MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Put Arthur Kohl-Riggs and Colin Bowden on the ballot

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Put Arthur Kohl-Riggs and Colin Bowden on the ballot

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:35 pm

Here's a way of doing what you demonstrated, Stebben, that seems even more straightforward.

Go to the Madison Common Council website.

http://www.cityofmadison.com/council/

Hey look at that there's a GET INVOLVED banner. Let's click that.

http://www.cityofmadison.com/CityHall/l ... /apply.cfm

[scans page] Nope, no information on running for office. Just citizen committees. Let's go back, and see if there was anything else on the main page.

Oh, right below the GET INVOLVED banner -- which, I have to say, seems like the most logical place to put information on running for Common Council -- there's a section titled "HOW DO I..." That too would be a logical place to put information on running for office...

[scans list] Um. Nothing. "How do I register to speak"..."How do I register as a lobbyist"..."How do I get to the City County Building"? That's some basic information I'd expect a prospective candidate to have. Taking these reasonable steps to learn how to run for office leads nowhere productive, so really, whose fault is that?

Interesting commentary on modern politics that, even at the local level, there's a more defined path to becoming a lobbyist than there is running for office as a newcomer to the system.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArthurKR » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:18 am

Hey guys, Arthur Kohl-Riggs here. Here are the directions I was given by staff at the City Clerk's office when I went in to learn what was needed to get on the ballot. I was given no reason to believe that if I followed these instructions it would be insufficient.

Go to the GAB website
http://gab.wi.gov/

Hover over the drop down tab "Elections" Then click on "Candidates - Getting On The Ballot" where you will see this
"Click on the headings below for all forms necessary to become a candidate. Deadlines and the number of signatures required can be found on the Ballot Access Checklists."

then select "Local Candidates" and then "Non-Partisan"
http://gab.wi.gov/elections-voting/cand ... n-partisan
If you scroll down a little bit you will see a section titled
"For Mayor, Alderperson, Town and Village Board Member, Municipal Clerk and Treasurer, and Municipal Judge"

You can then explore the GABIS-7 Ballot Access Checklist for Municipal Candidates where Nomination Papers are Used
http://gab.wi.gov/sites/default/files/g ... _11821.pdf
"Statement of Economic Interests (for Municipal Judges only)"

No where in any of these documents does anything mention that local municipalities may have different requirements to get on the ballot, in fact on the GAB website it indicates that these links are "for ALL forms necessary to become a candidate."

I was directed to and supplied with incomplete and incorrect information by the City Clerk's office produced by the GAB. I had in my possession what appeared to be a complete checklist for local candidates to get on the ballot from the official governing agency that oversees elections. Based on that information I thought I had done the necessary research.

Finally, on the date the SEI and petition signatures were due, when I was in the Clerk's office filing my nomination papers I asked if there was anything else I needed to submit, and I was told I was all set.

As soon as it was brought to my attention I immediately filed the late form, emailed the clerk and waited for their response. Instead, on Monday I get a call from an Isthmus reporter telling me it has been confirmed that I am not on the ballot, asking me how it feels.

I figured I should chime in with my side of the story, thanks for taking an interest.
I am about to get my wisdom teeth out so if I fail to respond quickly or my response doesn't make any sense I am sorry.

Arthur Kohl-Riggs
ArthurKR

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:06 pm

snoqueen wrote:It's not like the city council is the freemasons or something, where you have to ask one to be one.

I think it kind of is, actually.

And sorry, but navigating the bureaucracy might be an appealing selling point for a candidate you hope to vote for, but it shouldn't be what differentiates those qualified to run for office from those who aren't.

And, again, these guys were misled. They asked questions, were given the wrong information and then disqualified. If you need to pay your taxes, the process is very easy to understand. There's even a sign in the lobby indicating what you need to do. Want to run for office and change things? You're on your own.

The city council needs outliers like Kohl-Riggs and minorities like Bowden. I wonder if any of our "leaders" has stepped up to advocate on their behalf or recruit them for other city projects.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:23 pm

jjoyce wrote:Want to run for office and change things? You're on your own.

Did you read my post? It took me about 15-20 minutes to find all the information i needed to run for office.

jjoyce wrote:They asked questions, were given the wrong information and then disqualified.

According the the article it was just Riggs. Is there more to the story? Was it a bigger conspiracy? We're also taking his word for it and not even questioning whether he may have fucked up himself. It's not as though the requirements are top secret. I found them in less time then it takes to drink a beer.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:27 pm

Stebben84 wrote:It took me about 15-20 minutes to find all the information i needed to run for office.

I found them in less time then it takes to drink a beer.

Emphasis mine.

Off-topic (and no offense intended) - are you sure you're from Wisconsin?

If it's taking you more than 20 minutes to drink a beer, you're doing it wrong.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:29 pm

Marvell wrote:If it's taking you more than 20 minutes to drink a beer, you're doing it wrong.

I was referring to a 40oz of Colt 45.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:32 pm

And your point is?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:37 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
jjoyce wrote:Want to run for office and change things? You're on your own.

Did you read my post? It took me about 15-20 minutes to find all the information i needed to run for office.

Why would someone google something that you'd think would be located on the city website? Sure, that Election section is in there, but where is it linked from the front page of cityofmadison.com?

Hint: nowhere. Even if it can be found by searching "election," clicking a link, clicking another link, and clicking another link, it should still be easier. Citizens shouldn't have to hunt for the tools to run for office if they want to.

"But Mr Dent, the plans have been available in the local planning office for the last nine months."

"Oh yes, well as soon as I heard I went straight round to see them, yesterday afternoon. You hadn't exactly gone out of your way to call attention to them, had you? I mean, like actually telling anybody or anything."

"But the plans were on display ..."

"On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them."

"That's the display department."

"With a flashlight."

"Ah, well the lights had probably gone."

"So had the stairs."

"But look, you found the notice didn't you?"

"Yes," said Arthur, "yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'."
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:58 pm

If the ruling stands, there will only be three candidates running in the district now represented by Bridget Maniaci.

How did those three candidates manage to negotiate their ways through the process on time?

"There was a form that said 'statement of financial interest,' and it said only for municipal judges. So I assumed that it wasn't relevant," says Kohl-Riggs.

Where exactly does it say "for municipal judges only"?

STATEMENT OF INTERESTS FORM
All elected and appointed officials and employees of the City of Madison are expected to carry out their duties in the best interests of the City. The following Statement of Interests is intended to provide information that will identify potential conflicts of interest with those duties. Serving as officers or directors on the board(s) of organizations, as well as certain financial information, may indicate the possibility of a conflict of interest. Notwithstanding this disclosure, all persons holding positions with the City of Madison have the continuing responsibility to avoid conflicts of interest as they carry out their responsibilities. See Madison General Ordinance 3.35(5) "Standards of Conduct" for additional information on disclosure and disqualification.
https://www.cityofmadison.com/mayor/com ... /index.cfm
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:24 pm

Ah, good, Meade is sticking his head in here - finally ladies and gentlemen, we'll get some clarity.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:06 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Hint: nowhere. Even if it can be found by searching "election," clicking a link, clicking another link, and clicking another link, it should still be easier. Citizens shouldn't have to hunt for the tools to run for office if they want to.

I will concede that it could be easier(a link off the main page is about as easier as it can get). My main point is that I believe Kohl-Riggs is being a bit of a whiner. He may very well be a great person to have as alder, but to have an article written about you claiming your fuck up was someone else's fault because YOU couldn't do the research is lame. Oh wait, he was misled by some vast Madison council insider conspiracy.

For what it's worth. This is what came up in the second link "click"

CANDIDATE INFORMATION:
Information Packet for Candidates (PDF)
Campaign Registration Statement: GAB-1 (PDF)
Declaration of Candidacy: GAB-162 (PDF)
Statement of Economic Interests
Nomination Papers (non-partisan): GAB-169 (PDF)
Notification of Noncandidacy: GAB 163 (PDF)
Maps of Wards and Districts

CAMPAIGN FINANCE INFORMATION:
Campaign Finance and Deadlines: GAB
Campaign Finance Information & Reporting Dates
Campaign Finance Forms: GAB
GAB-2a: short form (PDF)
GAB-2L: long form (PDF)
Campaign Finance Publications: GAB
Campaign Finance Overview: GAB (PDF)
Contribution Limits for Local Office (PDF)
Filing Deadlines (PDF)

Sample ballots can be found at: https://myvote.wi.gov/

That is pretty much EVERYTHING you need to know to run for office.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:19 pm

Could be easier?

No, it should be easier. And not misleading.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:31 pm

jjoyce wrote:No, it should be easier. And not misleading.

Besides putting a link on the front page, which would be one less click than I had to go through, what else could make it easier?

Was there anything misleading about the website I listed? Also, was the clerk he spoke to misleading or just mistaken? There is a difference. Did the folks who wrote this story ever question whether Kohl-Riggs actually fucked up and WASN'T mislead. I don't remember any quotes from the actual people who gave him the misinformation. It all seems to be Aurthur's word and that's good enough. Did the Isthmus question any current or former alders or candidates to ask if the process was confusing, misleading, or complicated.

In my opinion this story is on par with something Rickert would write.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:43 pm

Stebben84 wrote:In my opinion this story is on par with something Rickert would write.

Less candidates, not more. Status quo. What we have works just fine. I got there in two clicks by some method, but two guys who actually want to run could not so they don't deserve to run anyways.

How's that? Pretty much what you're trying to say?

My position remains the same: Accept these two candidates' forms and put them on the primary ballot immediately. And fix the website so people who want to run for office can retrieve the necessary information efficiently.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:47 pm

Stebben84 wrote:So here is what I did. First I searched for city of madison through the google and came up with this:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les ... 66&bih=600

Then I clicked on the first link and it brought me here:

http://www.cityofmadison.com/

In the search box I typed "election information" and it brought me here:

http://www.cityofmadison.com/election/e ... didate.cfm

I just did a search for "madison wi running for office". The Candidate Information page above is the first hit. This is the second hit.

Could/should the city do a better job of linking to the candidate information on its site? Probably. But to claim the information is hard to find is pretty laughable.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government