MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Pocket Pet Proposal

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Pocket Pet Proposal

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:20 am

City alderman proposes legalizing 'pocket pet' marsupials called sugar gliders
(Cute pics included in link.)

So what do forons say, yea or nay?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Pocket Pet Proposal

Postby Madsci » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:53 pm

Nay, there are plenty of cute animals to be adopted from your local humane society or shelter. Why add another exotic pet? Besides it seems they do need a bit of special care to keep them healthy.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:04 pm

If it passes I'm guessing a lot of people will buy them for their kids only to have them die because they need such special care. I think it's a bad idea.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:43 am

Stebben84 wrote:If it passes I'm guessing a lot of people will buy them for their kids only to have them die because they need such special care. I think it's a bad idea.

And then the week after Kleefisch will introduce legislation allow them to be hunted
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:45 am

And then the week after Kleefisch will introduce legislation allow them to be hunted

You mean the kids?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:04 pm

I am firmly in the undecided column. I don't particularly like to have the government tell people what they can and can't have as pets unless the critter in question is potentially harmful. But this particular animal seems particularly vulnerable to mistreatment in terms of not getting as much attention as it appears to need. And, do we know if they can survive on their own around here? If they can, is there any potential ecological impact? They look like a food source for owls, but who knows?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:07 pm

Wow Tamagotchi has come a long way.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:17 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

You mean the kids?

That's the week after when they address education.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:53 pm

I think this topic is ignoring the obviously more important issue:
The proposed county rules, which would allow sugar gliders and all other marsupials, including kangaroos, are being reviewed by committees.

I don't know about any other former Madisonians but the right to own a Kangaroo might be enough to get me to move back.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:07 pm

Numbats, people.

Now I just need a reliable source for termites...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:44 pm

If only some race of alien giants would decide that we make cute little pocket pets. Most of us would probably get flushed down giant alien toilets within 2 weeks.

I agree with Madsci, there is no shortage of available pets, every bit as cute and loving as these. Nature put them in Australia, they should probably stay there.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:13 pm

And here it is from the veterinary perspective: cute, but with pretty specific needs as far as maintaining good health. When one then considers that the people who will want/get one of these often struggle with taking adequate care of a domestic animal, what the likely outcomes are here are not going to be good for the gliders. With a bit of research, it is also not difficult to find sugar glider rescue groups which should also tell you something. By the way and just in case anyone thought this was a backup plan, zoos will not take these exotic species animals off your hands for you. They will not introduce animals from unknown sources into their collections and it is not part of their mission to be the local "wildlife shelter". Had two teenage girls call me one time to examine their newly acquired marmoset and it was obvious they knew absolutely nothing about the species or primates in general. When I asked about where they got it, how they planned to take care of it, did their parents approve of this, etc., they told me they planned to give it to the zoo when it got older anyway so they really weren't too concerned about "all that other stuff" (!).

Seriously, just because an animal is "cute" doesn't mean it should be someone's pet. Adopt a dog and donate to a wildlife group - that is a much better idea.

Perhaps better legislation would be to ban the sale of such animals, rather than the ownership. If they can't be sold, then people (mostly) can't get their hands on them.
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:18 pm

It seems pretty obvious to me that these pets will lead to the evolution of the superbug zombie virus that will cause the apocalypse we've all been prepping for.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:17 pm

Not to mention, people with pockets full of rodent shit.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:05 am

a lot of breeders of sugar gliders (petaurus breviceps, waterhouse 1839), the other lesser gliding possums, and other animals newer the path to domestication require a questionnare and interview before selling. now if pet stores in the city are required to keep a log like the one for purchasing codeine or other csa schedule v preparations at the chemist's shop, it might work out.

having had a pet siberian flying squirrel (pteromys volans, linnaeus 1758) when i was a kid and raising a litter of baby southern flying squirrels (glaucomys volans, linnaeus 1758) whose mother was killed by the neighbour's cat and having one unreleasable one live with us for 12 years i can say that they are better as a pet or educational animal and about 3 to 4 times as cute, and they are native to the north central united states; in fact, dane county is in the area where their range overlaps with the northern flying squirrel (glaucomys sabrinus, shaw 1801). one thing to consider: they are nocturnal.

they should legalise mongooses too.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government