MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Flu going around

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Flu going around

Postby acereraser » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:15 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:People die from flu.

Tens of thousands every year in the U.S. alone.

Here's what I found from the CDC:

Flu seasons are unpredictable and can be severe. Over a period of 30 years, between 1976 and 2006, estimates of flu-associated deaths in the United States range from a low of about 3,000 to a high of about 49,000 people.

I am a little disappointed in the softness of the numbers provided by the CDC.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:55 pm

Dairylander wrote:
The sheet is dated Dec. 22, 1999.

That same year, the Public Health Service agencies and American Academy of Pediatrics called for the reduction of thimerosal in all children's vaccines as a "precautionary measure." By 2001 it was eliminated from most vaccines, except for the flu shot.

-Milwaukee Journal Sentinal

The Sentinel article is dated Nov 13, 2007.

Keeping up-to-date on your research, are you?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:59 pm

Got my annual flu shot about two hours ago. Still no signs of neuro-intoxication. Btw, thimerosal-free vaccine is available.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:05 pm

One reason I don't get the flu shot (though not the deciding one) is my friend's mother, who got it a number of years ago and ended up with Guillain-Barre syndrome. She was on a respirator for weeks and never walked properly for the rest of her life.

Now, they can tell you that's rare, and they can tell you this year's shot won't cause G-B, but they don't know for sure because this year's shot hasn't been administered and evaluated yet. I'd rather have the flu than spend the rest of my life not able to walk because of something easily avoidable.

Like the woman in the article cited on the previous page of this topic, I think it's interesting what they don't tell you. At the same time, I agree each person has to decide for himself and I'm not about to try to convince anyone to change his or her mind. It's kind of like religion in that regard.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:30 pm

snoqueen wrote:my friend's mother, who got it a number of years ago and ended up with Guillain-Barre syndrome.

Really? Was it definitely determined that your friend's mother got the infection from the flu shot? Because, the odds of that is something like one in a million. The odds of dying from influenza this year? 1 in 345,100.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:19 pm

The year Swine flu went around some people were afraid of getting Guillain-Barre syndrome from the vaccination. As an asthmatic I took a calculated risk and still do.

My husband would get so ill with the flu he was like a big baby. A lot of suffering and bills convinced him to take the shot.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:49 pm

One reason to get the flu shot is to protect the other people around you. I used to work in the hospital and I walked through a cancer ward almost every day. A minor bout with the flu might not set me back, but for those cancer patients the flu is a serious illness and I should not be exposing them to it if I can prevent it with a simple shot. There are good reasons for requiring employees to get the flu shot in these situations.

I started getting the flu shot many years ago because I would get the flu every year when I didn't get the shot. Now I sometimes still get the flu but it is much milder and doesn't last very long. There's a latex-free version of the shot available but it doesn't seem to bother my fairly mild latex sensitivity so I don't usually bother to ask for it. My husband has gone without the shot every few years and he invariably gets terribly ill and I have to take care of him without saying "I told you so".
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby pjbogart » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:04 am

Bah. Screw the flu. I've been trying to kill myself with cigarettes and alcohol for 20 years now and haven't even been able to make myself sick enough to miss a day of work in ten years. My doctor told me that my liver function test came up abnormal but not alarmingly so and I said, "that fucker is still around?" The nurse takes my pulse and blood pressure and tells me I should lose some weight but my vitals are within range and I'm thinking, "what the fuck? I smoked a whole pack of cigarettes, four cups of coffee, had two doublestacks and a fries for lunch and my vitals are within range?"

What's a guy gotta do to check-out around here?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:09 am

pjbogart wrote:What's a guy gotta do to check-out around here?

Quit drinking so much coffee, you fool. It's the coffee that's keeping you alive.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:33 pm

So anyway, back to the flu. Plenty of alarming news stories coming out about Boston, etc., and they have me on the fence. Trying to decide whether to get the shot (my first ever, if I do), or to just stock up on sick foods and supplies in case it hits me. My gut instinct is to not trust the shot, but to trust reinforcing my natural defenses. I don't smoke, am not overweight, don't drink a lot, eat mostly an organic veg diet, and do yoga regularly. I'm also nearing the half century mark in age so I'm wondering when that becomes the biggest concern in making this decision for people. Snoqueen, so far you've convinced me the most to stick with my no-shot policy. But how widespread is the flu in our area now? How bad is it, when people have gotten it? A local newscaster said on air that he got the shot, then got the flu anyway. I've only been really, really, really sick once in my life, and that was the most stressed time in my life, not coincidentally, I feel. I'd really like to know how many of us have been directly affected by the flu this season so far and whether you got the shot or not, and if not, if you wish you had because it was an exceptionally bad illness for you. I actually did get sick a month or so ago, it was pretty bad for about five days (raw throat, aching ears, bad headache, total fatigue, but no high fever, just a slight one) but recovery was rapid after that. So maybe I already had it and the whole topic is moot...
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:24 pm

Violet_Skye wrote:I actually did get sick a month or so ago, it was pretty bad for about five days (raw throat, aching ears, bad headache, total fatigue, but no high fever, just a slight one) but recovery was rapid after that.

Same here. It wasn't the flu. That was a bad cold.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:46 pm

Violet, in creating your decision tree, let me offer this suggestion:

Do you care about other people around you and wish to minimize the possibilities of infecting them and spreading misery?

If yes, get the vaccination.

Or, are you extraordinarily self-centered, don't really give a flip about becoming a vector of the virus and infecting other people, and wish to save about $25 so you can purchase more organic arugula or defray the cost of your next yoga session?

If yes, do what snoqueen does and skip the shot.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:55 pm

Meade wrote:Do you care about other people around you and wish to minimize the possibilities of infecting them and spreading misery?

If you cared about that you would stop posting here. :D
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:09 pm

:D
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ttusker » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:02 pm

For the first time in at least 10 years, I didn't get the flu shot this season. I was going to, but just didn't get around to it. Last Friday I got Type A Influenza (confirmed). It hit me like a freight train: I was feeling fine in the afternoon, and four hours later felt absolutely horrible, with nasty racking cough, chills/sweats and complete body ache. I hasten to add that I know who I got it from, and this individual HAD gotten a flu shot back in October. Tonight I'm feeling somewhat better. While not the sickest I've ever felt from a cold or flu (that honor would go to a charming bug I picked up at UW Hospital a few years back), I was pretty miserable for the last week or so. Yes, I wish I had gotten the shot. Whether it would have helped I don't know, but I don't see how it could have hurt. From now on, I'll be getting a flu shot every season.
Ttusker

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe