MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Hillary Clinton hospitalized

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Hillary Clinton hospitalized

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:31 pm

bdog wrote: I also think it's cute that you think Althouse is right wing.

I think's it's dumb for you to think otherwise. Is she a left winger?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:38 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I have no opinion on that. And Nixon is still despicable.

Henry, it can only be was despicable since 1994. Try to keep up.

Which action he took do you think was the most despicable?

Ending the draft? Ending the Viet Nam War? Signing a treaty to limit strategic nuclear weapons? Starting the process to end the Cold War with those visits in 1972 to Beijing and Moscow, that reduced our tensions with China and the U.S.S.R. Is that what makes you so bitter? Or was it ordering the largest military airlift in history, to aid Israel in October of 1973.

Did you really hate it when he signed an executive order creating the Environmental Protection Agency? Is it because he signed the bill creating Title IX, prohibiting discrimination due to sex by any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance? One of that bill's biggest impacts created woman's sports as we know them today. Do you long for the good old days?

Was it starting federal revenue sharing with the states? Or maybe you take exception with his fight against foreign oil price gouging. Or that he was the only President to achieve a balanced national budget between 1961 and 1998.

Perhaps that's what really sticks in your craw. Do tell.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:40 pm

doppel wrote:

Watergate, of course. Why do you think he was the only president to resign?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:43 pm

bdog wrote:I think it's cute that you think "conspiracy mongering" is only used by the right wing.

I've never said that.

But in general, what Richard Hofstadter called "the paranoid style in American politics" is more deeply ingrained on the right than on the left.

I also think it's cute that you think Althouse is right wing.

I guess if you ignore much of what she writes on her blog, most of the commenters who hang out on her blog, and the kind of people who link approvingly to her blog, then it's theoretically possible to pretend that Althouse isn't a right-winger.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:47 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
bdog wrote: I also think it's cute that you think Althouse is right wing.

I think's it's dumb for you to think otherwise. Is she a left winger?

Heh...that is it in a nutshell...people like you, Kurt, Jason...assume that everyone is either a right winger or a left winger. Hell Kurt just rattled off a list of websites? that I have never heard of. He assumes everyone has taken a "side".
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:49 pm

So she is a moderate, like Meade claims to be? Ha!
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:54 pm

kurt_w wrote:
bdog wrote:I think it's cute that you think "conspiracy mongering" is only used by the right wing.

I've never said that.

But in general, what Richard Hofstadter called "the paranoid style in American politics" is more deeply ingrained on the right than on the left.

I also think it's cute that you think Althouse is right wing.

I guess if you ignore much of what she writes on her blog, most of the commenters who hang out on her blog, and the kind of people who link approvingly to her blog, then it's theoretically possible to pretend that Althouse isn't a right-winger.

No, you never said that.

See, this post of yours I like - we can actually have a discussion.

I will acknowledge that the paranoid style is more right wing than left. I just don't think it makes you look any better by pouncing on it when it happens.

Re: Althouse, I generally don't read the comments, and I have no idea who links to her blog. I did find out who David Rakoff was this week.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:56 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:So she is a moderate, like Meade claims to be? Ha!

Not in Madison, not by a long shot.

Out in reality, she is very much a moderate. Of course, YMMV.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:18 pm

I bet you think of yourself as a moderate too.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:51 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
doppel wrote:

Watergate, of course. Why do you think he was the only president to resign?

You consider Watergate despicable? Not by today's standards I hope. Those of our current President, Barrack Obama. He just signed and extended FISA in a private ceremony last weekend(no news is good news). What do you think of what of this?

"The FBI records the emails of nearly all US citizens, including members of congress, according to NSA whistleblower William Binney. In an interview with RT, he warned that the government can use this information against anyone." Here's your favorite, a link to the original article http://rt.com/usa/news/surveillance-spying-e-mail-citizens-178/

And unlike you, I'll give you my opinion with that link. What Obama does today is far more egregious than what Nixon did in the 70's.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:57 pm

Nixon knew he would have been impeached and convicted. Even Republicans in Congress would have voted him out.

How does that compare to Obama?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:59 pm

bdog wrote:I will acknowledge that the paranoid style is more right wing than left. I just don't think it makes you look any better by pouncing on it when it happens.

Look, there's only so much a guy can see before he gets the urge to point and say "Wha ... huh ... that ... that's just wrong."

John Henry suggested, apparently in all seriousness, that President Obama might have ordered the Sandy Hook school shootings as a "false flag operation" (his exact words, not mine).

Ann Althouse wrote a typically incoherent post suggesting that Secretary Clinton's blood clot might be "fakery/exaggeration" to avoid testifying about something or other, and repeating others' speculation to the same effect. As further details about Clinton's condition were provided, Althouse again stated that it was "fishy".

Personally, I think that post was an ugly (but not atypical) lapse in judgment on Althouse's part. You think that it's rude of me to point that out? It would "make me look better" to just look away and let it slide? Whatever. I generally just post here about whatever happens to catch my interest on any given day. There's no particular plan or strategy involved.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:32 pm

kurt_w wrote:Look, there's only so much a guy can see before he gets the urge to point and say "Wha ... huh ... that ... that's just wrong."

I see your point as I go through that with Henry every couple months.

You may disagree with Althouse's post, but to describe it as "despicable"? Excuse her for thinking we may not be getting the full story!
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:33 pm

bdog wrote:Out in reality, she is very much a moderate.

No, really, she's not. This has nothing to do with where Althouse is physically located. It's a matter of what she writes, who she links to and quotes, who links to her approvingly, who her commenters are, and so on. Althouse is very much a part of the right-wing blog ecosystem.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:37 pm

Well I'll take your word for it as I'm not a part of any ecosystems, left or right.

From my perspective, she's a little loopy at times but offers fair opinions.

Who would you point to as an example of a moderate blogger?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government