MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

The gun thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The gun thread

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:27 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:There is no evidence that the majority of gun owners have any intention of staging an armed revolt

I don't think that was ever mentioned.

Francis Di Domizio wrote:If one were to apply your thinking here to race, rather than possession of firearms, would you be OK with that?

That's stupid and you know it. False equivalency.

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Ah, I missed where we went from discussing the Citadel to judging all heavily armed nut cases by the actions of a few.

No. The argument came from this comment and I fully agree. Are you aware of who he is speaking of?

fisticuffs wrote:As demonstrated by this guy in TN who thinks Obama is going to unilaterally take their guns and destroy the second amendment is clearly not in touch with reality. And telling his "students" to prep for civil war qualifies as dangerous all by itself.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:33 pm

If one were to apply your thinking here to race, rather than possession of firearms, would you be OK with that?

Agreed. This is the dumbest line in this thread. No small task.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:03 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:There is no evidence that the majority of gun owners have any intention of staging an armed revolt

I don't think that was ever mentioned.

Then I think Fisticuffs needs to clarify who "these people" he was referring to when he made this statement are.
Fisticuffs wrote:Whatever it is these people are delusional and well-armed which makes them dangerous.

Stebben84 wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:If one were to apply your thinking here to race, rather than possession of firearms, would you be OK with that?

That's stupid and you know it. False equivalency.

Agreed, I failed to make my point clearly with that statement. The point I was attempting to make was that judging the guys putting up the Citadel (and I think there is plenty of valid reasons to judge them) based on the actions of several other groups who have some similar beliefs is stupid. The groups in Michigan and Tennessee are/were definitely dangerous. That doesn't automatically make the group putting up the Citadel dangerous.

Stebben84 wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:Ah, I missed where we went from discussing the Citadel to judging all heavily armed nut cases by the actions of a few.

No. The argument came from this comment and I fully agree. Are you aware of who he is speaking of?

fisticuffs wrote:As demonstrated by this guy in TN who thinks Obama is going to unilaterally take their guns and destroy the second amendment is clearly not in touch with reality. And telling his "students" to prep for civil war qualifies as dangerous all by itself.

My Google abilities are failing me, so no. Anyone have a link? That said, having a stupid opinion about what Obama's 2nd Amendment plans isn't inherently dangerous. On the other hand prepping and instructing others to prepare to respond violently to said imagined plans clearly is dangerous.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:20 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:My Google abilities are failing me, so no. Anyone have a link?

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/e ... un-control

Enjoy and tell me this guy isn't a possible threat. Oh, and it's not just a couple forons who think he is a threat.

The Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security announced today the suspension of James Yeager’s handgun carry permit after he was featured in a threatening YouTube video post that went viral earlier this week.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/e ... l-response
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:32 pm

Myself, I'm perfectly happy judging all heavily armed nut cases by the actions of a few.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:34 pm

I think the Citadel fantasyland as drawn up right now (going by what we see in the link, anyway) is a defensive setup. Look at all the perimeter stuff. If they were going on the offensive they'd be infiltrating urban areas and setting up cells, wouldn't they? What are they going to invade out in Idaho, if it's as full of kindred spirits as they assume?

Not that they (or somebody) couldn't be setting up the cells too, but I think the central fantasy is they're retreating into the mountains to gather as one true remnant of noble savagery.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:55 am

I guess it might be too much to ask of the Obama administration to declare the NRA a terrorist organization. I'd love to se LaPierre's carotid bulge when he held a press conference to refute that designation. McCain would probably stroke out on camera. These folks excluded gun manufacturers from any liability resulting from their products- tell me they aren't the NRA's bitches? The old NRA understood America. The new NRA hates America, unless, of course, you are a legal gun owner.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:33 pm

The NRA wouldn't exist if the ACLU did its job.

Mrs. Ned was already a member. I joined this week thanks to their best spokesman, BHO.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:37 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I joined this week thanks to their best spokesman, BHO.
I guess it's progress when Ned doesn't use a cutesy name to refer to his President.
This immediately came to mind when I saw his post:
Republicans Accuse Obama Of Using Position As President To Lead Country
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:38 pm

Gotta do what you can to help protect the gun manufacturers.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:47 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:The NRA wouldn't exist if the ACLU did its job.

Mrs. Ned was already a member. I joined this week thanks to their best spokesman, BHO.

I sent $1000 to Gabrielle Giffords' new anti-gun PAC thanks to your new spokesman.
Last edited by wack wack on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:49 pm

Stebben84 wrote:

Gotta do what you can to help protect the gun manufacturers.

Exactly. Many have been around for over 100 years. They helped this nation win wars and individuals protect themselves.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:51 pm

Sheriff: I won't enforce Obama's gun laws: thus violating his oath of office.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:56 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Sheriff: I won't enforce Obama's gun laws: thus violating his oath of office.

Maybe he's setting up a "gun sanctuary city".
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:04 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Sheriff: I won't enforce Obama's gun laws: thus violating his oath of office.

Good for him. Hope he loses his job.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines