MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

The gun thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The gun thread

Postby wack wack » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:00 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:Stebben,

First, you do agree that gun and ammo sales have gone through the roof in the past year and especially in the past month? I just read this AM that they are up 19% for 2012 and 39% for December.

Second, would you agree that President Obie's current and prospective policies, real or perceived, are the reason for this?

John Henry

Do you really believe this? You must not know very many gun owners. Gun owners constantly look for excuses to buy guns. Their like drug addicts, but far more unstable and dangerous.

"Real" and "perceived" are nowhere close to equal.

Amusing that you believe members of the "Party of Personal Responsibility" are completely powerless to control themselves in the face of the evil Obie.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:38 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:Both repo and demmie as well as Obie are intended as signs of disrespect.

That may be the message you intend, but the message you send is "I'm an idiot."

I can't fathom why you'd choose to paint that picture of yourself, but I'm not complaining. I prefer the posts in which you sound like a third grader.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:11 pm

wack wack wrote: You must not know very many gun owners. Gun owners constantly look for excuses to buy guns. Their like drug addicts, but far more unstable and dangerous.

You must be referring to the legions of blaze orange, NRA supporting, whiskey flasked, Democrat deer hunters out here in rural Wisconsin.
Last edited by Stella_Guru on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:30 pm

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Military/2 ... th-the-NRA

US military commanders are increasingly expressing frustration with the National Rifle Association for blocking what they feel are vital measures to keep troops safe.

“The majority of [suicides] have two things in common: Alcohol and a gun. That’s just the way it is,” General Peter Chiarelli, the Army’s former Vice Chief of Staff, told the Monitor this January, shortly before he retired...

The problem, say US military commanders, is that a new NRA-backed law prohibits them from engaging in discussions about weapons and safety.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:20 pm

Stella_Guru wrote:
wack wack wrote: You must not know very many gun owners. Gun owners constantly look for excuses to buy guns. Their like drug addicts, but far more unstable and dangerous.

You must be referring to the legions of blaze orange, NRA supporting, whiskey flasked, Democrat deer hunters out here in rural Wisconsin.

I have no doubt that hunters are part of the problem, not the solution.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:58 pm

Did anyone else see the NRA published a People to Ki... errrr.. list of people who hate guns list?
http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/01/the-b ... ates-guns/
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:26 pm

Check out conservative radio host Alex Jones taking on CNN's Piers Morgan. One of the most uncomfortable meandering tirades I've ever witnessed. I seriously thought he was going to start throwing punches at some point.

And no, this is not some fringe lunatic. He's no Rush Limbaugh, but he has hundreds of thousands of delusional Americans tuning into his show every day. Truther, Birther, Tea Party Patriot.

This man should not be permitted to own firearms. Seriously.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:32 pm

pjbogart wrote:Check out conservative radio host Alex Jones taking on CNN's Piers Morgan. One of the most uncomfortable meandering tirades I've ever witnessed. I seriously thought he was going to start throwing punches at some point.

Just watched that today. He is a total nut job and what's even more amusing is that he gets schooled by Morgan.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:20 pm

Former Represenative Gabrielle Giffords is lauching a PAC to counter the NRA.

Just in time for "Gun Appreciation Day", which will be held right before Obama's second inauguration.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:23 pm

Biden will talk with the NRA

The recommendations are still being crafted. As part of the process, Biden will be speaking with key lawmakers, officials and stakeholders in the debate, including the National Rifle Association, an NRA official confirmed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/0 ... 33090.html

I would love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:39 pm

I didn't watch any more than the first uncomfortable minute of the Alex Jones/Piers Morgan video. Inviting Alex Jones, a known nut who will predictably say nutty things, on your show to debate a serious topic seems like a pretty cheap move - a live straw man (with a tinfoil hat). It might be useful in breaking the spell for people who listen to/believe Jones and aren't exposed to more mainstream discourse, but it does little to advance the conversation more broadly.

There are much better and more serious opponents in the gun control debate. Did anyone post the piece by Sam Harris yet?
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:45 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:I didn't watch any more than the first uncomfortable minute of the Alex Jones/Piers Morgan video. Inviting Alex Jones, a known nut who will predictably say nutty things, on your show to debate a serious topic seems like a pretty cheap move - a live straw man (with a tinfoil hat).

I think you should go back and watch the entire clip, Arturo. That's apparently your free market at work. There's quite a market for paranoid gibbering about how the government is sneaking crazy pills into our food to get us to commit murders so they can take away our guns. The dude is completely insane. This is the kind of crap that ends up on our airwaves? Our PUBLIC airwaves?

The piece by Sam Harris was a good read, but surely you realize that most of the NRA types quit reading after the second sentence. Sensible gun laws? There is no such thing! If you tell me that I can't take my AK-47 to a school gymnasium, you're Hitler. Worse than Hitler!

Just ask Alex Jones.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:10 pm

pjbogart wrote:I think you should go back and watch the entire clip, Arturo. That's apparently your free market at work. There's quite a market for paranoid gibbering about how the government is sneaking crazy pills into our food to get us to commit murders so they can take away our guns. The dude is completely insane. This is the kind of crap that ends up on our airwaves? Our PUBLIC airwaves?

I don't know what you want me to say here. Alex Jones is pretty far out there. Just by inviting him to debate, Piers Morgan showed poor judgment - in what way does it advance journalism or truth for Piers to debate such a clown? I have no desire to listen to either of them.

If you want Alex Jones off the public airwaves, that's a different argument that has nothing to do with gun control so it need not be discussed here.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:40 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:I didn't watch any more than the first uncomfortable minute of the Alex Jones/Piers Morgan video. Inviting Alex Jones, a known nut who will predictably say nutty things, on your show to debate a serious topic seems like a pretty cheap move - a live straw man (with a tinfoil hat). It might be useful in breaking the spell for people who listen to/believe Jones and aren't exposed to more mainstream discourse, but it does little to advance the conversation more broadly.

Yes, exactly. In general, while it can be entertaining to have a sane person presenting one's own side of an argument in public, and a raving lunatic presenting the other side ... it's pretty cheap entertainment.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:15 am

Here's an idea: Any time a gun you bought is used in a crime, you face a fine. But what if somebody stole your gun from you? Maybe people will be more careful about their guns if they were held responsible if that gun is stolen and then used in a crime.

Same for ammunition, which could and should be highly traceable. Certainly adding features to make bullets more traceable will make them more expensive. Second amendment rights do not include being able to shoot as many bullets as often as you want for the cheapest possible cost, do they? Target shooting is a hobby like golf, kayaking or rock climbing. Why does it have to be inexpensive? And if your gun is only meant to protect your home, family and self, then how much ammo do you need?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines