MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

No one wants to talk about Christie?!

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

No one wants to talk about Christie?!

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:33 pm

I have not been a big fan of Mr. Christie with his adherence to the policy of punishment of public workers, the hip link to the K- brothers, etc. But, this was blunt and serious:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=xSI7aZjq ... SI7aZjqeHY

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=83S0cBGU ... 3S0cBGUvVE

If you have some time have a look and see what you think. I listened to the full press conference yesterday, it was very interesting. I liked hearing plain and blunt speak from a member of this party showing leadership.
MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Re: No one wants to talk about Christie?!

Postby Donald » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:35 pm

One of the things about being older is that I've seen this type of politician before. I don't know if Christie is purposely impersonating Bill Janklow (former controversial governor of South Dakota), but Christie has the same political style and speaking cadence, and many of the same positions on issues. In fact, the weight issue is the same. Janklow was always able to be extremely bi-partisan when it was necessary to get his way, but he was also ruthless and dictatorial in governance. As a result, I am not impressed by Christie. In fact it scares me a bit, because I know this sort of political style is attractive to a lot of people.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:07 am

Donald,
Your point is well taken by me as the thought you give voice to lingers in the back of my mind. Although, I have no doubt that Mr. Christie is advocating earnestly on behalf of his state with no immediate political downside. It seems worth keeping a watchful eye on this player.
MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:37 pm

I'd like to like Christie but I know that if he runs on the GOP ticket
that by the time he gets into the dog days of the election cycle
he'll be spouting shit to please Sheldon Adelson, Koch Bros. and the radical right.
After all ya gotta dance with the ones who bring ya.
Instead of sounding like a principled, even handed candidate who realises he is running to represent ALL Americans he'll sound like Marco Rubio or worse Louie Gohmert who don't give a fuck about the majority of Americans.

Love or hate Obama, he takes great pains to say that he knows he represents everyone and tries to serve us all.
Which is an impossible, thankless job.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:52 pm

Question - when was the last time America selected a Fat President, and can it happen today? I'm not talking about a little chubbiness (Clinton, uh, Roosevelt?), I'm talking about maybe getting stuck in the bathtub, white elephant in the room fat.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:06 pm

rrnate wrote:Question - when was the last time America selected a Fat President, and can it happen today? I'm not talking about a little chubbiness (Clinton, uh, Roosevelt?), I'm talking about maybe getting stuck in the bathtub, white elephant in the room fat.

I can imagine him on Biggest Loser...
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:10 pm

Taft was the heaviest, followed by Cleveland. No one else comes close to your description, I don't think.

Taft literally got stuck in the tub on his inauguration day and had to be extracted by his staff. Not exactly a great start to the most important job of your life.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:16 pm

rrnate wrote:Question - when was the last time America selected a Fat President, and can it happen today? I'm not talking about a little chubbiness (Clinton, uh, Roosevelt?), I'm talking about maybe getting stuck in the bathtub, white elephant in the room fat.

I think this is a fair point because we have become much more conscious of our leader's health. I mean seriously, this guy can't be healthy at all. He's pretty damn big. Diabetes, heart issues, mobility issues. He ain't getting any younger. When is the last time you've seen a really old obese person? There's a reason you haven't.

Other than that, I'm kind of on the fence with the guy. He doesn't fuck around and he does what he truly believes to be right(even if I disagree) I don't feel like he plays the "game" like other political figures.

Unfortunately I believe this to be true:

jammybastard wrote:he'll be spouting shit to please Sheldon Adelson, Koch Bros. and the radical right.
After all ya gotta dance with the ones who bring ya.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:12 pm

Once we get a shirtless pic on some NJ beach, I'll make up my mind.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:47 pm

rrnate wrote:Once we get a shirtless pic on some NJ beach, I'll make up my mind.

Oh dear God, no. I'd vote for him if he promises never ever to show himself without a shirt on...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:15 pm

All fat jokes to the aside. Have you been to the Villas Zoo this fall/winter? I have an it was wonderful to see Lucille tromp around and have such trouble figuring out how to take the plunge behind her parents. Mommy seal violently nipped at daddy, Lucille hadn't figured out where it is safe to plunge in and there were us bozo's standing around and watching.
MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:28 pm

It's not fat jokes. Christie is obese. That's an issue.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:53 pm

Stebben84 wrote:It's not fat jokes. Christie is obese. That's an issue.

Odd discussion, this is Wisconsin right? Mr. Christie has much more to be worried about than his girth.

http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/state/ ... ds-request

Although I wonder if this a Saul to Paul moment...

MH - barking wildly, as usual
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:54 am

Christie is an operative in the hard Right's decade long effort to steer Black American politics rightward. Here he is along with Jindel praising corporate Democrat Cory Booker's school privitization efforts.
http://www.prnewswire.com/new-releases/newark-mayor-cory-booker-enraptures-crowd-at-afc-policy-summit-150215355.html
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government