MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

What do you get when you're stockpiling before a storm?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: What do you get when you're stockpiling before a storm?

Postby Sandi » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:18 am

pjbogart wrote:The best way to eat fresh chili is topped with some grated sharp cheddar cheese and raw, diced yellow onion.

Now that sounds awesome, I will have to give that a try.

Arizona desert chili is what I usually make ( with a few changes ).
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:27 am

gargantua wrote:
snoqueen wrote:Dog food.

Not for your own consumption I hope.

Nah.

But being stuck in the house with a hungry dog is less than optimal.

Truth be told, for myself I bought a cabbage and some ginger root. I am planning to make kim chee on my snow day.

What I really stockpiled was library books.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:15 am

Sandi wrote:
pjbogart wrote:The best way to eat fresh chili is topped with some grated sharp cheddar cheese and raw, diced yellow onion.

Now that sounds awesome, I will have to give that a try.

It is. No crackers required. Fuck crackers... that's what I always say.

The important thing about making good chili in a slow cooker is that there are no important things. Just toss the shit in and wait for it to become unrecognizable. Usually takes about six hours, but it's worth the wait. Oh, and cook the hamburger in a skillet, but make sure you pour it all into the chili, fat and all.

Where in the fuck is my snow, anyway?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:30 am

pjbogart wrote:It is. No crackers required. Fuck crackers... that's what I always say.

The important thing about making good chili in a slow cooker is that there are no important things. Just toss the shit in and wait for it to become unrecognizable. Usually takes about six hours, but it's worth the wait. Oh, and cook the hamburger in a skillet, but make sure you pour it all into the chili, fat and all.

Where in the fuck is my snow, anyway?

Agreed on the crackers, tasteless crap. I always keep the fat and usually put it in what I am making; same with bacon grease. If not I save it to lightly fry onions later in the day.

The stuff I use in my chili is Dave's Insanity Sauce. I like really hot chilies but this stuff is from hell. A couple drops for a gallon or two is plenty to keep you reaching for a drink. Reading this off the bottle I shit you not: "Great cooking ingredient for sauces, soups and stews. Also strips waxed floors and removes driveway grease stains."

As for your snow, I sincerly hope you get gypped out of it. Already about an inch and a half down here in Janesville.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:36 am

pjbogart wrote:Where in the fuck is my snow, anyway?

It is currently being delivered in the form of THUNDER SNOW!!!
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:58 am

Sandi wrote:The stuff I use in my chili is Dave's Insanity Sauce. I like really hot chilies but this stuff is from hell. A couple drops for a gallon or two is plenty to keep you reaching for a drink.

Yes I got a bottle of their ghost pepper sauce as a gift. I poked a knife into it an touched the most miniscule bit to my tongue. This was a mistake.

Sandi wrote:As for your snow, I sincerly hope you get gypped out of it. Already about an inch and a half down here in Janesville.

It looks like those in south central will all get there share.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:34 am

Forgive me for not addressing the topic of this thread. While It was not planned for this event, we did serendipituously (maybe seritiptously) obtain a copy of "George Washington, Spymaster" that should sustain us. So far it is pretty interesting.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/Spyma
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:11 am

Beer
Milk
TP
Kitty litter
Cat food

Last two items because of 10 cats and like Sno said, the alternative without said supplies is not something you want to think about. With that, good to go.
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:31 am

bleurose wrote:Last two items because of 10 cats

I presume you already had lint rollers stockpiled.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:30 pm

Mad Howler wrote:
Sandi wrote:The stuff I use in my chili is Dave's Insanity Sauce. I like really hot chilies but this stuff is from hell. A couple drops for a gallon or two is plenty to keep you reaching for a drink.

Yes I got a bottle of their ghost pepper sauce as a gift. I poked a knife into it an touched the most miniscule bit to my tongue. This was a mistake.

Oh mah geard - I'm a hot sauce person through and through and that Dave's Ghost Pepper Insanity f'd my stomach up good. It has been something like 5 years since I ran across a hot sauce that made me sweat but this one is possibly too much for me (except for maybe as a "put a few drops in" kind of thing - I was using it as a "smother food item in it" type of sauce to my eternal regret).
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:23 pm

This sounds to me like a clue to back away from the pre-made sauces and make your own. Or, better yet, cook the hot peppers into your dish as needed.

Make your own way. It's fun!
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:50 am

OK, marvell, that made me laugh. Good thing I had just swallowed the coffee or it would have hit my screen. :D And I laughed so hard because if you could see the house - well, let's just say that the fur balls are well stocked and on occasion, can reach the size of a real cat :wink: . Lint rollers - not so much.
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:55 pm

massimo wrote:We have a tradition of making pulled pork in the crock pot during the first major snowstorm of the year. So, I'll be headed to Jenny St for that and a liquor store for shameful amounts of booze.

Decided to skip the clear-the-deck-and-grill plan and go your route instead. You probably beat me to Jenny St... by the time I got there they were out of shoulder/butt roasts. Ended up using 5 lbs of country-style ribs, with great success. Ribs = more surface area for the dry rub (no BBQ sauce for me).
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby KidCapitol » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:57 pm

Didn't really stockpile on purpose.
Just happened to go cruelty free/vegan shopping the morning before.
KidCapitol
Forum Addict

Postby massimo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:45 pm

Ducatista wrote:Decided to skip the clear-the-deck-and-grill plan and go your route instead. You probably beat me to Jenny St... by the time I got there they were out of shoulder/butt roasts. Ended up using 5 lbs of country-style ribs, with great success. Ribs = more surface area for the dry rub (no BBQ sauce for me).

No sauce for me either, no thanks. In what liquid do you cook your ribs? I typically use either root beer or ginger beer.

When I got to Jenny St. at about 3pm they still had two beautiful 4 lb. butts, fortunately (for me). I haven't been able to find any other reliable source of quality pork shoulder on the E. side.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines