MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, November 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Monona Terrace Hotel: It's really more of a Shelbyville idea

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Monona Terrace Hotel: It's really more of a Shelbyville

Postby seemunkyz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:22 pm

snoqueen wrote:We cannot afford to build a huge amount of infrastructure hoping an obsolete business/professional/academic networking model will revive. I think the city should put its development dollars into cultivating permanent small- to medium-size businesses in the downtown, the east side, and the airport/MATC area all of which are underutilized. Spreading our development resources among a number of businesses instead of just one (conferences/conventions) seems wiser than putting all the eggs in one basket.

While using the money to attempt to icrease vitality in underused areas is a great ideal to aspire to, this would simply help money that is already in Dane County exchange hands, which would happen anyway. The fact of the matter is that while technology changes the nature of the game, this type of market is far from dead which is proven by the Millions of dollars in Tax revenue created by such gatherings in Madison every year. If we are able to draw in new conventions, or even keep the conventions we already have, then this is money coming into Dane County from other areas which would in turn create tax revenue, which gives us more money to develop these underused areas.

The Downtown area is pretty much completely supported by Visitors that come in for the UW and Convetntions, yet still manages to produce more tax revenue than any other area in Dane County.

In addition, many large scale businesses are drawn to headquarter in Madison because they are able to host such great conventions and events, which once again leads to more tax revenue.

And while the convention mentioned above has been in Madison 3 of the last 10 years, there are a number of conventions that choose the same location year after year. Besides, 3 of 10 years is better than 0 of 10 years.
seemunkyz

Postby seemunkyz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:49 pm

The City of Madison Legistar site has a summary of the 162 page report.

http://madison.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=1267408&GUID=EAEAF86A-BC54-46A8-97A8-EAFEA2589396

Here are the highlights:

It says that a lack of hotel space is the #1 reason a company or convention will pass up Madison as an option.

The same study indicates that conventions and meeting style conferences have surpassed pre-recession levels.

Other midwestern cities have nearly 1,500 hotel rooms within radius of their convention center, while Madison has 1,000. The hilton itself has 240 rooms, and is the only technical convention hotel.

The study also goes on to mention that the hotel rooms aren't the only important factor. Additional convention space is needed as well, as the Monona Terrace is smaller than the average convention center.

Last, and most convincing. Madison lost 94 separate conventions in 2012, which led to an economic impact of $54 Million, and are estimated to lose another $35 Million this year.

-Johnson Consulting

I'll leave out the projections for the impact this will or will not have since they are all speculation, but the data from the study is fairly convincing. Especially since it seems like the project will pay for itself in a short period of time.
Last edited by seemunkyz on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seemunkyz

Postby rabble » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:28 pm

Okay. So we got psforsberg, who sets up conventions, saying this is more than we need right now, is risky, and there aren't enough conventions going around right now to make it last.

And we have seemunkyz who tells us he has no doubt this project will pay for itself in a short period of time and we lost 90 conventions last year just because we had no hotel.

Damn. What a quandary.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:38 pm

seemunkyz wrote:How interesting, after posting my last comment, I actually found a study on this very topic.

http://madison.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=1267408&GUID=EAEAF86A-BC54-46A8-97A8-EAFEA2589396

It says that a lack of hotel space is the #1 reason a company or convention will pass up Madison as an option.

Holy cow someone should have started a topic with that study at the core of the original post. GAMECHANGER.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby seemunkyz » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:22 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
seemunkyz wrote:How interesting, after posting my last comment, I actually found a study on this very topic.

Holy cow someone should have started a topic with that study at the core of the original post. GAMECHANGER.

I can't tell if this is scarcasm or not. Technically the original 162 page report was attached to the article initially linked, but I don't blame anyone for not reading it. There was a Committee meeting on Monday night where they summed up the report into a nice 30 slide powerpoint, which is how I found the legistar link.
seemunkyz

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:48 pm

Just to bring the Simpsons references full-circle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snsj0L8-4Iw
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:51 pm

seemunkyz wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:....Holy cow someone should have started a topic with that study at the core of the original post. GAMECHANGER.

I can't tell if this is scarcasm or not.

I can.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby seemunkyz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:38 pm

Seemunkyz removed the content of this post out of respect for snoqueen
Last edited by seemunkyz on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
seemunkyz

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:46 pm

seemunkyz wrote:Thank you for making me ashamed for the first time in my life to be from Wisconsin.

Does that mean you voted for Ron Johnson and Scott Walker?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:46 pm

seemunkyz wrote:Turns out everyone here is just wasting their time. I'll go waste mine somewhere else. Thank you for making me ashamed for the first time in my life to be from Wisconsin.
:cry:
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:47 pm

My goodness. You've been holding on to that for some time, haven't you?

You're right, I was being a bit of a dink. (I won't cop to "dick," because there certainly wasn't any malice intended.) For that, I'm sorry.

But was it that bad, that this is what makes you ashamed to be from Wisconsin? Not Jeffrey Dahmer, or Joe McCarthy, or Paul Ryan's workout photos -- but snark on the internet?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby seemunkyz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:53 pm

For snoqueen
Last edited by seemunkyz on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
seemunkyz

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:55 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:For that, I'm sorry.

Bullshit. Don't apologize. Here is what Monkey said:

He was called out and then said this:

seemunkyz wrote:Technically the original 162 page report was attached to the article initially linked, but I don't blame anyone for not reading it.

I agree I'm not going to read that either, but the article itself summed things up pretty nicely.

I won't apologize for calling people out on their mistakes.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:01 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:For that, I'm sorry.

Bullshit. Don't apologize.

Well, you'll note I only apologized for being a dink. Not for calling attention to seemunkyz' disinterest in reading the original link.

And given the grace with which seemunkyz accepted that apology, I'm sure we'll all be best buddies from now on.

DAMMIT I CAN'T HELP MYSELF.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby seemunkyz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:04 pm

Once again, for snoqueen...
Last edited by seemunkyz on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seemunkyz

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines