MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Honesty of the long-distance runner

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Honesty of the long-distance runner

Postby kurt_w » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:16 am

If you're depressed after weeks of the sports news being dominated by Lance Armstrong's doping, Manti Te'o's hoax, and rapists playing football ... here's the antidote:

Two weeks ago, on December 2, Spanish athlete Iván Fernández Anaya was competing in a cross-country race in Burlada, Navarre. He was running second, some distance behind race leader Abel Mutai - bronze medalist in the 3,000-meter steeplechase at the London Olympics. As they entered the finishing straight, he saw the Kenyan runner - the certain winner of the race - mistakenly pull up about 10 meters before the finish, thinking he had already crossed the line.

Fernández Anaya quickly caught up with him, but instead of exploiting Mutai's mistake to speed past and claim an unlikely victory, he stayed behind and, using gestures, guided the Kenyan to the line and let him cross first.

"I didn't deserve to win it," says 24-year-old Fernández Anaya. "I did what I had to do. He was the rightful winner.

More here.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Honesty of the long-distance runner

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:24 am

One thing I like about pro golf is that athletes have been known to call their own fouls. Webb Simpson probably lost the 2011 Zurich Classic because he called a foul and gave up a stroke when the wind moved his ball on the putting green. No one else even saw it. That weird rule was later changed.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:32 am

Heartwarming for sure, but you'll probably never hear of this guy again. From his coach:

Fiz says his pupil's action does him credit in human if not athletic terms. "The gesture has made him a better person but not a better athlete. He has wasted an occasion. Winning always makes you more of an athlete. You have to go out to win."

Sports lore is full of infamous mistakes. Roberto de Vincenzo in golf (golf history is full of these things), Fred Brown passing the ball to James Worthy in the closing seconds of the 1982 NCAA championship, etc. That's just the way it goes.

I remember in the early 80's Ivan Lendl and Jose Luis Clerc used to "give" each other line calls in tennis. The public thought they were so nice but the other players knew it was a recipe for disaster. Sooner or later one of them would be looking at the other for a call and would not get it. Better to just let the linesman do their jobs.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:40 am

Here's the honesty:
"Of course it would be another thing if there was a world or European medal at stake. Then, I think that, yes, I would have exploited it to win... But I also think that I have earned more of a name having done what I did than if I had won."

Must drive his coach nuts. The guy will never be a winner.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:54 pm

Yah, but I know who I'd rather have for a friend, for a neighbor, for a dinner guest. You aren't an athlete forever, but you're always a person.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:29 pm

Sure, if by "person" you mean dishonest loser who lacks any understanding of or respect for competition.

Now please pass the organic chickpea arugula salad.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:05 pm

Meade wrote:Sure, if by "person" you mean dishonest loser who lacks any understanding of or respect for competition.

Now please pass the "I want to be the biggest dick imaginable."

Fixt that for you...Dick.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:20 pm

Thx... Jane.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking