MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Top Ten Movies of 2012

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Re: Top Ten Movies of 2012

Postby rrnate » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:37 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
rrnate wrote:I thought Prometheus was really great and is pretty underrated right now - I'm quite positive that in 10-15 years, it'll have the rep it deserves.
I've got a sawbuck that says in 10-15 years, most everyone will have forgotten it completely.

Hmm - can we make a 10-year bet?

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:[
rrnate wrote:I thought Leo was fine in it, but the part was a good part - an actually good actor (certainly Welles, but any good Character actor - I would have killed to see Walter Goggins in this part instead) would have made it a very memorable role.
Hell, yes! Goggins would've been great. And as it was, he was mostly wasted (which is particularly strange, as it is my understanding that his role was originally two characters which were combined when other actors dropped out. So there were originally two characters with little to do and almost no screen time?)

Yeah - at least Goggins got to have one hell of a death scene, but when I heard he was in it, I definitely thought he'd have more of a role. Tarantino also kinda wasted Don Johnson (not that he's all that amazing, but that could have been anyone), MC Gainey, Zoe Bell...it was a little overstuffed.

rrnate wrote:Probably the most memorable theater experience I had this year (outside of the WI Film Fest) was seeing The Master, which I really liked a lot.
I really didn't like The Master. And the more I reflected on it, the less I liked it. Some good performances, to be sure, but boring as all get-out, and I don't think it amounted to much of anything. You'll have to explain to me what you think I'm missing some time.
[/quote]

I'd definitely agree that at times it's boring, but it just really stuck with me. I'd rate it under There Will Be Blood (which I loved) but higher than anything else by Anderson (I don't like Magnolia, think Boogie Nights is overrated). The script feels like it's about 2 pages long, but the acting and the visuals are so compelling, it just felt like a really amazing cinematic experience.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:48 am

rrnate wrote:Hmm - can we make a 10-year bet?
$5 says we can.

rrnate wrote:Tarantino also kinda wasted Don Johnson (not that he's all that amazing, but that could have been anyone)
Yeah, DJ was fine, but again, I wasn't overly impressed with any of the scenes he was in. I singled out the KKK scene as awful and worthy of ridicule, but the earlier plantation scene wasn't very good, either. Was I the only one who imagined that the offscreen conversations between Johnson and Waltz would have been far more entertaining than the dull shoot'em-dead scene we got with Foxx instead?

rrnate wrote:I'd definitely agree that at times it's boring, but it just really stuck with me. I'd rate it under There Will Be Blood (which I loved) but higher than anything else by Anderson (I don't like Magnolia, think Boogie Nights is overrated). The script feels like it's about 2 pages long, but the acting and the visuals are so compelling, it just felt like a really amazing cinematic experience.
Yes, Blood was fantastic. Boogie Nights was great until it decided to overstay its welcome -- talk about a movie that could've ended several times before it finally did. (Blood, btw, is one of the only movies in recent memory that earned its extravagant running time.)
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Schabow » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:30 pm

rrnate wrote:Also, since I watch a lot of horror movies, here are the top five best horror movies I saw this year.

4. The Innkeepers - slow burn, fun to watch, pretty creepy.

The Innkeepers? Really? That movie was pretentious and boring as hell.

Have you seen Stake Land? That almost made my list.
Schabow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Schabow » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:35 pm

rrnate wrote:Probably the most memorable theater experience I had this year (outside of the WI Film Fest) was seeing The Master, which I really liked a lot.
I really didn't like The Master. And the more I reflected on it, the less I liked it. Some good performances, to be sure, but boring as all get-out, and I don't think it amounted to much of anything. You'll have to explain to me what you think I'm missing some time.
[/quote]

I'd definitely agree that at times it's boring, but it just really stuck with me. I'd rate it under There Will Be Blood (which I loved) but higher than anything else by Anderson (I don't like Magnolia, think Boogie Nights is overrated). The script feels like it's about 2 pages long, but the acting and the visuals are so compelling, it just felt like a really amazing cinematic experience.[/quote]

"Punch Drunk Love" is PT Anderson's best movie. "There Will Be Blood" is a close second. "Magnolia" is most definetely overrated...but "Boogie Nights" is still a solid film.
Schabow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:46 pm

Schabow wrote:
rrnate wrote:Also, since I watch a lot of horror movies, here are the top five best horror movies I saw this year.

4. The Innkeepers - slow burn, fun to watch, pretty creepy.

The Innkeepers? Really? That movie was pretentious and boring as hell.

Have you seen Stake Land? That almost made my list.

Yeah, I like the previous movie from the director of Stake Land (Mulberry Street) quite a bit, was excited for Stake Land, and to me, it just felt like a bunch of cliches stacked on top of each other. Innkeepers felt like a different way to do a haunted house movie and I thought it was rad - just comes down to a difference in opinion. It's slowly paced and the scares are earned. (Definitely wouldn't call it 'pretentious', but then, I'd call Stake Land "dumb" - we are all snowflakes.)

Innkeepers had one of my favorite 'scare' scenes of the year (with the piano). Stake Land didn't even really feel like a horror movie - definitely at no point was it scary. I like the compare and contrast here, though - both have Kelly McGillis! (Only one of the movies uses her well, though.)
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:05 pm

Schabow wrote:"Punch Drunk Love" is PT Anderson's best movie.
I will never know if this is true as I cannot overcome my intense hatred of Adam Sandler to find out.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:09 pm

"Punch Drunk Love" is PT Anderson's best movie. "There Will Be Blood" is a close second. "Magnolia" is most definetely overrated...but "Boogie Nights" is still a solid film.

I'd rank them; There Will Be Blood, Boogie Nights, Magnolia, then Punch Drunk. Didn't care for Punch Drunk at all. Although I haven't seen it since it came out. Haven't seen The Master yet either. The wife won't sit through it she'd certainly fall asleep. Going to have to find some time when she's away I guess.
Last edited by fisticuffs on Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:16 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Schabow wrote:"Punch Drunk Love" is PT Anderson's best movie.
I will never know if this is true as I cannot overcome my intense hatred of Adam Sandler to find out.

Terrific movie, and it's 95 minutes long.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:30 pm

Schabow actually loaned Punch Drunk Love to me once and it just sat on my kitchen table for months before I finally returned it to him unwatched. I thought about watching it many times but every time I saw Sandler's picture, I couldn't bring myself to do it. Too many other movies I haven't seen yet to give that turd any more chances, no matter what anyone tells me, or how talented anyone else involved in the project is. I'll never watch another Jim Carrey film, either. Life's too short.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:43 pm

I do like Punch Drunk and back when it came out, it really blew my mind. (I was like 20 when it came out and hadn't seen a lot of not-very-mainstream movies.)

I still think it's pretty interesting, but similar to Magnolia, feels like an experiment that doesn't...quite...work. There Will Be Blood feels like he really jumped to a whole new level, skill-wise.

Basically, Punch Drunk is to Adam Sandler movies as Hard Eight is to the shitty Tarantino knockoffs of the '90's - one very talented director's take on a genre film.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ryanwiz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:09 pm

One-word reviews of the films listed thus far that I have actually seen:

Prometheus = terrible.
Cabin in the Woods = super.
Avengers = okay.
Moonrise Kingdom = fantastic.
V/H/S = fun.
The Innkeepers = boring.

That is all.
-Ryan
Ryanwiz

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:51 pm

Punch-Drunk Love makes the best use of the Shelley Duvall song "He Needs Me" from Popeye since ... Popeye.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Schabow » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:09 pm

Nate - I know you have Netflix streaming...you should check out the Turkish movie "Once Upon in Anatolia". It's pretty amazing....although be ready for a movie that likes to take it's time.
Schabow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:39 pm

Schabow wrote:Nate - I know you have Netflix streaming...you should check out the Turkish movie "Once Upon in Anatolia". It's pretty amazing....although be ready for a movie that likes to take it's time.

I will! It's been on my list and I'll definitely get to it. Slow pacing is almost never a problem for me.

Also, I can't really do an overall "best of 2012" list because as in any year, there are a lot of movies I want to see but won't 'til 2013. That being said, while a lot of the stuff I saw at the Wisconsin Film Fest was kinda lame, I did see one really awesome movie, "Sleepless Night", a french thriller that's really very rad. IF I was going to make a comprehensive list, this'd be on it.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Schabow » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:45 pm

Yeah, I forgot about "Sleepless Nights". Actually, that's not true. I looked it up and it was 2011, so I didn't put it on the list...but then yesterday, I started noticing it on some critics top ten list. So yes, "Sleepless Nights" would be up there for me.
Schabow
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Movies