MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Bands that failed to save rock and roll

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: Bands that failed to save rock and roll

Postby Kyle Motor » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:40 pm

christopher_robin wrote:It's not like there's no audience for rock; quite the contrary. But the acts moving units are indescribably awful. WHY

Because those are the acts that the major labels have poured all the money into. They're homogenized down to the blandest of the bland, and sold to the masses next to American Idol and Toby Keith.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:47 pm

Counterpoint - most people that like good rock bands steal albums online now, as opposed to buying them at Sam Goody, or wherever the F people are buying Creed these days.

I have no prob with people getting in to things like Staind, Two & A Half Men, etc. - in fact, it makes me feel good about myself and my ska band, who are on schedule to save rock and roll in 2014 (by assassinating Kyle Motor).

I'm on like 3 hours of sleep here, so if I'm revealing too much, I'm sorry.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby earlfoss » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:48 pm

I got a chance to listen to the radio on the 4hr drive back from MN last week and I was amazed at just how bad it all is.

What is America's fascination with Maroon 5? They were on almost every station I listened to on the drive. They make bad music.

Modern country radio is a whole other wasteland I won't get into right now.
earlfoss
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:51 pm

Counterpoint - most people that like good rock bands steal albums online now, as opposed to buying them at Sam Goody, or wherever the F people are buying Creed these days.

People steal Creed just as much. That's a big part of the change as well. Those huge record companies need to be a lot pickier than they used to. Of course by pickier I mean they need to sign the most bland widely appealing artists not the best. The days of making money off recorded music are done. The record labels are almost inconsequential. The only people buying physical media anymore are buying Nashville country pop because they can't figure out how to use iTunes.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:06 pm

fisticuffs wrote:People steal Creed just as much.

No, I don't think so. I'm sure there are tons of people stealing Creed and Toby Keith and whatnot, but these admittedly dumb acts are the ones that have large parts of their audience that either haven't figured out how to do it or feel it's immoral and don't or whatever.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:10 pm

earlfoss wrote:What is America's fascination with Maroon 5? They were on almost every station I listened to on the drive. They make bad music.

That one guy is on the TV??!?! I'm guessing you don't know that. If you did, he'd already have a tiny, shitty-version-of-bad-Stevie-Wonder-shaped space carved out in your black, black heart.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:10 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Remember when Rick Nielsen said that Cheap Trick is better than the Beatles?

Bun E. vs. Ringo.

Game over.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:14 pm

rrnate wrote:

No, I don't think so. I'm sure there are tons of people stealing Creed and Toby Keith and whatnot, but these admittedly dumb acts are the ones that have large parts of their audience that either haven't figured out how to do it or feel it's immoral and don't or whatever.

I think you underestimate the fans of current mainstream rock as far as their ability to steal digital files online.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby earlfoss » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:18 pm

We need a system set up where people who stole those Creed and Toby Keith files can give them back no questions asked. They can be safely destroyed and cause no more harm.
earlfoss
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:22 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:
rrnate wrote:

I think you underestimate the fans of current mainstream rock as far as their ability to steal digital files online.

I fully agree. Altough(I don't have time to look it up now), studies show that people who download illegally actually purchase more music than the average music listener. For whatever that's worth.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:23 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:
rrnate wrote:

I think you OVERestimate them. Stalemate!

To get back to Christopher Robin's original kvetch though, the current "alternative rock" chart from Billboard is hardly full of sturm n' durng headbangers of the shirtless frontdouche variety.

1. Madness by Muse
2. Little Black Submarines by the Black Keys
3. I Will Wait by Mumford & Sons
4. Hey Ho by The Lumineers
5. Trojans by Atlas Genius
6. Radioactive by Imagine Dragons
7. Mountain Sound by Of Monsters & Men
8. Take A Walk by Passion Pit
9. Carry On by fun.
10. The Pit by Silversun Pickups

Not an amazing list of high quality standards for the ages, but it seems pretty clear that the internet thing is catching up with whatever formula Billboard uses now (pretty sure they've included streaming for the last year or two) and frankly, as a "most popular music on the charts" list, we've done much, much worse as a country.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:24 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I fully agree. Altough(I don't have time to look it up now), studies show that people who download illegally actually purchase more music than the average music listener. For whatever that's worth.

Uh, I'd take any study that says that with a grain of self-reporting-non-observed-respondents-also-claim-they-don't-masturbate grain of salt.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:29 pm

earlfoss wrote:We need a system set up where people who stole those Creed and Toby Keith files can give them back no questions asked. They can be safely destroyed and cause no more harm.

I dunno - asking some questions might prove pretty useful for righting a decade's worth of wrongs.

Don't you want to learn from history Earl?
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:41 pm

I'm not fully on board with the Killers, but on NPR the other day there was an interesting piece about them that kind of relates to this topic.

The Killers Return, Guitar-Rock Holdouts In A Pop World
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:08 pm

The Killers make me want to kill myself. They are just as bad as Creed, et al.

The one on Christopher's list of 10 that's not bad is Foo Fighters.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to General Music