MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Do you/should you, lock your doors

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Do you/should you, lock your doors

Postby doppel » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:47 pm

Have always locked the doors. Had an attempted break-in only two weeks ago. First time ever. I think they saw only one set of tracks leaving the driveway just after the snow started falling. No tracks in the driveway or around the side of the house when we returned, so we really didn't discover the cracked garage back-door frame damage until the next day. Fortunatly nothing was missing, as they only gained entry to the garage. Most likely, two large St. Bernards barking helped them decide to go elsewhere. The other car sitting the garage might have been a factor, too. Mostly, I believe some vet bills were earned that day. Those two sound like twelve with their alternate side barking.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:29 pm

We always locked the door at night when I was growing up. As an adult living in the city, I usually kept the door locked to keep out certain people like the religious preachy types or the police, and to keep the dogs from being let out by mistake. Having a couple of big dogs meant that I could keep the windows open more than the safety locks allowed when someone was home. When I was gone the safety locks allowed some ventilation and kept the dogs from busting through the screen window.

Now out on the farm, we don't lock the door and our windows don't have safety locks. Our dogs haven't busted though a screen yet.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:28 am

When I was growing up we sometimes locked the door, but always kept the key right in the garage. Everyone knew this. (It was a small town, and people also left the keys in their car all the time.) As a teenager, I came home one day (my parents were on vacation) to find my friends in the house all drunk on my dad's liquor.

The policy never changed, though.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:17 pm

I live downtown and lock my doors. When I stay with my boyfriend out in the country, we lock the doors, too. I don't find it inconvenient.

I think it was the summer of 1996 that a man was going in through open windows downtown and raping women. He raped a friend of mine. I was out at the bar with her that night. 40 years ago my aunt was attacked in her country home when she was alone with her young kids. That person later murdered someone else.

I don't feel I live in fear of those events. However, I have learned what can happen if you don't lock up. It's a low-cost, low time commitment safety mechanism.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:34 pm

I'm often amused at people's 'hidden" keys. Growing up, ours was on the screen porch hanging on a nail just to the side of the storm door. I still see them there or under the mat, or under the one random flower pot that's sitting slightly tilted...because there's a key on a ring under it.

Some of my customers have better hiding places, like in a little magnet box, but then it's hidden right out in the front yard for everyone to see when I'm fishing around for it.

How many of you use your address for your garage door key pad code?

Donald wrote:People who don't lock their doors, are pretty much saying, "grab my stuff."

How do you feel about people who have expensive furniture on open porches or patios? Lawn and garden ornaments, solar outdoor lighting, and even a decent hose all cost money. Are people "dumb" to have those things just sitting out there?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:32 pm

I guess that explains why someone stole my lawn jockey;)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:42 pm

david cohen wrote:I guess that explains why someone stole my lawn jockey;)
Stop channeling Ned.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:10 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
Donald wrote:People who don't lock their doors, are pretty much saying, "grab my stuff."

How do you feel about people who have expensive furniture on open porches or patios? Lawn and garden ornaments, solar outdoor lighting, and even a decent hose all cost money. Are people "dumb" to have those things just sitting out there?

The lawn/garden ornaments and solar lighting are more likely to be taken by kids/teenagers. Most of that stuff isn't worth taking because you can't make enough from it for it to be worthwhile. Women buy most of that stuff, and they're generally a lot more likely to be suspicious of someone trying to sell it to you cheap. And the furniture is not easily taken. Shit lifted from people's garages is another matter. I have been approached several times by people wanting to sell me tools, likely lifted from someone's truck or garage. Men tend to lose their better judgement when presented with a cheap price for some tools.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:52 pm

There was a regular on craigslist tools that obviously worked at Home Depot and made frequent use of the back door. All the ads were brands they carry, brand new in the box, close-up photo of the box and the same phone number. I thought about telling someone at HD. Of course I also thought about writing the person and placing an order. I did neither.

The people I know who don't regularly lock their doors aren't stupid, they're not oblivious to the risk or under the assumption that it can't happen to them. If my neighbor didn't lock his house I wouldn't feel like he was creating a more risky environment for me.

I think a barking dog is possibly the best deterrent you can have. Especially a dog that sounds kinda big.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:19 am

narcoleptish wrote:I think a barking dog is possibly the best deterrent you can have. Especially a dog that sounds kinda big.
It's the best deterrent for good neighbors, that's for sure.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:30 pm

My big dog barks whenever the security lights at my home or my neighbor's home get tripped. Late one night someone breached the backyard gate and my security lights went on, so I let her out to chase them away. She did, barking up a storm. The next morning the cops showed up to convey a complaint by my neighbor about my dog barking. I explained the circumstances. The cop laughed and reminded me that owning a dog is a priviledge. I don't let her out anymore at night to bark when my neighbor's security lights go on.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:59 pm

When I was a child, my family only locked the doors at night. We would come home from school before our parents got home and enter through an unlocked door. This was in a suburban neighborhood and we didn't own flashy things, and nothing ever came of it.

In college, I left the front door unlocked for a roommate I was expecting to arrive soon. He stayed out late that night and a guy searching for drugs came into the house and took a few orange bottles of Rx pills (they were antibiotics). I was awoken by a cop standing in my bedroom shining a flashlight in my face, since the front door had been left wide open and the police just walked in. The police had caught the guy down the block with his cargo pants full of Rx bottles with labels conveniently indicating which addresses he had just burglarized. I made a better effort to lock the door from that point forward.

My current housemate is a habitual door-locker and it occasionally annoys me - for instance, when I say "Hey, I'm headed out for a grocery trip, see you in a half hour" in broad daylight and return to find the door locked, requiring me to put down my bags and fish out my keys. ("Aw, goddammit!") In my current neighborhood, I would never lock the door while awake at home.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby KidCapitol » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:42 pm

We don't live that far away from blacks and low income housing and there have been a few neighborhood shootings in the area so of course we do.
Also there was a serial killer who went up and checked people's doors. If it was unlocked, he went in and killed them.
Even though it may not happen again, why take that chance?
KidCapitol
Forum Addict

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:05 pm

KidCapitol wrote:We don't live that far away from blacks

Seriously?
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:14 pm

KidCapitol wrote:Also there was a serial killer who went up and checked people's doors. If it was unlocked, he went in and killed them. Even though it may not happen again, why take that chance?

But wait, what if there was a serial killer who went up to checked people's doors and then only broke into houses where the doors were locked, just to bewilder his victims? (assume that he was really sneaky at break-ins too) That may have have never happened, and may never happen, but why take that chance?
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All