MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Random thoughts

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Random thoughts

Postby snoqueen » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:25 am

kurt_w wrote:I go to Stebben84's comment, use my mouse to highlight the word "been", and click the quote button. This is the result:

Stebben84 wrote:I've been doing that and all 3 of those.

Based on Detritus's comment, here is what I was expecting to see:

Stebben84 wrote:been

But to get that, I have to go in and manually delete all the non-been verbiage.

So now I am feeling sad.

Doesn't work for me either. I'm on Chrome. I'm sad too.

I can send in a report from Firefox tomorrow if we want to explore this more fully.

Or not.

Narcoleptish, I end up putting in the bbs code by hand most of the time because the little tool bar annoys me. Maybe it's a good thing everybody doesn't use lots of colored words, crazy font sizes, etc. We want this to be a dignified forum, right?

Right.

I can't explain why I am up in the middle of the night replying to all this. Maybe I ought to go back to bed.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:31 am

Sno and Kurt- Are you highlighting straight from a thread page? If so, try hitting "post reply" first and then doing the highlighting in the topic review box below before you hit quote. That's the only way it works for me.

Firefox out.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:41 am

Eh. OK, that works. But it's too much work.

Let's say I'm reading a thread, and somewhere in the middle of the page there's a comment I want to quote part of. Normally, I'd just hit the quote button right next to that comment, then delete the parts of the text I don't want to include.

To make this bargain-basement grade magic work, I'd need to scroll down to the bottom of the page, click "Post Reply", then scroll down to the bottom of the page again to find the previous comments, then use the inner scroll bar to scroll backwards through all the previous comments, to find the one I want to quote, then select the part of the text I want to keep, then click the quote button.

I will do a time-trial of both methods and report back.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:42 am

Elapsed time, 9 seconds, via the "click quote and delete" method.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:44 am

Elapsed time, 20 seconds, via the tedious scrolling, clicking, scrolling, more scrolling, selecting, and clicking method.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:49 am

Also, on a long thread the review box only goes back so far.

Okay then, who else needs some technical advice?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:21 am

kurt_w wrote:Elapsed time, 20 seconds, via the tedious scrolling, clicking, scrolling, more scrolling, selecting, and clicking method.

I agree that on short posts such as mine it's quicker to do what you previously did. The latter method comes in handy when you are trying to quote a small passage from an otherwise very lengthy post. This is especially true if said post contains many other quotes or even quotes within quotes. Trying to figure out what to delete(mainly the code) in order to get what you want is a pain.

The feature is also handy if you want to quote multiple people within one post. One could of course just quote one person, reply, then post again to quote the next person.

I'm so used to hitting "post reply" then quoting, that I can do it relatively quickly.

narcoleptish wrote:Also, on a long thread the review box only goes back so far.

That annoys me. I wish there was a way to fix that.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:27 am

Stebben84 wrote:The feature is also handy if you want to quote multiple people within one post. One could of course just quote one person, reply, then post again to quote the next person.

Aha. Yes, I can see that.

I can also see that it would be easier when you're quoting the most recent post in the thread ... so you don't have to hunt for it in the "topic review" list.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:32 pm

When I want to write a reply with only one quote, I highlight what I want to quote, copy it to the clipboard(with either a left-click or cntrl-C), then hit reply. I then go cntrl-A, highlight the entire post I'm answering, and delete it. At that point I paste in the part of the quote I saved earlier on the clipboard.

Then I either go cntrl-A and hit the quote button, or just put in the bbs code by hand if I'm feeling old-school and/or want to say whose post I was quoting.

I guess this whole thing is pretty old-school, since almost nobody uses mouse-copying-and-pasting or cntrl-whatevers these days. But it's fast and efficient once you get used to it. (I'm always using cntrl-Z to undo stuff I'm writing, for instance, and I sometimes do the triple-click thing to highlight a paragraph. NOBODY does that.)

I frequently try to dissociate the quotes from their writers because in general (with the exception of Meade, I suppose) I'm not picking on the writer himself but actually trying to discuss the quoted material on its own merits.

Sometimes.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:48 pm

We had company over with kids so on my way through Jenny Market I picked up a tub of gingerbread men along with everything else.

They were pretty good, but as I was setting them out I noticed that the label on the box said "Ginger People."

I didn't know the gingerbread women had such a strong lobby.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:08 pm

rabble wrote:We had company over with kids so on my way through Jenny Market I picked up a tub of gingerbread men along with everything else.

They were pretty good, but as I was setting them out I noticed that the label on the box said "Ginger People."

I didn't know the gingerbread women had such a strong lobby.

Sisterhood is powerful, my friend--never forget that.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:18 pm

I'm imagining they looked like little baked versions of the people on the men's and women's restroom doors.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:18 pm

snoqueen wrote:I'm imagining they looked like little baked versions of the people on the men's and women's restroom doors.

That's how they make them, actually. You just take some gingerbread dough and press it on a restroom door plaque and then cut out the figure. I know this because some of the gingerbread people say "Diaper Change Station" at the bottom.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:46 am

Also, a few of the traditional krumkake makers still wrap the dough around a urinal flush handle. Automatic sensors however, are forcing the industry out of the water closet.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:52 am

Last edited by bdog on Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All