MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 82.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Hillary Clinton hospitalized

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Hillary Clinton hospitalized

Postby DCB » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:46 pm

kurt_w wrote:
bdog wrote:Out in reality, she is very much a moderate.

No, really, she's not. This has nothing to do with where Althouse is physically located. It's a matter of what she writes, who she links to and quotes, who links to her approvingly, who her commenters are, and so on. Althouse is very much a part of the right-wing blog ecosystem.

Indeed, several other right-wingers who reacted similarlyto news of the SoS's medical condition, including Fox's Megyn Kelly, WaPo's Krauthammer, Tucker Carlson...

Mocking serious medical conditions may be mainstream Republican, but its not in any way 'moderate'.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:50 pm

snoqueen wrote:Any mother of a nine-year-old girl knows this gambit.

How many of them call their daughters "despicable"?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:10 pm

bdog wrote:

A nine-year-old girl acting like a nine-year-old girl is to be expected. A sixty-year-old woman acting like a nine-year-old girl, on the other hand....
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:13 pm

I heard from a guy who knows somebody that Althouse's latest post was written from a whorehouse in Budapest. It is rumored she went to do some research but stayed for the fabulous breakfast bar. Could that be true? If it is, I find her actions deplorable. I don't believe it personally, but I think everyone has the right to know that my irresponsible friend thinks she's turning tricks for crepes. Does anyone have any evidence she's not? Would she tell us if he did?
But I'd have an easier time believing she's actually selling guns to our nation's enemies, which was also suggested by someone who has absolutely no evidence, but thinks such a story bears repeating. Who would know about such a coverup and how could we ever shake the truth out them?
I dunno, maybe she's just in hiding after all that money she might have embezzled when she was allegedly working as a mob fixer. That's what I heard in a restaurant bathroom the other night, anyway. Probably not true, but worth questioning, right? Because if it were true, that would be awful.
Honestly I don't believe any of these unsubstantiated stories, but I'll defend to the death my right to repeat them on the internet, as long as I continue to point out that I have no reliable source for them and I would never suggest they are anything but vague possibilities. It might be irresponsible - despicable even- but it's important that such questions be asked, so as not to stifle debate.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:13 pm

bdog wrote:

And as we all know, "despicable" means "I want to take away your constitutional rights to free speech!"

She WAS being despicable, but nobody is trying to take away her right to be despicable. It's just easier to manufacture that concept and argue it than it is to explain why her comments were not, in fact, despicable.

Inventing a fake argument is a good indicator that the accused knows her words were despicable and shameful, and would prefer to draw attention away from the words.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:12 pm

Detritus wrote:
bdog wrote:Of course it's much easier to argue because it's true.

What's true? That she's falsely accusing her opponents of censorship in order to avoid taking responsibility for her own comments? That her comments and subsequent faux victimization are appalling? Or that her maneuver to turn disapproval into attempted censorship is hypocritical?

Sounds like a hat trick to me.

yes all of that is true. So is this:
rabble wrote:She never tried to defend her actual speech.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:17 pm

Bland wrote:I heard from a guy who knows somebody that Althouse's latest post was written from a whorehouse in Budapest. It is rumored she went to do some research but stayed for the fabulous breakfast bar. Could that be true? If it is, I find her actions deplorable. I don't believe it personally, but I think everyone has the right to know that my irresponsible friend thinks she's turning tricks for crepes. Does anyone have any evidence she's not? Would she tell us if he did?

You've raised lots of interesting questions. I just hope you no one tries to shut down this discussion with any overwrought criticism. That would be shameful and appalling.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:27 pm

Althouse got caught up in one of those feeding frenzies that periodically grip her buddies in the right-wing blogosphere. She wrote some dumb and embarrassing things. People, including me, criticized her for that.

Now she's freaking out over that criticism. Apparently it's OK for Ms Althouse to write whatever she wants about Ms Clinton, but it's not OK for others to write what they think about Ms Althouse. Apparently she doesn't understand the distinction between expressing disapproval of someone's speech and trying to censor someone's speech. Or perhaps she understands that distinction but hopes her readers will miss it.

In any case, this doesn't seem to be one of her better days.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:21 pm

And not only does she keep up her conspiracy, but she links to a comment on her own blog:

The issue in my view was the unnecessary and dishonest secrecy of Clinton and her doctors. Very Soviet; Stalins MDs routinely lied for him. Now she is viewed with similar suspicion.

http://althouse.blogspot.com/2013/01/th ... 7182293168

Emphasis mine. Wow is all I can say. It's one thing to have idiots posting in the comment section, but now she links to them. Is this person even a doctor?

This is bottom dredging, even for her.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:29 pm

Just for fun from the same blog post comments:

National Enquirer said a few weeks ago that she has a brain tumor. Yes, it is the NE. But it was also the NE who was willing to report on the Edwards/Hunter baby affair that none of the "responsible" press would report on.

Let's see who eventually turns out to be right.

John Henry

That's the people who read her crap.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:23 pm

The issue in my view was the unnecessary and dishonest secrecy of Clinton and her doctors.
Yeah it is totally dishonest for doctors to keep details about their patients off the public record. Why, the nerve of these quacks!

BTW-Did you see the comment right below this one? Allow me to paraphrase. "I am not a doctor, but I play one on the internet." Good stuff.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:24 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
John Henry

That's the people who read her crap.
Also another of the "I am not a right-winger!" crowd.

Gotta wonder why these people are so adamant that they don't belong to thier own club......
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Talon Newsman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:27 pm

It's grossly unfair of you leftists to judge Ann by the idiots who read and comment on her blog.
Talon Newsman
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:11 am

It's grossly unfair of you leftists to judge Ann by the idiots who read and comment on her blog.

Ah, the irony.

I followed the link to her blog comments (given above). Damn, that's some funny stuff. For one fleeting moment, I considered reading more often. I had no idea so many pompous weirdos could congregate in one place.

Then I came to this comment, taken from the same comments link as the earlier poster gave -- http://althouse.blogspot.com/2013/01/th ... 7182293168:

Let me tell you that a core motivation to my blogging — and I've been going at this for 9 years now — is to stand tough against people who try to cut off debate with this kind of shaming.

I don't think Wonkette wants you to stop. I think they want you to continue with this asinine Clot Truther speculation so they can continue mocking you.

It's easier to just keep reading Wonkette, a favorite of mine anyway. They're way better at what they do than Althouse is at whatever on earth she thinks she's doing:

http://wonkette.com/495041/concussion-g ... ore-495041
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:40 am

Clearly this thread has been jacked. Thank you Sno for coming down with a hammer.

I wish our SOS Hillary well.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government