MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Restaurant Week!

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Restaurant Week!

Postby chaostbl » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:45 pm

The list of participants for Restaurant Week is up! :D http://www.madisonmagazine.com/Madison-Magazine/Events/Restaurant-Week/Menus/

Do any of the courses stand out? Where can you get the most bang for your buck?
chaostbl

Re: Restaurant Week!

Postby kimm » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:52 pm

Yum. On my dinner short list, Merchant, Porta Bella, and Osteria Papavero look like some good bang for the buck with a good selection. Curious what Nostrano comes out with.

Liliana's has a fun approach.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby chaostbl » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:03 pm

I'm a bit wary that some of the restaurants are ignoring the $25 flat fee and asking $30 or $35. That's a slippery slope and I predict other restaurants are going to start following suit :( . Dinner in New York City during Restaurant Week is $35—and I dare say Madison restaurants aren't quite on par with New York City's. Sigh.
chaostbl

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:08 pm

chaostbl wrote:and I dare say Madison restaurants aren't quite on par with New York City's.

That's a dumb comment. So every single restaurant you've ever eaten at in NY is better than ANY restaurant you've ever eaten here.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:13 pm

chaostbl wrote:I'm a bit wary that some of the restaurants are ignoring the $25 flat fee and asking $30 or $35.

This bothers me, too, but the restaurants aren't ignoring it. The event is changing to allow it.

Starting at $25, participating restaurants offer a prix-fixed menu with 3 courses and 3 options of each course.

Some restaurants offer a reduced menu for $15 for lunch.

This year, some restaurants are also offering $30 and $35 dinner options.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:26 pm

My one-and-only complaint about the restaurant week pricing is that all the meals include dessert.
I don't want dessert.
I'd rather have a second choice off the appetizer menu.
Or really, any other choice at all.

When I spend real money for a nice restaurant meal, I want to fill up on good food, not save room for dessert. Obviously, that's just a personal preference -- for some, dessert is the best part of the meal -- but it's ultimately what led my girlfriend and me to decide to skip restaurant week this go-round.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:33 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:My one-and-only complaint about the restaurant week pricing is that all the meals include dessert.
I don't want dessert.

Don't worry about it. The dessert will never be as good as it is in New York.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:41 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:My one-and-only complaint about the restaurant week pricing is that all the meals include dessert.
I don't want dessert.

Don't worry about it. The dessert will never be as good as it is in New York.

I will reserve judgement on that until I read three paragraphs by Raphael Kadushin on whether the dessert is authentic or not.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chaostbl » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:18 pm

That's a dumb comment. So every single restaurant you've ever eaten at in NY is better than ANY restaurant you've ever eaten here.

I was speaking generally. I've never even been to New York, just guessing that their prime restaurants during Restaurant Week are better than ours—but that's all subjective anyways. My point is I don't think Madison restaurants should have the same RW price point as that of a much larger city.
chaostbl

Postby chaostbl » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:07 pm

Has anyone had any great meals this week that they would recommend?
chaostbl

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:28 pm

Inka Heritage. Ms Vilas and I went for dinner on Monday. For apps I had the ceviche bandera and she the papa Inkas a la huancaina. Both were excellent ( I tried a little of the potatoes and she had some of the ceviche).

We both had the pescado Inka for entrees and pasion de torta Helada for dessert. A great meal, as usual. We try to go to Inka Heritage every restaurant week.

We thought about the Brocach on Monroe Street for lunch later in the week, but I got a call from WOLX. Seems I won two free Restaurant Week dinners at Biaggi's. We're going tomorrow evening.
Last edited by Henry Vilas on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:56 pm

Porta Bella was a good value. I particularly like the stuffed mushrooms app, but everyone in our group of six were happy with everything they ordered. The service was good too.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:02 pm

chaostbl wrote:I'm a bit wary that some of the restaurants are ignoring the $25 flat fee and asking $30 or $35. That's a slippery slope and I predict other restaurants are going to start following suit :( .

Maybe that will allow them to to serve a normal sized portion.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby juice » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:03 pm

Are there any restaurants continuing RW tonight, or tomorrow for that matter? I thought I saw one on the website that stated 20th-26th, was thinking that was Liliana's, was not. Anybody?
juice

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:37 am

I just got an email from Liliana's that says their Restaurant Week offerings for lunch and dinner will extend through Tuesday.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews