MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Flu going around

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Flu going around

Postby gargantua » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:48 pm

I got the shot shortly after Labor Day. I got the flu shortly after Christmas. It hit so hard and so fast there was no mistaking it. I felt much better after just 24 hours. I believe the flu shot shortened the duration and moderated the symptoms. I'm going to keep getting it. Those of you who don't believe in it? Fine. More for me.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TeachInPeace » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:29 am

It's all over the news and radio in Milwaukee that hospitals are swamped with flu sufferers - granted we have a higher density, higher poverty population that is more likely to not have a PCP, not have insurance, and go to work despite being better off in bed. I was in two classrooms yesterday, both of which had less than 50% of kids present due to illness (middle school and third grade), but among my closest circle, only 2 people are sick.

I am in most risk categories (asthmatic, work with children, prone to respiratory infection) but I won't get the shot. I've actually never gotten it, but I think I've only had the flu once as an adult - high fever, extreme fatigue, sore ear/throat, the antibiotics prescribed had zero effect, 2-4week full recovery. But that was 2 years ago, in June. So whatever.
TeachInPeace

Postby kurt_w » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:39 am

TeachInPeace wrote:I am in most risk categories (asthmatic, work with children, prone to respiratory infection) but I won't get the shot.

Why not?

It won't hurt (aside from a momentary puncture!) and it may well help, especially given your risk factors.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TeachInPeace » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:57 am

If it ain't broke? I share a lot of the reservations listed by others here - hard to say if the shot matches the strain; hard to know exactly what is in the shot (I also have some food and medical allergies); hard to predict side effects, and the flu seems to pass me by anyway. I have lysol for my desk at work, vitamins for maitenance, and a steady diet of fruit, brown rice, and spicy vegetables. I'll survive.
TeachInPeace

Postby kurt_w » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:59 am

TeachInPeace wrote:If it ain't broke? I share a lot of the reservations listed by others here - hard to say if the shot matches the strain; hard to know exactly what is in the shot (I also have some food and medical allergies); hard to predict side effects, and the flu seems to pass me by anyway. I have lysol for my desk at work, vitamins for maitenance, and a steady diet of fruit, brown rice, and spicy vegetables. I'll survive.

Well, think of it as a precaution -- if the shot does match the strain, it'll be a big help, and if it doesn't you're no worse off.

As for side effects/allergies: if you are severely allergic to eggs, then definitely don't get the shot without consulting a doctor first. Other than that, side effects are generally very, very minor (slight ache) or very, very rare.

A healthy diet is good, but not really protection from the flu.

Particularly if you have asthma and are prone to respiratory infections, you're considered to be high risk and the flu vaccine is strongly recommended. It's great that you've mostly managed to avoid the flu in previous years, but this year is significantly worse than most.

Flu vaccine FAQ here: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/flushot.htm
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:17 am

Jenny McCarthy told me it would give me autism.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:40 am

TeachInPeace wrote:If it ain't broke? I share a lot of the reservations listed by others here - hard to say if the shot matches the strain; hard to know exactly what is in the shot (I also have some food and medical allergies); hard to predict side effects, and the flu seems to pass me by anyway. I have lysol for my desk at work, vitamins for maitenance, and a steady diet of fruit, brown rice, and spicy vegetables. I'll survive.

In other words, you're benefiting from herd immunity--the fact that other people are getting immunized reduces your exposure to the virus. You realize, don't you, that the resurgence of other diseases (like whooping cough, which has become a big problem with school-age children in Wisconsin) is partly due to the increase in the number of people refusing to get vaccinated, don't you? Herd immunity only protects free riders when there aren't too many of them, no matter how much brown rice you eat.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:47 am

There's a kind of nifty discussion of flu vaccine and herd immunity here. Sounds like a very clever study -- using isolated anabaptist communities in rural Canada to study flu transmission and the effects of general vaccination on non-vaccinated persons.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:32 am

Detritus wrote:

In other words, you're benefiting from herd immunity--the fact that other people are getting immunized reduces your exposure to the virus. You realize, don't you, that the resurgence of other diseases (like whooping cough, which has become a big problem with school-age children in Wisconsin) is partly due to the increase in the number of people refusing to get vaccinated, don't you? Herd immunity only protects free riders when there aren't too many of them, no matter how much brown rice you eat.

Seems like TeachinPeace said just the opposite, working with (presumably) unvaccinated school groups with a current 50% vacancy rate due to illness does not equate to benefiting from herd immunity.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:39 am

kurt_w wrote:There's a kind of nifty discussion of flu vaccine and herd immunity here. Sounds like a very clever study -- using isolated anabaptist communities in rural Canada to study flu transmission and the effects of general vaccination on non-vaccinated persons.

This is something that makes sense to me. Vaccinating all kids would stop the flu in its tracks for the whole of society, as they are the primary vectors.
" Prof Ian Jones, Professor of Virology, University of Reading, said: “Vaccinating all school children, regardless of whether they are high risk or not, has been discussed before and was an option when pandemic flu appeared to be targeting the young.

“There is very strong evidence of benefits from vaccinating all children as not only does it protect the vaccinated child, but it also benefits society generally as children act as ‘superspreaders’.

"There are many safety tests that are gone through and this particular vaccine has been used extensively in the US. It’s also extremely unlikely that there could be any issue of ‘over-vaccinating’ as it is a nasal spray."

Prof Adam Finn, Professor of Paediatrics, University of Bristol Medical School, said: “The catalyst for this interest is the arrival of a new nasal flu vaccine, which is very easy to give and is licensed for children from age two. There are, essentially no safety concerns about the nasal flu vaccine." http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... perts.html
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:59 pm

TeachInPeace wrote:If it ain't broke? I share a lot of the reservations listed by others here - hard to say if the shot matches the strain; hard to know exactly what is in the shot (I also have some food and medical allergies); hard to predict side effects, and the flu seems to pass me by anyway. I have lysol for my desk at work, vitamins for maitenance, and a steady diet of fruit, brown rice, and spicy vegetables.

Wait a minute ...

You have reservations because you're not sure "what is in the shot" and yet you spray Lysol all over your desk as a precautionary measure? Do you know what's in that stuff? Ever read the warnings on the can?

I'll survive.

Actually, you're going to die, brown rice or no. Even the most avid health nut is just so much worm food in the end. To a large extent, your longevity (and, depending on your age, the fact you've even made it this far) is a result of incredible advances in modern medicine and the "germ theory" that lead directly to the development of vaccines and antibiotics (the doctor who prescribed antibiotics for your virus was a quack, by the way).

But you go on with your bad asthmatic self.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:59 pm

I have not, and will not, agree to receive this government-encouraged truth serum.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:04 pm

I'm gonna make my own homemade vaccine.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:16 pm

Good idea. What do you want to start with? For smallpox, you'll need to find a cow with cowpox.

[Thus vaccine, "pertaining to cows, or of cows", from Latin vaccinus "from cows"]
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:21 pm

kurt_w wrote:Good idea. What do you want to start with? For smallpox, you'll need to find a cow with cowpox.

I might just suck on the teat of a cow with cowpox.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe