MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 84.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Put Arthur Kohl-Riggs and Colin Bowden on the ballot

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Put Arthur Kohl-Riggs and Colin Bowden on the ballot

Postby rrnate » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:48 pm

jjoyce wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:In my opinion this story is on par with something Rickert would write.

Less candidates, not more. Status quo. What we have works just fine. I got there in two clicks by some method, but two guys who actually want to run could not so they don't deserve to run anyways.

How's that? Pretty much what you're trying to say?

Also, Stebben is drinking Colt 45. Let's never forget that.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:49 pm

jjoyce wrote:Less candidates, not more. Status quo. What we have works just fine.

And who exactly is saying or thinking that, Jason? Do you honestly believe there's some sort of conspiracy to keep people off of the ballot?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:18 pm

lukpac wrote:
jjoyce wrote:Less candidates, not more. Status quo. What we have works just fine.

And who exactly is saying or thinking that, Jason? Do you honestly believe there's some sort of conspiracy to keep people off of the ballot?

Joyce is saying Stebben is saying that.

He's IMPLYING there is a sort of conspiracy, and I don't think there is exactly one, but it's hard to deny that there is a bit of a back-slappers club that goes on with the alder seats.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:26 pm

rrnate wrote:Joyce is saying Stebben is saying that.

I'm saying what? Who? And what happened to my Colt 45?

Ugh, if it were only easier to figure out these darn forum threads. It's like some good 'ol boys club in here.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:36 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
rrnate wrote:Joyce is saying Stebben is saying that.

I'm saying what? Who? And what happened to my Colt 45?

Ugh, if it were only easier to figure out these darn forum threads. It's like some good 'ol boys club in here.

Look, the easiest possible response is "duh, anyone can use Google and figure out these easy, easy forms". It was my first initial thought too.

Jason raises a good point though, which is that both of these candidates are a bit more "outsidery" and the deck is stacked against them - this is just the first of many examples. Making entering the election a bit easier seems pretty dang reasonable to me.

You're saying that a baseline skill of an Alder should be having the skills to seek out the proper forms. That's reasonable, but their whining highlights a salient point - there are a lot of hoops to jump through without excellent, clear instructions.

Also, who the F wants an Alder who can't raise a stink if they're not happy with a process? The noise this guy has made about his dissatisfaction is kind of qualification enough in my book.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:47 pm

rrnate wrote:The noise this guy has made about his dissatisfaction is kind of qualification enough in my book.

Dude, but the beard, I mean, shit...
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:22 pm

rrnate wrote:Jason raises a good point though, which is that both of these candidates are a bit more "outsidery" and the deck is stacked against them

First off, the minute I saw his name I recognized who he was. There is also this, from his website:

Thank you to all 19,920 of you who voted for Arthur!

http://www.iartwi.com/

Sure, he may be unconventional, but far from an outsider. Also, we keep speaking of this other candidate, yet there were no quotes from him in the article. Did he run into the same situation as well? While we're on the subject of "outsidery" do you know Dennis Denure?

viewtopic.php?t=46021

I have met him and he is waaaay more outsidery than Arthur, yet he made his way onto the ballot.

Also, take a look at the list of candidates:

https://www.cityofmadison.com/election/ ... ng2013.cfm

Tell me there are not "outsiders" in there. I would really like the Isthmus to follow up on this story, interview the new challengers, and ask if the process to get on the ballet was too difficult.

rrnate wrote:You're saying that a baseline skill of an Alder should be having the skills to seek out the proper forms.

If that's the impression I made, I apologize. That's not what I meant. I believe Arthur made a mistake and is looking for a scapegoat. The Isthmus picked up on it and published a story without anything to back up his story. They even printed this(from the article)

(The city clerk currently lists "statement of economic interests" on its online guide for candidate filings, but Isthmus does not know what specifically Kohl-Riggs was looking at or whether the website has been since changed.)

rrnate wrote:there are a lot of hoops to jump through without excellent, clear instructions.

There may be hoops, but can it get any more clear than this?

https://www.cityofmadison.com/election/ ... mation.pdf

I do believe a few hoops are necessary. That economic interest form is about conflict of interest. I would really like to think and hope that people have the best interest of the city in mind.

I have no problem with Arthur filing a complaint and hopefully he wins and gets on the ballot. Until that point, I've yet to see any proof that there was some sort of conspiracy by the "establishment" as Jason suggested. I think the biggest reason we don't get more and better candidates is that the job sucks. It's considered part time, but how the hell can anyone hold down a full time job and be an alder. That is no easy task and takes commitment. Christ, I was on the board at WYOU for a couple years and that sucked the life out of me. I went to city committee meetings and council meetings, and they were awful. I couldn't imagine being an alder. There are a lot of intelligent and thoughtful people who would make great alders but just can't swing it.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:50 pm

We need to keep the filing procedure just complicated enough to prevent Meade from running for office. It's working so far.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:58 pm

snoqueen wrote:We need to keep the filing procedure just complicated enough to prevent Meade from running for office. It's working so far.

Meade isn't interested in being part of the solution, so I think no matter how simple you make the process, you won't have to worry about him running.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:12 pm

There are few things I can think of that I'd enjoy more than a Meade for Alder campaign.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:22 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
rrnate wrote:You're saying that a baseline skill of an Alder should be having the skills to seek out the proper forms.

If that's the impression I made, I apologize. That's not what I meant. I believe Arthur made a mistake and is looking for a scapegoat. The Isthmus picked up on it and published a story without anything to back up his story. They even printed this(from the article)

Ah - yeah, it did feel to me like you were getting at that. Definitely agree that A) Isthmus following up a bit more would be interesting (though it's going to be primarily he-said he-said) and B) the Alder job is pretty crazy (in that it's a full-time job with very little pay-off, at least directly and officially).

However, I feel you haven't fully explained your position on Colt 45, though some of the comments you have made have disturbing insinuations, and therefore, there shall be NO ACCORD between you and I.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:32 pm

rrnate wrote:However, I feel you haven't fully explained your position on Colt 45, though some of the comments you have made have disturbing insinuations, and therefore, there shall be NO ACCORD between you and I.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:33 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I would really like the Isthmus to follow up on this story, interview the new challengers, and ask if the process to get on the ballet was too difficult.

This really is the civil rights issue of our time.

And if it will help with the struggle, I think I may still have video footage - I can lend to the campaign - of Arthur and Segway Jeremy Ryan dancing a pas de deux during the 2011 Capitol Occupation. Frankly, with their complimenting styles in facial hair, the two of them actually looked quite stunning in Jeremy's leotard and Arthur's pink pointe shoes.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:55 pm

Thanks for pointing out my typo douchebag.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:01 pm

Meade wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:I would really like the Isthmus to follow up on this story, interview the new challengers, and ask if the process to get on the ballet was too difficult.
Meade wrote:.... Frankly, with their complimenting styles in facial hair....

Know comment.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government