MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Why Won't Charter Leave Me Alone!?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Why Won't Charter Leave Me Alone!?

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:45 pm

Just off the phone with Charter for the seventh time in as many months, begging them, pleading with them, appealing with all my soul to them to stop sending me fucking junk mail!

Why is this such a difficult task for them? And why do they want to keep wasting money and paper and time on me? I've assured them with every phone call and in no uncertain terms that not only am I not interested in their services, but there's no way I would ever do business with them given their obviously piss-poor ability to accomplish even the simplest task.

And to make this whole debacle (that's right, debacle) even more idiotic, the name on the address label is for a person who has never lived here. It's not me, it's not my ex-wife, and it's not any of the people who lived in the house for 50 years before I bought it. I've told them this repeatedly, as well, but the mail just keeps on coming, usually 3-4 pieces a week!

I've been successfully removed from more mailing lists than I care to count (and I heartily endorse https://www.catalogchoice.org/ who have helped immeasurably in this regard) and most places seem more than happy to do this (seemingly) simple thing. Yet Charter persists. And persists. And perfuckingsists!

PLEASE JUST STOP!

[/rant]
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Why Won't Charter Leave Me Alone!?

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:04 pm

I think it's quite clear that the only solution to this problem is to completely privatize the U.S. Postal Service. A private postal services vendor in a dynamic, competitive market would likely develop mail filtering technology to eliminate this minor inconvenience for you in exchange for a small fee. You could also authorize your preferred postal service vendor to collect and filter unauthorized mail items placed in your box by unapproved vendors. All this could alternatively be administered at the municipal level by city-wide contract.

Actually, if you live near enough to me, my offer is as follows. For just $20/day, I will go through your mail and remove any Charter mailings before you see them. For an additional $1/day, I will completely remove the mailings from the premises, instead of placing them in your recycling bin.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:09 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:I think it's quite clear that the only solution to this problem is to completely privatize the U.S. Postal Service.
I sincerely hope you're joking. Otherwise, you're just making me angrier.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:15 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
ArturoBandini wrote:I think it's quite clear that the only solution to this problem is to completely privatize the U.S. Postal Service.
I sincerely hope you're joking. Otherwise, you're just making me angrier.

Uh-huh. I was looking for a clip of the PJs episode where Smokey the crackhead repeatedly suggests crack as the solution for every problem, but you'll just have to hallucinate it on your own.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:21 pm

It's about half joke. Clearly, privatizing the postal service is a nuclear bomb where your Charter problem warrants a flyswatter.

But we should still privatize the postal service for other reasons.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:23 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:A private postal services vendor in a dynamic, competitive market would likely develop mail filtering technology to eliminate this minor inconvenience for you in exchange for a small fee.

And these businesses would never get or be corrupted ending up with your name being sold to countless more agencies.

Now, if that happened, the magic free market fairy would come down and fix everything.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:32 pm

Stebben84 wrote:And these businesses would never get or be corrupted ending up with your name being sold to countless more agencies.
Huh? How is this any different than any current business that already has your address? Your hypothetical situation is not specific to private mail delivery.

Wags, I think the best thing for you to do is just let this one go. Put the envelopes in the trash and chalk up the minor inconvenience as a condition of living in modern civilization. I'm not saying you are not being wronged, but I am saying that the effort needed to right the situation likely isn't worth the trouble relative to the magnitude of wrongness.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:34 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:But we should still privatize the postal service for other reasons.
No, we shouldn't.

Look, I box-and-ship for a living. I have dealt with virtually every private service under the sun. There is one, and only one, shipping service that is uniformly reliable. It is called The United States Postal Service. Near as I can tell, it is the best postal service in the entire world.

I cannot fathom what your complaints about the USPS are (beyond your usual theoretical claptrap with no basis in reality), but I can assure you, privatization has already proven itself not to be the solution.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:48 pm

I get absolutely stellar service from USPS. In my book, it's a bargain.

Charter, not so much.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:54 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Look, I box-and-ship for a living. I have dealt with virtually every private service under the sun. There is one, and only one, shipping service that is uniformly reliable. It is called The United States Postal Service.
Parcel service is a competitive market, but letter service (where your Charter junk-mail complaint falls) is not. The USPS has a monopoly on letter delivery with a few minor exceptions for super-urgent items. And anyway, other people/companies may find other services more reliable or economical than USPS for their needs.
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Near as I can tell, it is the best postal service in the entire world.
Maybe so.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:28 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:The USPS has a monopoly on letter delivery with a few minor exceptions for super-urgent items.
I have no problem with this whatsoever. (And you can always stick your letter in a box and ship it UPS, if you don't mind paying more and getting crappier service.)

ArturoBandini wrote: And anyway, other people/companies may find other services more reliable or economical than USPS for their needs.
Of course, which is why I never suggested private competitors should be outlawed or anything -- I just don't use them (and 99.99% of my customers thank me for that.) You, on the other hand, called for the dissolution of the USPS because blah blah blah free market and whatever.

I really couldn't disagree with you more strongly, both on principle (I believe the government should help subsidize quality postal service for everyone --just as the fellas who wrote The Constituion did) and also because what you're suggesting would almost assuredly put me out of business.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:08 pm

Since the mention of the USPS was my doing, and only relates loosely to the OP, I've moved that conversation to this thread. Feel free to join, or not.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:03 pm

Not to bring the thread back to the original topic or anything, but I also get a mailing roughly every ten days from Charter--and I already use them for my internet. So if they don't care when they waste money trying to sell to someone they've already sold to, they certainly aren't going to care about other folks.

It would be pretty sweet to get them to pay me to switch to them from themselves, though. Somehow I don't think they're THAT dumb.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:43 pm

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:51 pm

Postal service? Where's my damn box of diodes?
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All