MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Psychic Gallery closed, who could have seen this coming?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Psychic Gallery closed, who could have seen this coming?

Postby acereraser » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:30 pm

The sign on the door says entry is forbidden, the business is considered abandoned, and the contents are being held by the property manager. Are commercial evictions significantly trickier than residential ones? The writing seemed to be on the wall for years.

I am just happy the space is now available for a more stable enterprise, like a title loan dealer.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Psychic Gallery closed, who could have seen this coming?

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:26 pm

Maybe we can get a popcorn shop in there. I don't want to be left with just one on that block.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:45 pm

I wonder how that space will be affected by urban renewal on that block.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:45 pm

Maybe that fancy lingerie shop on E Johnson can expand their mysteriously quiet presence to the downtown.

Always intrigued by the businesses that don't appear to ever have any business, yet go on. Like the resume place that was next to Greenbush for years. Twice while leaving the bar I peered in through those battered vertical blinds to see the guy asleep on the floor. No blanket or anything, just sprawled out like a crime victim. I hesitated the first time but then he rolled over and appeared fine.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:30 pm

I've seen plenty of customers at the lingerie shop, but they don't look like east siders to me;)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:54 pm

I love the title of this thread.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:21 am

david cohen wrote:I've seen plenty of customers at the lingerie shop, but they don't look like east siders to me;)

My Mamie VanDoren-esque east-sider girlfriend would beg to differ.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:33 am

narcoleptish wrote:Maybe that fancy lingerie shop on E Johnson can expand their mysteriously quiet presence to the downtown.

Always intrigued by the businesses that don't appear to ever have any business, yet go on. Like the resume place that was next to Greenbush for years. Twice while leaving the bar I peered in through those battered vertical blinds to see the guy asleep on the floor. No blanket or anything, just sprawled out like a crime victim. I hesitated the first time but then he rolled over and appeared fine.

That place does amazing business. Who would have known. Appointment only custom swimsuit and underwear fitting -- one of those "I'm in the wrong business" moments.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:51 am

narcoleptish wrote:Maybe that fancy lingerie shop on E Johnson can expand their mysteriously quiet presence to the downtown.

Oh man - this "guy asleep on the floor" story is making my day a little more special.

That being said, I can also concur that the "fancy lingerie" place has tons of lady customers from around town - true story, ladies like their undies and swimsuits to, uh, fit. Also, I'm willing to bet if Dan was the "bikini fit" guy, they might not do quite as well. (Zing!)

My mystery business of choice is Hans' Sewing & Vacuum, though the Apple Store on Willie and their terrible-ness is a close second.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:55 am

rrnate wrote:My mystery business of choice is Hans' Sewing & Vacuum

I'm guessing they do well. How many other sewing machine repair shops are in town? Also, those machines are getting crazy complex(computer shit and all) so the need for expertise in repair is probably needed.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:59 am

Stebben84 wrote:

I'm guessing they do well. How many other sewing machine repair shops are in town? Also, those machines are getting crazy complex(computer shit and all) so the need for expertise in repair is probably needed.

Yeah, for sure. I just never see anyone going in/out (I guess, uh, housewives during the day?) and then can't help but picture the shop being owned by Hans Moleman.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:01 pm

Stebben84 wrote:

Considering ol' Hans is now operating out of neighboring Gayfeather Fabrics -- while his old retail storefront becomes a brew and grow supply shop -- I'm gonna say his input wasn't quite as great as his output.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:02 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:

Considering ol' Hans is now operating out of neighboring Gayfeather Fabrics -- while his old retail storefront becomes a brew and grow supply shop -- I'm gonna say he input wasn't quite as great as his output.

My mom bought a machine from Hans back in the '70s, and he was no spring chicken back then. He can't still be running the shop, unless of course, he's a vampire. That would explain why you never see anyone go in the shop during the day.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:28 pm

Huh, so the lingerie shop is legit? I drive by a lot and I've just never seen anyone around the place, plus I thought it was mentioned in a thread awhile ago as possibly being sketchy. I'm probably thinking of something else. "Intimate apparel" just doesn't pull my trigger, so I'll take your word for it.

Endo Rockstar wrote:one of those "I'm in the wrong business" moments.

I always wonder about people who choose to deal in pool tables or pianos. Do they ever stop and think, halfway up a staircase with a baby grand, "I coulda been a watch salesman!"

Of course, I have a couple hours worth of those moments every year too.

Couple other mystery businesses:

Strata, next to the Ideal tavern.
The window treatment place next to the former Cronometro on Willy.
Any of the small used car lots on the north side of E Wash from the ever-changing one at Blount to the one next to Visions.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:42 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Considering ol' Hans is now operating out of neighboring Gayfeather Fabrics -- while his old retail storefront becomes a brew and grow supply shop -- I'm gonna say his input wasn't quite as great as his output.

When the store was first mentioned I thought the same thing. I figured I was confusing the spaces because I looked it up online and they had a website up and running. That old Hans store was a pretty massive building. I wonder how a brew shop is gonna do there?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe