MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Saturday's gun rally at the Capitol

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Saturday's gun rally at the Capitol

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:22 pm

Pretty interesting discussion taking place on Facebook among the pro-gun rights activists planning to rally at the Capitol on Saturday as part of "Guns Across America."

In brief, they're talking about whether those who typically OC (that's Open Carry, as opposed to Conceal Carry) ought to at this rally and how that might be perceived by the "antis" (presumably those who are opposed to gun rights, in their minds).

One of the organizers puts it this way:

Good Morning Patriots. Again, I can't and won't tell anyone not to open carry. It is your right and it is not against the law. I would like to make another point on the subject though. Maybe because I always think of the worst in situations like this, is it possible that the anti's could do anything in their power to discredit us? Here is a made up situation: Joe, a pro 2nd Amendment guy is at the rally carrying openly. He is the average American just like us. You know, works, has a family, trying to save up for retirement, is sick of the government telling him what he can and can not do. Joe is a little educated, maybe a technical degree. He is passionate about the 2nd Amendment. Then you have Charles. He is highly educated, maybe a professor at a local university. He is totally against the 2nd amendment and hates guns! Bill is a manipulator. He is so smart he can twist words and he can push buttons. Bill even will get in your face with his finger or his own face. Screams and spit at you. Joe confronts Bill or Bill confronts Joe, doesn't really matter either way. Bill sees Joe's OC Glock on his side. Bill tries to touch it, just to get a response out of Joe....it escalates...and escalates...and escalates......What happens next? I want you guys to answer that question. Answer it truthfully as if you were Joe. You know yourselves better than anyone. Remember, not everyone who will be at the protest is on here. We don't know the personalities of most who will be there. Thank you for your time and support!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Saturday's gun rally at the Capitol

Postby minicat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:27 pm

When the NRA and these "gun rights" activists continue talking about how improving mental health care access needs to be the response to gun violence (rather than having less guns), I can't help thinking they should maybe do a bit of introspection.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:28 pm

Two takeaways here:

1) Pro-gunners are afraid they're not as smart as anti-gunners;

2) Charles changed his name to Bill between hating guns and becoming a master manipulator
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:35 pm

It's great that you're automatically a patriot because you choose to carry a gun.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:50 pm

wack wack wrote:Two takeaways here:

2) Charles changed his name to Bill between hating guns and becoming a master manipulator

No, first he described Charles who is smart and stuff but then Charles goes away and is replaced by Manipulatin' Bill, who spits in your face and grabs for your gun.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:00 pm

rabble wrote:
wack wack wrote:Two takeaways here:

No, first he described Charles who is smart and stuff but then Charles goes away and is replaced by Manipulatin' Bill, who spits in your face and grabs for your gun.

Maybe Charles went off and had a sex change operation and will show up in the next installment as Charlene.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:36 pm

What does "it escalates...and escalates...and escalates..." mean? Assault and battery?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:49 pm

What does "it escalates...and escalates...and escalates..." mean? Assault and battery?

It means whatever you want it to mean. That's the great thing about fantasy.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:09 pm

Meade wrote:What does "it escalates...and escalates...and escalates..." mean? Assault and battery?

It means that Joe shoots Bill. And then Charles grabs Darlene's gun and shoots Joe. And then somebody shoots Darlene, for the third escalation. Or maybe Darlene has another gun.

But clearly Charles needs to be in there somewhere, right? You can't just leave a character hanging like that.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:17 pm

Joe is sick of the government telling him what he can and can't do, but is passionate about the 2nd Amendment.

Let that one sink in for a minute.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:41 pm

I think it shows some of the gun guys are starting to be afraid of their own membership.

I can't imagine why.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:48 pm

I suggest keeping up with the comments section. It's fairly entertaining.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:50 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Joe is sick of the government telling him what he can and can't do, but is passionate about the 2nd Amendment.

Okay, I will.

Joe is passionate about the 2nd and, I'm guessing, the entire Bill of Rights because it is the part of the constitution which, as Madison et al. desired, limits the government's power over the people.

Am I missing something? Maybe you're making a subtle allusion to the famous 2008 Barack Obama quote? When asked at a fundraiser what he would do to counter Republican attacks, he answered,
“If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun. Because from what I understand folks in Philly like a good brawl. I’ve seen Eagles fans.”
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Boyce Johnson » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:01 pm

Joe is passionate about the 2nd and, I'm guessing, the entire Bill of Rights because it is the part of the constitution which, as Madison et al. desired, limits the government's power over the people.

In otjher words, it tells people what they can do, something to which Joe is opposed.
Last edited by Boyce Johnson on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boyce Johnson
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:03 pm

Meade wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Joe is sick of the government telling him what he can and can't do, but is passionate about the 2nd Amendment.

Okay, I will.

Am I missing something? Maybe you're making a subtle allusion to [some random, out-of-context statement from a liberal that arch-conservatives like to throw out there in a weak attempt to undermine a Democratic argument when in fact they either A) agree with the statement, B) are just concern-trolling, or C) both.]

Gonna just skip right over that nonsense at the end. No, you're definitely missing something. The 2nd Amendment -- like all amendments -- is 100% about the government telling people what they can and can't do. And I wouldn't be so sure this Hypothetical Joe (surprised he's not a plumber in the scenario) is a big fan of the 1st Amendment. The scenario's author seems to think it's possible Joe would respond to that lily-livered Professor CharlesBill's expression of his 1st Amendment rights with a fist right between ol' CB's pointdextery eyes.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government