MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Write your own (damn) budget

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Write your own (damn) budget

Postby Meade » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:54 am

HawkHead wrote:If you truly were serious about getting rid of the debt you wouldn't talk about tax cuts until it was gone.

President Obama did. 2010. Remember the "Slurpee Summit"?
Image
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Write your own (damn) budget

Postby HawkHead » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:03 pm

Meade wrote:
HawkHead wrote:If you truly were serious about getting rid of the debt you wouldn't talk about tax cuts until it was gone.

President Obama did. 2010. Remember the "Slurpee Summit"?
Image


Please try to keep up.

We were talking about 2020 when President Walker would present a tax cut and we had a $300 Billion surplus not 2010 when our economy was struggling and needed government help to keep going.

But I guess this shouldn't surprise me Insolent Moderate Meade.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: Write your own (damn) budget

Postby DCB » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:31 pm

HawkHead wrote:If you truly were serious about getting rid of the debt you wouldn't talk about tax cuts until it was gone. You simply want to kick people off of medicare, social security, unemployment, food stamps ......

If you were truly interested in the economic health of the country, you wouldn't be talking about the debt until unemployment was lower and wages were higher.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2710
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Write your own (damn) budget

Postby HawkHead » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:48 am

DCB wrote:
HawkHead wrote:If you truly were serious about getting rid of the debt you wouldn't talk about tax cuts until it was gone. You simply want to kick people off of medicare, social security, unemployment, food stamps ......

If you were truly interested in the economic health of the country, you wouldn't be talking about the debt until unemployment was lower and wages were higher.


DCB, I am not sure what you are getting at. Is that at me?

I thought that the stimulus was too small and I am all for government spending to keep the economy upright.

Once, again we were talking about 2020. With a surplus in 2020 I am assuming that unemployment is way down and wages have risen.

Part fo the reason wages aren't rising is that when 10 people apply for a job the company knows it can lowball on the wages and someone will be happy to have the job.

I remember at one point in my career having 5 years of accounting and tax experience and the college grads coming into our firm were getting paid $10,000 more than I was because of the demand in the market at that time. I went to my supervisors and made a case for why I should get paid more and they said no. I left and went to another firm and got a $20,000 raise.

So I agree with you. We need to get the economy going again to promote job growth and increased wages. That will in turn lower unemployment, medicade and food stamp spending and increase tax revenue.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: Write your own (damn) budget

Postby DCB » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:09 pm

HawkHead wrote:
DCB wrote:
HawkHead wrote:If you truly were serious about getting rid of the debt you wouldn't talk about tax cuts until it was gone. You simply want to kick people off of medicare, social security, unemployment, food stamps ......

If you were truly interested in the economic health of the country, you wouldn't be talking about the debt until unemployment was lower and wages were higher.


DCB, I am not sure what you are getting at. Is that at me?


Not at all. Its for the deficit scolds who think balance sheets are more important than people's lives.
HawkHead wrote:So I agree with you. We need to get the economy going again to promote job growth and increased wages. That will in turn lower unemployment, medicade and food stamp spending and increase tax revenue.

Which is really the only sensible way to address the debt.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2710
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Write your own (damn) budget

Postby pjbogart » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:55 am

HawkHead wrote:medicade


Mmmm... medical waste, water, a bit of sugar to brighten the flavors.

Drop in a few ice cubes and you've got a delicious glass of medicade.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6169
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Write your own (damn) budget

Postby DCB » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:39 am

pjbogart wrote:
HawkHead wrote:medicade


Mmmm... medical waste, water, a bit of sugar to brighten the flavors.

Drop in a few ice cubes and you've got a delicious glass of medicade.

Goes great with Soylent Green.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2710
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar