MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 19.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Spawn of Son of Snowpocalypse

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Spawn of Son of Snowpocalypse

Postby Igor » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:57 pm

One plus of living on a busy street - possibly the only one - is that I know I can get places during storms if I can make it out of the driveway. I was at work earlier than usual today because nobody else was going anywhere.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:03 pm

Our semi-remote residential street was plowed clear by 10:30 this morning, and I drove to a previously-scheduled haircut appointment and to Ace for a hitch pin clip to repair my snowblower's chute assembly. Probably due for another plowing about now.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:12 pm

We still got nothin. Gonna be a long winter if that crap freezes. If I go out there with a pickaxe tomorrow I can clear enough of a path to get out of the driveway but the street will basically be a one lane slot car track.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby KidCapitol » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:52 pm

You really are an idiot if you went out driving anywhere yesterday. (Thurs. Dec. 20th)
And if anyone got stuck or in an accident, they got what they deserved for not listening to the warnings to stay home.
KidCapitol
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:32 pm

KidCapitol wrote:You really are an idiot if you went out driving anywhere yesterday. (Thurs. Dec. 20th)
And if anyone got stuck or in an accident, they got what they deserved for not listening to the warnings to stay home.

There were idiots who didn't need to be on the road Thursday, yes. And there were those who had to be out, why be a dick about it?

I'm grateful we could cozy up, work from home, and stay off the roads.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:36 pm

11:30 am, plows hit our little street.

Guess that means all the residential streets are done, since they always do ours last.

Now for that snowpile at the end of the driveway...
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:21 pm

snoqueen wrote:11:30 am, plows hit our little street.

Guess that means all the residential streets are done, since they always do ours last.

Not this year. We're still waiting.

I think they must have changed their grid pattern. We haven't been exactly happy with the plowing in recent winters but we always, ALWAYS saw a plow before the snow quit falling.

Now we've got what looks like seven or eight inches of hard packed ice up and down the street. Boy it'll be great when they scrap that so we'll only have six or seven inches of solid mirror smooth ice.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:34 pm

Wasn't Soglin going to solve our plowing woes?
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:02 pm

After waiting through all of Friday morning, my neighbor called to find out when we were going to be plowed out. The answer was "we will try to get to you today, but for sure tomorrow." I don't mind since I didn't have to go in to work today. But others on our street did. To get one block it took them two hours of shoveling, getting stuck, shoveling. What a disaster!
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:14 pm

I'm betting that the bike paths were the last thing to be plowed, if last year's storms are any indication. Soglin hates winter bicyclists, as we well know.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:39 pm

Ducatista wrote:Wasn't Soglin going to solve our plowing woes?

I try to refrain from criticism of Madison city government, but this snowfall removal is not good.

http://www.waxingamerica.com/2008/12/ma ... good-.html

The snow packed and treacherous streets that commuters faced on Thursday morning were not the result of the depth and weight of the storm but a series of conscious decisions made over recent years.

http://www.waxingamerica.com/2009/12/sn ... -down.html

I said ha, ha.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:14 pm

I generally try to cut the city and plowers slack and understand what a giant mess such a major snowdump is. My rinky-dink street finally saw a plow at 4:30AM and I have no problem with a policy of hitting major arteries first and hardest and not worrying too much about rarely-traveled side streets until later, even if that does mean a less-than-ideal plow job and bigger chunks of ice and hardened snow clogging up the end of my driveway. But I ran some errands today and holy shit is Midvale a mess! It's basically 1½ lanes of rutted ice topped with hardpacked snow. So now I'm joining the camp of those wondering what the hell the city was (or, rather, wasn't) doing last night. Cuz I'd like to think Midvale qualifies as a pretty major thoroughfare and I don't recall it ever being so poorly plowed in the past. (Of course, my memory... she ain't so good...)
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:11 pm

Galoot wrote:I'm betting that the bike paths were the last thing to be plowed, if last year's storms are any indication. Soglin hates winter bicyclists, as we well know.

Well, I sure don't know what the two of them that I saw yesterday were doing. Based on their dress, it seemed pretty clear they were riding for transport, and not for fun. But neither one was making any better time than walking, they were wobbling trying to remain upright (or needing to put their feet down) and riding in the street, which still had some auto traffic. I guess they are looking to have a good story to tell their grandkids, should they survive that long.

Ditto the runner that ran by as I was shoveling today. I suppose you burn calories by trying to avoid falling down, but it seems like snow shoveling would give you the cardio without the risk of injury.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:24 pm

I think the plowing on the side streets was rather uncoordinated. They did my street around 10:30am with two contractor plows. Then around 8pm there were two city plows out there. I don't know how there ended up being two plows at once both times since it didn't really make things go any faster and mostly resulted in the two plow drivers talking to each other trying to figure out where to go next.

My husband takes County Road M in to work and he said it was a mess this morning. Avoid it if at all possible. I'm sad to hear that Midvale is a mess, the last time it was bad was a few years ago when the whole city was terrible and Mayor Dave was blamed for not getting the plows out fast enough. At that time there was an amazing contrast between Verona Rd and Midvale and you could clearly see that the county plows did a better job than the city plows. I don't know if that is true this time as I didn't make it that far on my brief foray out. All I can say is PD is slow going. The snow is loosened up a bit but needs to be plowed now before it all refreezes.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:05 pm

This was some of the worst snow I've ever shoveled. It was like moving cement. I even tried spraying my shovel with cooking spray and that shit kept sticking. I need a flamethrower to melt that stuff.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines