MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, July 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Psychic Gallery closed, who could have seen this coming?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Psychic Gallery closed, who could have seen this coming?

Postby CoffeeJones » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:24 pm

Brew and Grow relocated from the far east side. Their old space was warehouse huge. They are a franchise operation, from what I understand. I've purchased a few brewing supplies from them. Nice people.
CoffeeJones

Postby swoon_queen » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:27 pm

this thread rules. I always wonder about the building next to Monty's Blue Plate. What goes on in there? I've peered in, it just looks like stacks of paper and boxes.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:35 pm

Marvell wrote:
david cohen wrote:I've seen plenty of customers at the lingerie shop, but they don't look like east siders to me;)

My Mamie VanDoren-esque east-sider girlfriend would beg to differ.
Do you suppose you could tone down that Cheshire grin a little? Criminy, I have to dim my display.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:04 pm

swoon_queen wrote:this thread rules. I always wonder about the building next to Monty's Blue Plate. What goes on in there? I've peered in, it just looks like stacks of paper and boxes.

I'm pretty sure they used to be a print shop, but it's been a long time. When the Blue Plate just opened (how long ago was that?) the print shop people were crazy militant about not letting any BPlate customers park on their side of the driveway. However they preferred not to print any signs to actually let people know, so everyone parked there thinking it was part of the BP lot. That included me. One the print shop guy came out and pulled his own car behind my parked one so I could not leave. He then proceeded to pitch a great big fit at me, yelling and stamping around for a long time until I pointed out there wasn't any sign so why didn't he just call the cops and get this over with? Then he gave up and let me go.

I was glad to see the business close -- the guy didn't deserve to succeed with an attitude like that.

I would like to know if anyone ever eats in the Chinese restaurant on the other side of the parking lot adjacent to the Chocolaterian. It's always empty, and that area has so many good places to eat you're hardly going to pick the emptiest, darkest, and iffiest-looking one.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:11 pm

Looks like it's owned by Shoep's. And zoned for industrial use.
assessor record.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:44 pm

I went into the Psychic Gallery once when it was actually open. The person asked how they could help me. I responded that they should know why I was there.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:44 am

Marvell wrote:
david cohen wrote:I've seen plenty of customers at the lingerie shop, but they don't look like east siders to me;)

Gee, I wonder what you mean by that. Your girlfriend once co-starred in a film with Francis the Talking Mule? Or she was married five times? She once had a drink thrown on her by George Harrison?
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:28 am

kurt_w wrote: She once had a drink thrown on her by George Harrison?

I bet there are damn few forons who could brag on that. So yeah, go for it Marvell!
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:49 am

snoqueen wrote:I would like to know if anyone ever eats in the Chinese restaurant on the other side of the parking lot adjacent to the Chocolaterian. It's always empty, and that area has so many good places to eat you're hardly going to pick the emptiest, darkest, and iffiest-looking one.

Wongs. There are a few Chinese joints that don't appear to have any eat-in business but that place seems more like a life-size diorama of a closed restaurant. Your extra-stale fortune cookie would probably tell you to dust off your butt when you leave.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:15 am

kurt_w wrote:
Marvell wrote:

Gee, I wonder what you mean by that. Your girlfriend once co-starred in a film with Francis the Talking Mule? Or she was married five times? She once had a drink thrown on her by George Harrison?

I take it from the above post that you have never actually seen a Mamie VanDoren movie.

If you had, you wouldn't have to ask what I meant. Some things explain themselves.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:32 am

Ooh, now I get it. You mean that your girlfriend worships a giant pterodactyl?

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:41 am

That's exactly what I mean.

She also looks great in a fur bikini. And now we've officially come full circle to the lingerie shop.

Which may or may not sell fur bikinis. I will neither confirm nor deny.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:02 pm

Marvell wrote:That's exactly what I mean.

She also looks great in a fur bikini. And now we've officially come full circle to the lingerie shop.

Which may or may not sell fur bikinis. I will neither confirm nor deny.

FYI, the song 'Mamie Van Doren' was played on WORT last Tuesday night:

http://spinitron.com/radio/playlist.php ... ylist=3846

you can listen to an archive for another week or so.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:48 pm

So the sign in the window today says "Coming Soon: TOBACCO MART", and mentions hookahs and groceries will be among the offerings. So, this is the fourth hookah shop on State Street, if you count The Pipefitter? I wouldn't doubt I am missing at least one other way down towards campus, and possibly more on the cross streets.

I am not frowning on the lifestyle of their proposed clientele, but rather it seems like a dicey business plan, and none too creative.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:08 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
snoqueen wrote:I would like to know if anyone ever eats in the Chinese restaurant on the other side of the parking lot adjacent to the Chocolaterian. It's always empty, and that area has so many good places to eat you're hardly going to pick the emptiest, darkest, and iffiest-looking one.

Wongs. There are a few Chinese joints that don't appear to have any eat-in business but that place seems more like a life-size diorama of a closed restaurant. Your extra-stale fortune cookie would probably tell you to dust off your butt when you leave.

I thought so too until I noticed that they have a pretty good early dinner crowd on Saturdays. I finally got there myself and discovered the only Chinese restaurant food in the city -- possibly the whole state -- that's not overdosed on soy sauce. I could actually taste the chicken (which must have been steamed -- it was plump and juicy) and the veggies. Tried the won ton soup on a later visit -- excellent!

The only drawback so far (apart from getting used to the place being empty when I like to eat out, late-ish on weekday nights) is that it's basically Cantonese home cooking -- the one time I ordered Singapore mei fun I was quizzed (with some polite disbelief) about my liking for spicy food. The couple who run the place don't really "get" spicy, I suspect, but that's o.k. -- what they do they do really, really well. You'll find they also have a following if you go at Midwestern dinner time, though as a New York-timed diner sometimes I just dodge in late and take out.
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe