MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
breese stevens field
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

The gun thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The gun thread

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:46 pm

Fox News? Really?

Sorry to come across as cynical, but do you think this is even a headline on Fox if it happened in Chicago, Detroit or even Milwaukee?

Which is sad in a way. There were significantly more than 26 Americans killed by people using guns last Friday (and everyday), but they weren't the right age or color for the media to care about it.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:23 pm

This is a fascinating take on the history of the NRA and gun control in America...

http://www.reuters.com/video/2012/12/19 ... nel=117772
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:37 am

wack wack wrote:To summarize LaPierre:

It's the fault of movies. it's the fault of games. it's the fault of the media, especially the media. It's not the fault of guns.

I would say that guns, movies, games, and the media all play a role. It probably wouldn't hurt to have some additional regulation on all of them. We can even do the guns first.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:37 am

Igor wrote:

It's the fault of movies. it's the fault of games. it's the fault of the media, especially the media. It's not the fault of guns.

I would say that guns, movies, games, and the media all play a role. It probably wouldn't hurt to have some additional regulation on all of them. We can even do the guns first.

Yah, but...the whole fetishIzation thing still really bugs me. Me being an owner.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2 ... eality.php
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:45 am

Mad Howler wrote:
Igor wrote:

Yah, but...the whole fetishIzation thing still really bugs me. Me being an owner.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2 ... eality.php

I am not an owner, but look like I probably am. I'm guessing that gives me maximum safety. Looking big and ugly has always helped me avoid fights too, which is good because I would suck at fighting.

As far as the fetishization of guns, the internet certainly does seem to be assisting society in sorting ourselves out into a bunch of single-issue people. Not from the voting standpoint, but from an avocation standpoint. "I am a _________ person (guns, anime, motorcyle - you fill in the blank). I think we are better off when people have multiple interests, rather than a single, all consuming one.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:50 pm

I say release a crime scene photo of one of the victims of Newtown, with their parent's consent. Just like Emmitt Till's open casket photo shocked the nation. American's love their guns but can't handle the reality of the pain their guns are capable of inflicting.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:37 pm

Igor wrote:I am not an owner, but look like I probably am. I'm guessing that gives me maximum safety. Looking big and ugly has always helped me avoid fights too, which is good because I would suck at fighting.

Let me clarify. As far as being an owner it is about deer and occasional winged prey. It is a long process to ready a weapon from the gun cabinet and I am not spending time to improve that cycle. So I'm stuck with biggish and ugly as well, and I am good with this. It is easy and kind of childish to first reach in fear, it is wise and courageous to look past this reflex.
MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:38 am

Igor wrote:

I agree cultural influences contribute to the problem. LaPierre completely disowned the role of firearms, which was absurd.

Now he's on Meet the Press, doubling down on the crazy.

I am a gun owner, and Wayne LaPierre doesn't represent me.

Yes, let's start with guns. As a former Cowboy Action Shooter, I'd suggest we ban all firearms but single action revolvers and lever action rifles. If we're going to live like the Old West, let's use the appropriate armament.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:04 pm

david cohen wrote:I say release a crime scene photo of one of the victims of Newtown, with their parent's consent. Just like Emmitt Till's open casket photo shocked the nation. American's love their guns but can't handle the reality of the pain their guns are capable of inflicting.

Brilliant idea, David Ghoul.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:16 pm

De nada, assholio.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:39 pm

I don't know, Dave. The anti abortionists have been using graphic images of aborted fetuses for decades now (which Meade apparently approves of since he's never complained about it) and I don't think it's been working for them.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:21 am

Good point Rabble. I'm not sure how the American public will react. It seems like for most Americans, they'd rather hide their head in the sand than see reality- on a plethora of issues!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:39 pm

O.J. wrote:Image

Do the other nations on this list ban violent video games, track their mentally ill citizens or have armed guards at all their schools? Or do they just have rational restrictions on firearms?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:53 pm

Second Amendment absolutists seem to have little regard for the First Amendment:
Pro-gun rights US petition to deport Piers Morgan
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:14 pm

rabble wrote:I don't know, Dave. The anti abortionists have been using graphic images of aborted fetuses for decades now (which Meade apparently approves of since he's never complained about it) and I don't think it's been working for them.

Bill of Rights... freedom of speech. Whether you are pro-abortion or anti-abortion, pro-bear arms or anti-bear arms: express yourself - don't repress yourself.

And I disagree on the graphic images not working for "anti-abortionists". The more that people face the grisly reality of abortion, the more who find it abhorrent.

The reason I personally would not release photos of aborted and/or murdered victims is because it would conflict with my expression of respect for those victims.

Also, if you want to draw comparisons between graphic representations of aborted fetuses, Emmitt Till's corpse, and the murdered children at Newtown, what is most alike is aborted fetuses and Emmitt Till, not the Newtown children.

Everyone is already horrified by the murders at Newtown. Releasing photos of the carnage at Newtown would only serve the ghoulish cynical needs of people like Dave.

Where as, before people actually viewed the graphic results of what was done to human beings like aborted fetuses and Emmitt Till, very few people cared because - out of sight, out of mind.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines