MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Ron Johnson's Reply to Me About Gun Control

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Ron Johnson's Reply to Me About Gun Control

Postby Gerth » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:39 pm

I sent an email to Ron Johnson urging him to support the national gun control measures proposed by Obama, below is his response. How does paragragh three help in any way?

Dear Gerth,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding your thoughts on federal gun control measures in light of the recent tragedy in Connecticut.

A terrible and incomprehensible act of violence took place at Sandy Hook Elementary School. We are all deeply impacted by the horror of little children and brave adults being murdered. There are many serious issues that will need to be discussed and considered in the weeks and months to come. But right now, our primary concern should be for the families and the community of Newtown.

At moments like this, America comes together to mourn and support one another. We will do so again in the coming days, and then search for answers on how to prevent such tragedies in the future

As your Senator, I believe it is my primary responsibility to uphold the Constitution and the Second Amendment is no exception. I will continue to strongly support our Second Amendment rights. One of the bills I have chosen to cosponsor regarding the Second Amendment is S. 570 introduced by Senator Jon Tester (D-MT) on March 14, 2011. This bill would prohibit the Department of Justice from tracking and cataloguing the purchases of multiple rifles and shotguns.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts . It is important for me to hear the views and c oncerns of the people I serve. Please feel free to contact me in the future if I can further assist you or your family. It is an honor representing you and the good people of Wisconsin in the U.S. Senate.

Sincerely,

Ron Johnson
United States Senator
Gerth

Re: Ron Johnson's Reply to Me About Gun Control

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:14 pm

I assume you mean the 4th paragraph.

Which helps to make it clear that Ron Johnson wants nothing to do with finding a solution to gun violence. Just in case that wasn't clear already.

I think they might actually have been less obvious in their indifference to the issue if they had just replied with "Dear person concerned about gun violence, Fuck You"
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:25 pm

I suspect the response is simply a form letter for any query regarding firearm laws in the wake of Newtown. If you had asked what he was doing to protect your Second Amendment rights, you would have received the same letter.

At any rate, the fourth paragraph is awkward, to say the least. Almost so awkward as to seem a little hoax-y. On the other hand, he is a shithead and has presumably surrounded himself with like-minded shitheads. So maybe it's authentic.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:50 pm

pjbogart wrote:I suspect the response is simply a form letter for any query regarding firearm laws in the wake of Newtown. If you had asked what he was doing to protect your Second Amendment rights, you would have received the same letter.

At any rate, the fourth paragraph is awkward, to say the least. Almost so awkward as to seem a little hoax-y. On the other hand, he is a shithead and has presumably surrounded himself with like-minded shitheads. So maybe it's authentic.

I Googled "Ron Johnson letter gun control" and the fourth link that came up was the Military Arms Youtube channel's forum, with the exact same letter quoted, 10 days ago. Given the amount of correspondence about this subject they must be getting, I'd be shocked if there were any legislators in Washington not using a form letter to reply about gun control. Ron Johnson just put in extra effort to make it clear in his that he's clueless.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wino » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:45 pm

He once proclaimed the Affordable Care Act to be the single greatest assault on freedom in his lifetime. It must be number 2 on his list now.
Wino
Forum Addict

Postby minicat » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:50 pm

I love that his strong response to Newtown was a 2011 bill to prohibit federal tracking of gun purchases.

Ron Johnson is an embarrassment to the state of Wisconsin and humanity in general.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:21 pm

I have to say, so far I rate his performance as "meets or exceeds expectations." Which is rather sad, really.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:39 pm

minicat wrote:I love that his strong response to Newtown was a 2011 bill to prohibit federal tracking of gun purchases.

Ron Johnson is an embarrassment to the state of Wisconsin and humanity in general.

It looks like the same reply I got from him, but hey... at least his response was more or less on topic. I wrote to Herb Kohl once regarding a veterans issue and months later received a boilerplate response pertaining to unrelated legislation. I wrote back and thanked him for sending me a response and told him it all sounded interesting and so on, but would you please respond to the issue I had written about? They didn't have the courtesy to respond at all after that. Needless to say that wasn't an example of good service to the constituency on a number of levels.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:00 pm

Dangerousman wrote:I wrote to Herb Kohl once regarding a veterans issue and months later received a boilerplate response pertaining to unrelated legislation. I wrote back and thanked him for sending me a response and told him it all sounded interesting and so on, but would you please respond to the issue I had written about? They didn't have the courtesy to respond at all after that. Needless to say that wasn't an example of good service to the constituency on a number of levels.

The reply was probably from his staff--I don't think they bothered waking Herb unless they thought it was really important.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:45 pm

Detritus wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:I wrote to Herb Kohl once regarding a veterans issue and months later received a boilerplate response pertaining to unrelated legislation. I wrote back and thanked him for sending me a response and told him it all sounded interesting and so on, but would you please respond to the issue I had written about? They didn't have the courtesy to respond at all after that. Needless to say that wasn't an example of good service to the constituency on a number of levels.

The reply was probably from his staff--I don't think they bothered waking Herb unless they thought it was really important.

Oh I'm sure it was a staff member's doing. We would never blame anyone but that actual doer of an action for something negative, would we?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:50 pm

No, really, senators answer all their own mail.

Kee-rist, can you imagine? They don't get anything done as it is.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the cut 'n' paste monkeys in Kohl's office had a pretty unenviable task ahead of them. You should have seen how many Selectrics they just moved out of that office.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:37 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:No, really, senators answer all their own mail.

Kee-rist, can you imagine? They don't get anything done as it is.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the cut 'n' paste monkeys in Kohl's office had a pretty unenviable task ahead of them. You should have seen how many Selectrics they just moved out of that office.

I remember when WI had two excellent Senators who got things done AND who would send letters that weren't composed and sent by some aide. Unfortunately Proxmire and Nelson are long gone. Feingold was very good also. I'm not impressed by the rest of the lot, although I think it's great there was a Wisconsin Senator named "Doolittle." Boy ain't that the truth!
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:26 pm

Well, I see RoJo the Clown is back in the news again for naively following the script handed to him. It's pretty clear the Rs consider him expendable. The wapo comments.

Isn't it amazing that being rich still doesn't entirely shield one from being called out as an idiot?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:25 pm

Johnson, sensing he had gotten too far out over his skis, eased back on Thursday. “Maybe I shouldn’t have speculated”

Maybe you shouldn't have run for congress assface. I don't know who I hate more, him or the people who voted for him.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:29 pm

Ron Johnson is the perfect example of a dumbass clown who sincerely believes the disdain he is receiving for his behavior is the result of the ignorance of the masses who don't appreciate his genius.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government