to the NRA, such science is not “legitimate.” To make sure federal agencies got the message, Rep. Jay Dickey (R-Ark.) sponsored an amendment that stripped $2.6 million from the CDC’s budget, the exact amount it had spent on firearms research the previous year.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... t_cdc.html

Because the NRA gets to tell the CDC what kind of science is legitimate.

And why not? they have very conscientious members, like this guy:
On Wednesday evening, Gary Quackenbush, 61, turned up at the theater seeking his missing gun, "like it would be in the lost and found with lost eyeglasses and other things," said Long.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:03 pm

Fresh Air did an interesting segment on gun issues tonight. You can hear it here:
http://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/

or read highlights here:

http://www.npr.org/2012/12/20/167694808 ... mmentBlock

The comments show that the gun fans are pushing hard to get this type of information neutralized.

Incidentally, we are not to say "assault weapons" any more. Please.

They are "modern sporting rifles."

You got that straight?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:19 pm

snoqueen wrote:Incidentally, we are not to say "assault weapons" any more. Please.

Got it?

Well, yes. Because technically they are quite a bit smaller, lighter, and less powerful than what you'd want if you were actually participating in an assault. The only thing they have in common is the silhouette.

But I don't think "modern sporting rifles" is going to catch on. I think it'll end up being "mini assault rifles" shortened to MA weapons or something like that.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:23 am

Anybody following Wayne LaPierre's NRA response press conference?

He makes it very obvious why the NRA opposes any meaningful mental health assessments and requirements.

How does someone so dangerously delusional have so much influence?

This is your leader, NRA. Your LEADER.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nbcnews.com/ ... /#50260544
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:31 am

To summarize LaPierre:

It's the fault of movies. it's the fault of games. it's the fault of the media, especially the media. It's not the fault of guns.

The only solution: more people with guns.

The NRA will spend boatloads of morning to form an "investigative panel" with the goal of putting guns in every school in America.

Yeah, that's the solution.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:35 am

snoqueen wrote:Incidentally, we are not to say "assault weapons" any more. Please.

You got that straight?

Yeah, no, I'm not playing that game. They can call them all "rainbow-colored marshmallow-pooping baby unicorns" for all I care. They are weapons designed to commit assault. Ergo, "assault weapons."
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:05 pm

Texas lawmaker: ‘Ping-pongs’ deadlier than guns

No further comment on the above (although doppel might want to chime in).
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:09 pm

wack wack wrote:The only solution: more people with guns.

Please don't take away my precioussss!
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:09 pm

Columbine High School had two armed guards, but they couldn't prevent the massacre that occurred there.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:22 pm

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:30 pm

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines