MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Al Jazeera buys Gore's Current TV

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Al Jazeera buys Gore's Current TV

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:54 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
johnfajardohenry wrote:Anything factually incorrect or untrue in my note, Rabble?

Well for starters his name is Al Gore.


That is what I said: Algore.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1443
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Al Jazeera buys Gore's Current TV

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:58 pm

acereraser wrote:I know it involves analysis, and not straight factual measurement,


Whether Algore did more harm than good as a politician or even whether he did any good at all, is an opinion. It cannot be factually correct or incorrect.


And once we settle on that, who did better, Gore or Palin?


Palin by far for helping to stir up the Tea Party movement. and for being a libertarian.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1443
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Al Jazeera buys Gore's Current TV

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:05 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:Glenn Beck ... self-identifies as ... (gross) just from his website.

Factual.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8413
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Re: Al Jazeera buys Gore's Current TV

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:35 pm

wack wack wrote:
I searched for all the stuff you mentioned and couldn't find anything. Got links?


1) There was a link to Gore's zinc mine in the original note.

2) "THURSDAY, JAN 3, 2013 11:57 AM AST
Time Warner drops Current after Al Jazeera deal
Al Jazeera's struggle to reach U.S. homes meets another setback after major deal to buy Gore's network goes through"

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/03/time_wa ... eera_deal/

3) "Mr. Gore and his partners were eager to complete the deal by Dec. 31, lest it be subject to higher tax rates that took effect on Jan. 1, 2013."

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ... nt-tv/?hpw

4)"The [Wall Street-JRH] Journal reported:

Other suitors who didn't share Current's ideology were rebuffed. Glenn Beck's The Blaze approached Current about buying the channel last year, but was told that "the legacy of who the network goes to is important to us and we are sensitive to networks not aligned with our point of view," according to a person familiar with the negotiations."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/0 ... 02273.html

The same HuffPo article also quoted Beck today in an update as saying:

"[Gore] didn’t sell to the highest bidder. We were not allowed to the table. He didn’t sell to the highest bidder. He looked for, who do I ideologically align with," Beck said."
<snip>

If true and if there are minority shareholders and if they are so inclined, those shareholders might have grounds for suit against Algore and the other Current directors.

5) My opinion which cannot be factually correct or incorrect.

6) My speculation based on familiarity with US anti-discrimination law.

7) A question, not a statement of fact. Al Jazeera runs a lot of anti-fracking stories. That is to be expected since they are funded by oil producers and fracking and natural gas cut into the revenues. It is just the same as the Sierra Club bashing coal while being significantly funded by Chesapeake Gas. (Yes, I know. Sierra Club says that they are no longer getting 25% of their funding from Chesapeake. Some people might take them at their word)

So I don't know why you had problems finding the factual stuff I posted. Perhaps you need to better learn how to use search engines.

Image

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1443
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Al Jazeera buys Gore's Current TV

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:41 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
johnfajardohenry wrote:Glenn Beck ... self-identifies as ... (gross) just from his website.

Factual.


If you are going to quote me, quote me. I am happy to stand by my words.

Don't make up stuff and claim that I said it.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1443
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Al Jazeera buys Gore's Current TV

Postby david cohen » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:43 pm

If you have any respect for a dry alcoholic who once called the spouse of a co-worker, on the air, to feed her crap about her recent miscarriage...then may the entire volume of sand from Luquillo Beach work it's way out of your colon very, very, very slowly.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1430
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:48 pm

Re: Al Jazeera buys Gore's Current TV

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:42 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:
johnfajardohenry wrote:Glenn Beck ... self-identifies as ... (gross) just from his website.

Factual.

If you are going to quote me, quote me. I am happy to stand by my words.

Don't make up stuff and claim that I said it.

But you did. (Well, you wrote them.)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8413
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Re: Al Jazeera buys Gore's Current TV

Postby Bland » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:12 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:If you are going to quote me, quote me. I am happy to stand by my words.


Then quote you I shall!
johnfajardohenry wrote:I was having anal sex with a puppy while strangling the goat.

I later ran the puppy through a blender to hide the evidence and stewed the goat. Goat is good eating. I am not going to waste a perfectly good goat.

John Henry

That's a direct quote as the link proves! And don't forget, folks - I was the intrepid reporter who broke this amazing story for The Bland Enquirer!
Bland
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Al Jazeera buys Gore's Current TV

Postby Sandi » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:38 pm

I see nothing wrong with Al Jazeera buying Current TV. They are not a network I would watch, but neither are many of the current US networks. Al Jazeera can be no worse and dishonest than many current networks. Like say NBC or especially MSNBC.

AS for completing the deal before 12/31 to avoid paying extra taxes: that is just good, non-hypocritical business sense.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: Al Jazeera buys Gore's Current TV

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:44 pm

Sandi wrote:I see nothing wrong with Al Jazeera buying Current TV. They are not a network I would watch, but neither are many of the current US networks. Al Jazeera can be no worse and dishonest than many current networks. Like say NBC or especially MSNBC.

Let me guess, FOX News is your favorite source.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 20282
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Al Jazeera buys Gore's Current TV

Postby Sandi » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:19 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Sandi wrote:I see nothing wrong with Al Jazeera buying Current TV. They are not a network I would watch, but neither are many of the current US networks. Al Jazeera can be no worse and dishonest than many current networks. Like say NBC or especially MSNBC.

Let me guess, FOX News is your favorite source.


I wouldn't claim any news network as favorite. However the network I watch daily ( and displays in a widow on my computer - PCTV card ) is CNN. I do once in awhile switch to FOX on weekends to catch John Stossel.

That said, was there a point to your question, or only an attempt to belitle?
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: Al Jazeera buys Gore's Current TV

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:48 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:
Well, Duh...

I respect Glenn Beck. I don't respect Algore.

I don't follow him much but the little I see and hear of him sounds good to me.

John Henry


Wow, just wow. Ya know that 1) Colin P. met with this group right after the AJ scourgie thing, 2) there are a bunch of journalists over at AJ that trained up at the BBC, 3) I wonder when we will see through such anger, 4) I couldn't give a shit about beck or gore. A half billion seems steep, but such investments often end up making sense once ya escape the stagnation. Duh!?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1464
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:36 pm

Re: Al Jazeera buys Gore's Current TV

Postby bcs89 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:53 am

Sandi wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:
Sandi wrote:I see nothing wrong with Al Jazeera buying Current TV. They are not a network I would watch, but neither are many of the current US networks. Al Jazeera can be no worse and dishonest than many current networks. Like say NBC or especially MSNBC.

Let me guess, FOX News is your favorite source.


I wouldn't claim any news network as favorite. However the network I watch daily ( and displays in a widow on my computer - PCTV card ) is CNN. I do once in awhile switch to FOX on weekends to catch John Stossel.

That said, was there a point to your question, or only an attempt to belitle?



You two were not introduced?
bcs89
Senior Member
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:10 pm

Re: Al Jazeera buys Gore's Current TV

Postby wack wack » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:22 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:
rabble wrote:You should ask around, John. I'm sure there's a market for good comedy writers even in the area where you claim to live. I'm glad to have given you a good starting point for your alternate history stories.



Anything factually incorrect or untrue in my note, Rabble?

John Henry


In your own words:

johnfajardohenry wrote:5) My opinion which cannot be factually correct or incorrect.

6) My speculation based on familiarity with US anti-discrimination law.

7) A question, not a statement of fact. Al Jazeera runs a lot of anti-fracking stories. That is to be expected since they are funded by oil producers and fracking and natural gas cut into the revenues. It is just the same as the Sierra Club bashing coal while being significantly funded by Chesapeake Gas. (Yes, I know. Sierra Club says that they are no longer getting 25% of their funding from Chesapeake. Some people might take them at their word)


johnfajardohenry wrote:So I don't know why you had problems finding the factual stuff I posted. Perhaps you need to better learn how to use search engines.

Image

John Henry


Right. The problem wasn't find, John, it was fact.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3192
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm

Re: Al Jazeera buys Gore's Current TV

Postby jammybastard » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:26 pm

http://gawker.com/5972707/all-the-best- ... current-tv

Search Twitter... #CurrentAlJazeeraShowPitches


#CurrentAlJazeeraShowPitches 16 and Pregnant and Murdered

— Angela Morabito (@_AngelaMorabito) January 2, 2013

Stoned in Afghanistan #CurrentAlJazeeraShowPitches

— Erick Erickson (@EWErickson) January 2, 2013

We have a winner right here.—-> RT @brianhtan: @talkmaster @ewerickson#CurrentAlJazeeraShowPitches "How I met your mullah"

— Erick Erickson (@EWErickson) January 2, 2013

#CurrentAlJazeeraShowPitches Arabia's Funniest Home Beheadings

— David Burge (@iowahawkblog) January 2, 2013

#currentaljazeerashowpitches Say Yes to the Dress that Covers Everything But Your Eyes

— Angela Morabito (@_AngelaMorabito) January 2, 2013

#CurrentAlJazeeraShowPitches Real Submissive Housewives of the Middle East

— 30Angel Gone Coastal (@GNGstaGrizzette) January 3, 2013

#CurrentAlJazeeraShowPitches Joanie Obeys Chachi

— Jon Gabriel (@ExJon) January 2, 2013

Sharia Law & Order #CurrentAlJazeeraShowPitches

— Rex Harrison's Hat (@RexHarrisonsHat) January 2, 2013

#CurrentAlJazeeraShowPitches How I Met Your Camel

— Annabella (@IAMINTOSAVINGS) January 3, 2013

#CurrentAlJazeeraShowPitchesQueer Eye for the...never mind they killed them all.

— Redonda McNeil (@dondalynn) January 3, 2013

My Three Wives. #CurrentAlJazeeraShowPitches

— Beckett (@Beckett8) January 3, 2013

Planes, Trains and Automobiles Go Boom #CurrentAlJazeeraShowPitches

— J. Clark (@KingTuskaloosa) January 3, 2013
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5463
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2001 12:05 pm
Location: All Up In Your General Area

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: metas and 3 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar