There are several interesting things about this in no particular order.
1) Algore is getting rich off of oil which he claims will destroy the Earth. Used to claim that. Perhaps he doesn't anymore. Perhaps he never really cared about the environment, just liked making money. http://i.usatoday.net/news/_photos/2007 ... iningx.jpg
Perhaps he will now use his $100mm to buy coal mines.
2) Al Jazeera seems to have gotten taken. They thought they were buying 40mm homes but the day after the deal Time-Warner dropped them in 12mm homes.
3) They scurried to complete the deal before 12/31 to avoid paying extra taxes. I have no problem with this. We have a responsibility to pay no more taxes than we are legally liable for. However, isn't Gore one of the ones who are always say the high income should pay more? Good for the goose, good for the gander.
4) Glenn Beck offered to buy the network, apparently. He was turned down based on his politics. Depending on what he offered and how, if it was more/better than Al Jazeera wound up paying, Some minority shareholder may have grounds for a lawsuit. Even if that Harvard law professor says that such lawsuits can't happen.
OTOH, Glenn Beck is doing just fine where he is. If he did offer to buy Current, I doubt if he offered anything like $500mm.
5) It demonstrates that even if one doesn't do good in politics, one can still do well.
6) I wonder if Current has any Jewish employees? Will they be allowed to stay on? Will they be discriminated against by the new owners? Will the new owners, by supporting anti-semitism and/or anti-zionism globally (if they do) be creating a hostile work environment under state and federal law? Even if they do not discriminate against any actual employees.
Plenty of potentially interesting lawsuits there.
Or, perhaps they will treat their Jewish employees impartially and fairly as they are required to do under US law. What will this do to their credibility in the Arab world?
7) Will Al Jazeera, dependent on oil money, use the channel as a platform for anti-natural gas propaganda?
I predict that this will be very interesting. I also predict that Al Jazeera will do no better with the channel than Algore and friends did. If the channel still exists in 3-4 years someone else will probably own it. Perhaps Glenn Beck?
I used to get Current when I had Dish Network. Even watched it from time to time. I do not get it from Liberty Cable.