MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Jodie Foster's award

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Jodie Foster's award

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:30 pm

When I heard the buzz about Jodie Foster's Golden Globe Awards speech, I immediately wondered, "What the heck did she win for?", since the only thing I remember her doing recently was The Beaver, and I was kinda surprised anyone would be honoring her for that. (Turns out she was also in Polanksi's Carnage, but I didn't know that until just now.) When I looked to see what she'd won, I must say I was extremely surprised she'd been awarded the Cecil B. Demille Award, which is given for "outstanding contributions to the world of entertainment."

I find this sort of baffling. She's a fine actress, no doubt, but her lifetime body of work isn't particularly noteworthy, near as I can tell. Silence Of The Lambs is considered a classic, and Taxi Driver, of course, but after that, I'm hard-pressed to imagine what, exactly, she's being honored for. I love Contact (and her performance in it), but I don't remember it being particularly popular or influential. Nell (which I didn't like) created a lot of buzz at the time, but does anyone remember or watch it now? The Accused was a big-screen Movie Of The Week-type deal, but again, who still talks about it now, let alone actually wants to sit through it? (It's not very good.)

Most of her career has been middling thrillers, little-loved costume dramas, mediocre comedies, and a whole lot of "she's so adult" roles when she was still a child. Just take a look at others who have received this award. What is the justification for including her in the ranks of these (mostly) true luminaries? Sure, I could just change a few words and titles and this post would apply just as well to Robin Williams, so they ain't all lifelong contributors to quality entertainment, but really, they mostly seem deserving to me, even if I don't particularly care for them (I'm not a fan of Bob Hope, for example, but I can certainly understand why he would be so honored.)

Just curious if maybe I've missed her influence or something over the years. Does it make sense that she received this award to anyone else?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Jodie Foster's award

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:56 pm

I love Jodie Foster. I grew up watching Jodie Foster grow up. She's this gay guy's gay hero. I give her my lifetime achievement award.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:02 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Just curious if maybe I've missed her influence or something over the years. Does it make sense that she received this award to anyone else?

It's an industry awards show. Why would any of the awards need to make sense? That would be like only putting deserving musicians into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:11 pm

I generally agree, Detritus, but again, just look at the list of others who've received it. They're a lot of the same folks I would pick if I were in charge of handing out Lifetime Achievements.

Kenneth -- I like Jodie Foster too, even if I'm not as exuberant as you. But is your enthusiasm based on her body of work or on her being a gay icon? And am I wrong to think that the latter isn't enough to justify this reward?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:19 pm

Her speech was odd. She knew beforehand that she was getting the thing. Right?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:56 pm

She seemed like an odd pick to me, but in the annals of bad awards choices, I would agree that the Rock and Roll HOF dwarfs all. Well, maybe the Emmy awards when they gave Candace Bergen the comedy award every year.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:30 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:The Accused was a big-screen Movie Of The Week-type deal, but again, who still talks about it now, let alone actually wants to sit through it? (It's not very good.)

I watched "The Accused" not long ago because my sister Jodie Foster won an Academy Award for her work in it. I found it interesting and worthwhile. It was directed by Jonathan Kaplan, who made "Over the Edge," an overlooked gem. I do think "The Accused" is one of those movies like "Crazy Heart" -- the lead performer gets a deserved Oscar for a memorable performance, but the film itself isn't one for the ages. "The Accused" is noteworthy for being the only film I'm aware of in which an important clue for solving a crime is found on the high score screen of an arcade game.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:48 am

As for Jodie winning the DeMille, I figure the two Best Actress Oscars work in her favor. That's two more than approximately everyone. The question is whether it makes sense to hand out awards for winning awards. Arts awards are frustrating. But maybe also meaningful? Is there a Madison Area Music Award-winning musician who hasn't flogged the honor at some point? Surely no one begrudges that. I say this as someone who has shamelessly touted my MAMA on many occasions.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:14 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:"The Accused" is noteworthy for being the only film I'm aware of in which an important clue for solving a crime is found on the high score screen of an arcade game.

I should be careful of making sweeping claims. But I'm pretty sure "The Accused" is the only ACADEMY AWARD-winning film in which an important clue for solving a crime is found on the high score screen of an arcade game. Not counting "Lawrence of Arabia."
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:26 am

I really liked Little Man Tate.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:26 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:It was directed by Jonathan Kaplan, who made "Over the Edge," an overlooked gem.
I think Kaplan is more deserving of a Lifetime Achievement Award, solely for having made Over The Edge, a fave which I cannot believe I left off my list of movies I never get sick of watching.

I guess Detritus was right all along. Looking for an explanation of how an arbitrary award is given is a fool's errand. Foster's talented, well-liked, intelligent, beautiful, and has won lots of awards. I guess it doesn't matter that she's only made a handful of worthwhile films. As Kenneth points out, that's a whole handful more than just about everybody. I was kinda hoping someone would explain where I'd been while she was achieving for a lifetime, but I guess I've been there all along.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:41 pm

rabble wrote:I really liked Little Man Tate.

"Home for the Holidays," which Foster directed, is one of my favorite holiday movies.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:44 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:It was directed by Jonathan Kaplan, who made "Over the Edge," an overlooked gem.
I think Kaplan is more deserving of a Lifetime Achievement Award, solely for having made Over The Edge, a fave which I cannot believe I left off my list of movies I never get sick of watching.

I think you're missing the point of a "lifetime achievement award".
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:06 pm

kurt_w wrote:I think you're missing the point of a "lifetime achievement award".
I think you missed the point of my tongue-in-cheek post.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:15 pm

Maybe Hollywood just felt the need to give upcoming child actors a positive role model?

I thought the same thing as you Wagstaff, but my wife kindly informed me that Jodi Foster has been acting for 47 years and making movies for 37 years.

Looking at her body of work, there have definitely been movies that wouldn't be held up as a showcase of modern film making, but you could say the same of several other actors who have received the award. Has Anthony Hopkins ever learned to say no to a script?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Movies