MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

2012-2013 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: 2012-2013 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started

Postby Crockett » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:51 am

Its going to be a loooong season this year. Why can't anyone but Brust rebound? Why doesn't ANYONE drive the lane besides Dekker?

This is mostly a team of young, inexperienced guys who have talent coupled with older, experienced guys who are way too tentative and look like they're scared to make a mistake.

Is this because Bo has beaten them down? I'm not sure but I sometimes wonder whether his 'system' sucks the confidence out of certain players by the time they're seniors. I mean, Ryan Evans, come on man, what's with you? And the red-haired one, well, we now see what happens when you're not open all the time because everyone is guarding Taylor.

I have hope for next year with a Gasser, Dekker combo. Now only if they had a center who actually had post moves. My kingdom for a center who isn't constantly taking threes...
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:13 am

Name one big man developed by Ryan.

Stiemsma is it, right? And it seems like every coach the Stiemer has had in the NBA has attempted to get him to run the floor and shoot the ball instead of just play defense and block shots.

JP Gavinski was an indication of what Bo does with big guys who can't shoot from outside: He sits them at the end of the bench and leaves them there. Helloooo down there, Evan Anderson! His attempts to turn Brian Butch into an inside/outside guy meant the Polar Bear left Madison with no ability to finish around the hoop.

Same was true for Keaton Nankivil, a really good player who had a nice all-around game, but needed to be cattle-prodded into the paint.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:10 pm

jjoyce wrote:Name one big man developed by Ryan.

Stiemsma is it, right? And it seems like every coach the Stiemer has had in the NBA has attempted to get him to run the floor and shoot the ball instead of just play defense and block shots.

JP Gavinski was an indication of what Bo does with big guys who can't shoot from outside: He sits them at the end of the bench and leaves them there. Helloooo down there, Evan Anderson! His attempts to turn Brian Butch into an inside/outside guy meant the Polar Bear left Madison with no ability to finish around the hoop.

Same was true for Keaton Nankivil, a really good player who had a nice all-around game, but needed to be cattle-prodded into the paint.

I guess I'd go with Mike Wilkinson, and the second best post player under Ryan just may be Ryan Evans. So, yeah, Bo may do better with players with more athleticism/better footwork than height. Welcome to Madison, Vitto Brown.

I don't entirely disagree with your point, but having watched a significant percentage of JP Gavinski's minutes in person, I don't think his relegation to the practice squad was solely because of his poor outside shooting; he was awfully clumsy for a high level college player. I think Evan Anderson has a much better chance of getting playing time (next year) than JP ever did, but he still seems to move at least a half-speed slower than the rest of the team, and I don't know if he can improve that.

My take on Butch vs. Stiemsma is that during their time here, Butch was a better athlete, but lacked the toughness necessary to make the post his territory, opponents knew that, and drank his milkshake sometimes. Stiemsma was a tougher player, but unfortunately, he didn't grow into his frame fully until after he left UW, and was sometimes a liability because of a tendency to foul. I don't know how many of those facts you can pin on Bo's skills at developing players.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:28 pm

Too bad Ryan couldn't keep JP Tokoto in Wisconsin. That kid is really playing well for UNC so far. But I'm guessing the Ryan system wasn't to Tokoto's liking...what a pure athlete. I think UW will get better as the year progresses, but the Big Ten is as tough as it's ever been.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:24 am

Yeah! The Badgers looked shaky on the foul line again (except for Bruiser), but they held off Penn State for the first win of the conference schedule. Their outside shooting was weak as well, but the inside game was not, and a pesky defense forced a lot of turnovers. The highlight of the game was easily Berggren's slam towards the end of the game which confirmed all of the reports of his athleticism. I thought the Badgers responded well to their poor shooting; there were a couple spots Brust opted to find another man open instead of launching an iffy three, and in one possession, he ended up even more open for a three from the wing, got the ball back, and made the shot. George Marshall played more in this game than any other, and showed he deserved it, with only one cringe-causing turnover. Bruiser played like the leader the Badgers need him to be.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:19 am

It's going to take Bo's best coaching job for this team to reach the NCAA tourney. No road game in the conference is easy, but the next game at Nebraska should be a cupcake compared to what follows:

#11 Illinois
@ #5 Indiana
@ Iowa
#18 Mich St
#9 Minnesota
@ #8 Ohio St
@ #11 Illinois
Iowa
#2 Michigan
@ #9 Minnesota
#8 Ohio St

9 out of 11 games against Top 18 teams, plus throw in two games against a fierce rival that swept us last year. Ouch.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:58 pm

Here's the clip of Berggren's slam. The shot of the bench's reaction is sweet.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:14 am

O.J. wrote:It's going to take Bo's best coaching job for this team to reach the NCAA tourney. No road game in the conference is easy, but the next game at Nebraska should be a cupcake compared to what follows:

#11 Illinois
@ #5 Indiana
@ Iowa
#18 Mich St
#9 Minnesota
@ #8 Ohio St
@ #11 Illinois
Iowa
#2 Michigan
@ #9 Minnesota
#8 Ohio St

9 out of 11 games against Top 18 teams, plus throw in two games against a fierce rival that swept us last year. Ouch.

Yeah, I was talking with a co-worker about this. Wisconsin has an amazing ability to reach the tournament year after year even if their runs are rarely terribly deep, but the quality of the BIg Ten this year makes a tourney invite a challenge in and of itself. I'd like to think that come selection time, the NCAA will take into account the amazing depth of the Big Ten, but it's going to take a miracle to squeak into the tournament with a team that just over .500. They really need to log a few quality wins over top ten opponents to get a nod, and with their youth I'm not sure that we should discount the potential for some serious growth as the season wears on.

If anyone can do it, Bo Ryan can, but I wouldn't consider it a slam-dunk. The Badgers may find themselves in the NIT for the first time in Bo Ryan's career and it would break an impressive streak of 14 straight appearances.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:52 am

I am too giddy to post reliably, but that was an utter demolishing of the 12th/13th ranked team in the nation. The Badgers held the Illini to 9 points through the first 17 minutes of the game. What was great to witness was the effort and success building on itself; I think the Badgers were even a little surprised at how well they could play when things started clicking. They wanted every loose ball, every rebound, and got most of them, unlike previous games. Berggren finally got a double-double, and I take back what I said before about Evans being the second best inside player Bo has developed. Berggren owned it today, and to be fair, Big Frank was no letdown in substitution. Dekker served up a non-freshman-like alley-oop to Berggren, and got a dunk of his own later. Marshall finally rose above playing without mistakes, and we saw a glimpse of what his personal specialties will be. Evans went 2 for 2 at the line, and was able to smile after the first one rattled in.

In summary, here's Bo's summary:

"That's as well as we've played for a total of 40 minutes against that caliber of a team," Ryan said. "That's probably as good as we've played this year, and what you have to do is know that tomorrow, we're practicing for next. That's how short-lived a victory like this can be."

Bring on the Hoosiers.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:10 pm

Wow. Just wow. Huge road win against #2 in the country.

And I was worried the Badgers might miss the tourney.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:32 pm

pjbogart wrote:And I was worried the Badgers might miss the tourney.

They still might; it's a long season.

But yes - the last two games significantly increased the likelihood that they'll get yet another bid to the Big Dance. It's still a brutal schedule, however, and I still think this Saturday's game at Iowa is a 'must-win.' There are really only three doormats in the conference this year - Purdue, Penn State and Nebraska. The key to a successfull season for Bucky is in how they do against the good-but-not-great teams - namely, Iowa, Northwestern and Michigan State.

If they can sweep the chumps and finish over .500 against the middle of the conference, I think they're in good shape to pick up an 8 or higher seed regardless of what happens in the Big 10 tournament. If not, they'll have to win at least one game in the conference tournament to punch their ticket.

At least that's how I see it.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:32 pm

If the Badgers can play defense like they did last night and keep up the good shooting, they'll do just fine:) I thought their guard play was amazing last night. Boy did Tom Crean beat it out of there fast or what? Fastest post-loss handshake in Big Ten history!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:11 pm

Marvell wrote:
pjbogart wrote:And I was worried the Badgers might miss the tourney.

They still might; it's a long season.

The brutal January schedule, which could have brought the Badgers to their knees hovering at just over .500, is now looking pretty favorable. The Badgers are now 13-4, having just put down the two toughest games on the January schedule and it's very possible that they'll finish January 7-1 instead of the 3-5 that seemed more likely.

I won't argue that it's not a long season, but where it seemed we had to pray to pick off a few upsets just to stay in contention, they've now not only proven that they CAN pull those upsets, but the rest of the games don't seem so impossibly hard. At Ohio State, at Minnesota and at Michigan State are still marked as likely losses, but the rest of the schedule suddenly looks more sunny. Even Michigan at home seems like a possible win, where a month ago I would have called that an almost guaranteed loss.

My prediction, 22-9 on the season and we punch a solid 6 seed, given strength of schedule. Best case scenario, maybe 24-7 and a 5 seed. Worst case scenario, 19-12 and a 9.

I really don't see how we miss the tourney at this point, barring a devastating injury.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:45 pm

Free throws, motherfuckers.

Hit some.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:07 pm

Bench Evans. Please.
Crockett