MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Saturday's gun rally at the Capitol

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Saturday's gun rally at the Capitol

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:50 pm

See, Ned's got it.

A lot of the people excited about demonstrating at the Capitol are the same folks who called the events of 2011 a "siege" and decried those activists for intimidating tactics against those with whom they disagreed. And here they are considering whether to openly carry "long" guns and wear tactical clothing or simply conceal their guns when attempting to surround the Capitol building.

They call each other "patriot" like the labor activists refer to each other as "brother." They spend a lot of time on signs and chants that aren't as clever as they hope. They even post idiotic things to internet message boards. And my guess is that the vast majority will be pained to see a few from the fringe minority show up. They'll probably insist that those folks are plants sent to make them look bad. They simply want to petition the government on behalf of their cause. Certainly any attempt to legislate their activism out of existence would be unjust if not unconstitutional and anti-American, right?

By the way, anybody want to set an over/under number for attendance?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:59 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Wait. Aren't these people exercising their rights in their house of goverment? Isn't that the most beautiful thing in the world?

Sure. More power to them.

Ned Flanders wrote: Where's MSNBC?

Or FOX and their palm trees. It's a nationwide rally so we'll see how much people really care about this.

List of confirmed speakers:

1.) Pastor David King
2.) Dave Charland
3.) Kirsten Lombard
4.) Todd Welch
5.) Jake Jacobs
6.) Josh Tolley
7.) State Representive Don Pridemore

I hope someone records this. I hear Don Pridemore is one of the heavy hitters in the state legislature.

jjoyce wrote:By the way, anybody want to set an over/under number for attendance?

Well, Facebook has 304 confirmed guest and we all know how reliable event request are. I'm going for about 175 with a counter protest of about 50.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:59 pm

By the way, anybody want to set an over/under number for attendance?

150. Most of them spend their weekends cleaning their guns.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:02 pm

FWIW from their Facebook page:

Some have mentioned the Pledge of Allegiance. I for one will not recite this pledge!

I believe in the voluntary association of independent states, not in an "indivisible" federalist nation.

Right on. Now that's a patriot.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:08 pm

Sorry, one more:

I am going to throw this out there. Like a Boy Scout we all need to be prepared. Prepared for the worst. My small list of preparedness is as follows:

1. Make sure someone not at the event knows you are there. Tell them that you will call them at a certain time or when leaving the event so they know you are safe.

2. Have a Madison Attorney's number on hand....just in case.

3. Bring plenty to drink. Also, maybe some snacks. It will be cold and windy. The weather will dehydrate you and burn up calories.

4. Have an escape route(s) prepared in advance. Be flexible and be ready to change it at a moments notice.

If anyone body wants to add to this list, please do so.

Thank you Patriots!

Jeebus Christ are they paranoid. Are they expecting the Apocalypse?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:11 pm

These people need mental care, not guns.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:16 pm

Anyone have a link to information about a counter-protest? I haven't seen any information about one.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:20 pm

Anyone have a link to information about a counter-protest? I haven't seen any information about one.

Crazy people with guns planning escape routes? I'm sitting this one out.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:20 pm

To think that some of these folks take great delight in clowning Jeremy Ryan. Has that guy ever sounded like this?

Fellow Patriots: It has come to our attention that some of the side bar conversations that are occurring, have alarmed some of our fellow patriots that are planning on bringing their families to the event on Saturday. The event page is meant to help quickly and effectively get logistical information from the organizers out to families that want to come to celebrate and promote their second amendment rights with us on Saturday. We at Wisconsin’s Guns Across America Event do NOT condone any messages or behaviors that even hint at revolutions or domestic terrorism, even if it’s just offered up as a response to a “Highly Hypothetical Situation.” If you want to have that type of dialogue, please find a different place to do so. Any comments that can be interpreted to be threatening or intended to incite violence will be taken seriously; you will be banned from this page, and reported to The Wisconsin Capitol Police. This is not up for discussion.
I have a responsibility to all who are present to preserve order and peace. And I have a responsibility to adhere to Facebook’s Terms of Service. “See Part 3 Safety, Part 7 You will not post content that: is hate speech, threatening, or incites violence. “Paraphrased” I ask that you refrain from posting anything questionable. If you think some of your posts might possibly be objectionable, I encourage you to take them down. Time is drawing near for our event. I ask that we stay focused on the true meaning of this rally. That is: Peaceful Protest against any new Gun Laws represented before Congress.
Thank you for all your support!
Earl Arrowood – WI Organizer/Guns Across America

This comment is one of many from a guy who seems to have typed thousands of words in the past day alone:

If the Usurper Proclaims Executive Order I say EVERYBODY brings their long guns and be darn sure they bring their 30 mag + + + clips, TO DEMONSTRATE our PEACEFUL RESOLVE to STAND OUR GROUND.

Another:

I took off ALL the posts i had on here! I dident intend to insult anyone on here,But tell ing me i was a troll,That was an insult! I spend many hours on facebook promoting our freedoms,Did any of you whom thought i was a troll go look at my web page on here? Go look at the posts i get that i repost all the time.I spend countless hours in this chair putting out the word that our country is under attac from within TROLL Good luck as i say at the Capital and show the country in a positive way we can be peaceful and informative i will leave you to it good luck and prayer's and peace!

And another:

Even though bayonets have a very safe and well made sheaf, with a mechanical button lock. I don't think it is necessary, it may get in the way some and if the sheaf is purposely pulled off somehow, because it CANNOT come off without pushing the button, it is really sharp and dangerous. I will not be bringing mine to this event. It will not really help this cause in anyway.

Not that it would bother me personally. I could care less. Just the idiot stupid general public who know nothing of these things get foolish silly ideas over these things. To them it will look like too much. To me and my family and kids, it would make us laugh and put a smile on our faces, because we know and understand that it would be in fun. My son brought mine for Deer Hunting a couple of years ago. It was a hit at Deer Camp!

Wait, no, that was my 28 year old daughter! That really made it fun / funny. Yes she used my M-1 Garand for Deer Hunting, with the bayonet on; she's a card and a sweet heart, and about 4 better shots on the AQT to being a Rifleman.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Sheaf?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:28 pm

Just the idiot stupid general public...
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:35 pm

Sheaf?

That's what "sheath" sounds like when you don't have any "teef". Coincidence?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:40 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
Sheaf?

Not when you understand that flouridated water is a commie plot.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:42 pm

Stebben84 wrote:3. Bring plenty to drink. Also, maybe some snacks. It will be cold and windy. The weather will dehydrate you and burn up calories.

How did I ever survive a Wisconsin winter without this?

fisticuffs wrote:
Sheaf?

Fisti, this post alone makes me glad I never blocked you.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:14 pm

But tell ing me i was a troll,That was an insult! I spend many hours on facebook promoting our freedoms,

Its a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government