MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 92.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Hillary Clinton hospitalized

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Hillary Clinton hospitalized

Postby bdog » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:42 pm

Btw, I like this latest from Althouse:

And, by the way, I've gotten some pushback in email and on the web, saying that it was "shameful" and "appalling" for me to tie Clinton's health problems to a possible intent to avoid testifying about Benghazi. Let me tell you that a core motivation to my blogging — and I've been going at this for 9 years now — is to stand tough against people who try to cut off debate with this kind of shaming. So I'm glad that this performance of outrage was directed at me. I know it when I see it, and it fires me up. You want silence? You want backing down? You want me to not to dare say a thing like that? That's how you want to control political debate in the United States? Thanks for reminding me once again how deeply I hate that and for giving me an (easy) opportunity to model courage for the more timid people out there who are cowed by the fear of shaming.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:58 pm

bdog wrote:Btw, I like this latest from Althouse:

And, by the way, I've gotten some pushback in email and on the web, saying that it was "shameful" and "appalling" for me to tie Clinton's health problems to a possible intent to avoid testifying about Benghazi. Let me tell you that a core motivation to my blogging — and I've been going at this for 9 years now — is to stand tough against people who try to cut off debate with this kind of shaming. So I'm glad that this performance of outrage was directed at me. I know it when I see it, and it fires me up. You want silence? You want backing down? You want me to not to dare say a thing like that? That's how you want to control political debate in the United States? Thanks for reminding me once again how deeply I hate that and for giving me an (easy) opportunity to model courage for the more timid people out there who are cowed by the fear of shaming.

So this is how she wants to control political debate in the United States--by shaming those who find her opinions shameful and appalling? I am appalled at her shameful and appalling shaming of those who find her opinions shameful and appalling--for shame!
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:59 pm

Yeah, that's just part of Althouse's schtick. A lot of self-congratulatory noise about how big she is on free speech.

But the blogosphere is full of people who will bravely and courageously ... er ... suggest that people they don't like are insidious lying bastards. I'm not sure why we're supposed to be so impressed at the bravery and principle when a right-wing blogger attacks a prominent member of the Obama administration.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:04 pm

kurt_w wrote:Yeah, that's just part of Althouse's schtick. A lot of self-congratulatory noise about how big she is on free speech.

Yet she put up quite a fuss about Obama speaking on campus.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:21 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Nixon knew he would have been impeached and convicted. Even Republicans in Congress would have voted him out.

How does that compare to Obama?

The point I am trying to get you to understand is that our current President is further to the right and more devious than your "despicable" President Nixon. He has accomplished little when compared to Nixon. Perhaps you should reevaluate your opinion of 70's history, Nixon's presidency, and Nixon the man.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:27 pm

kurt_w wrote:Yeah, that's just part of Althouse's schtick. A lot of self-congratulatory noise about how big she is on free speech.

But the blogosphere is full of people who will bravely and courageously ... er ... suggest that people they don't like are insidious lying bastards. I'm not sure why we're supposed to be so impressed at the bravery and principle when a right-wing blogger attacks a prominent member of the Obama administration.

Heh...now it's an "attack".

I tell ya, words don't mean shit anymore that's for sure.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:28 pm

I remember Nixon as my commander-in-chief when I served in the Navy. I also remember his "secret plan" to end the Vietnam War. His plan was to broaden the war and end it quickly with the capitulation of the North. Instead we ended up bugging out and the North never capitulated.

If we still had the draft, our wars with Iraq and Afghanistan would have ended much sooner.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:29 pm

bdog wrote:Btw, I like this latest from Althouse:

Boy, that's pretty good. In only a few sentences she turned "shameful" and "appalling" into "stifling free speech."

Bdog, since you're such a good friend of hers, could you maybe explain to her that calling someone shameful and appalling is not the same thing as forcing them to shut up?

I thought she was a lawyer. It surprises me that she doesn't understand the difference.

I suppose it could be that she would rather argue free speech rights than defend the content of her speech, but that would be a deliberate and transparent attempt at misdirection. That seems unlikely since she's such a moderate and would welcome the chance to debate her ideas and motives.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:39 pm

Sorry Rabs, I don't know her personally.

What exactly is the content that you would debate her on? Seems to me that she is just asking questions, or as Kurt would say, "attacking".
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:53 pm

bdog wrote:Sorry Rabs, I don't know her personally.

What exactly is the content that you would debate her on? Seems to me that she is just asking questions, or as Kurt would say, "attacking".

All I did was point out that she turned "that was shameful" into "you should shut up."

She never tried to defend her actual speech. She just turned criticism into a muzzling attempt, which is much easier to argue than the words that generated the criticism. Sorry you're unable to make the distinction.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:01 pm

Of course it's much easier to argue because it's true.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:36 pm

bdog wrote:Of course it's much easier to argue because it's true.

What's true? That she's falsely accusing her opponents of censorship in order to avoid taking responsibility for her own comments? That her comments and subsequent faux victimization are appalling? Or that her maneuver to turn disapproval into attempted censorship is hypocritical?

Sounds like a hat trick to me.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:41 pm

She just turned criticism into a muzzling attempt

Actually that's only partially true - she turned Overwrought criticism into a muzzling attempt.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:47 pm

bdog wrote:
She just turned criticism into a muzzling attempt

Actually that's only partially true - she turned Overwrought criticism into a muzzling attempt.

Well, yes, "overwrought" is an apt characterization.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:15 pm

Little screen tantrum thrown to distract from thoroughly-countered aspersions is another.

Any mother of a nine-year-old girl knows this gambit.

Apparently Ann has lots of company, who ought to be eating their words but will, of course, weasel out of it:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pos ... w/?hpid=z3
Last edited by snoqueen on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government