MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, July 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Isthmus Beer & Cheese Fest - 2013

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: Isthmus Beer & Cheese Fest - 2013

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:51 pm

For better or worse, this year was easily my most drunken Beer & Cheese Fest. Not sure why that was, exactly, but by 3:30, I was pretty damn tipsy, and by the end, I was in no condition to do anything but take a nap. I sure had a fantastic time, though, even I was so overwhelmed that I couldn't keep any of my tastings straight. Luckily, my girlfriend was keeping notes for us.

My fave was the Red Eye Tragically Hopped. (This also likely contributed greatly to my inebriation -- I can't remember the ABV, but I want to say it was around 9.5%) I sure love hoppy and this fit the bill quite deliciously.
Second fave was the Karben4 porter (I don't recall the name) -- chewy and smoky and oh-so-yummy. I'm not usually a big porter guy normally, but I went back for a second taste of this later in the day.

This year's fest was unfortunately timed for me in one respect: My fridge was already full of cheese! So I only came home with a single block this year, which was the Castle Rock Organic Farms Spinach, Leek and Garlic cheese. Holy tastiness! My other favorite was White Jasmine; I really liked both their BBQ and cumin goudas. I've had cumin cheese in the past and never really cared for it -- way too overwhelming cumin flavor (and I really love cumin, so that takes a lot) but I thought this stuff was very balanced. I will definitely pick some up once I've made more room in my cheese drawer. Biggest "what the?" of the fest: The huge, snaky line of people waiting for a taste of Crystal Farms. I honestly have no issue with their product -- it's perfectly cromulent grocery store cheese and usually my go-to when I want pre-shredded cheddar for something -- but artisanal it ain't.

Oh, and if the jackass who was hurling handfuls of pretzels which pelted me and my girlfriend is a foron: You sure are a jackass.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:11 pm

We might have to regulate the stuff people bring in from outside. The pretzel necklace situation is threatening to get out of hand. These have now expanded to include Cheez-It necklaces and I saw one guy who was alternating his pretzels with little bags of peanuts.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:14 pm

Did you see the guy with the giant roast turkey hanging around his neck?!?!?
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:35 pm

It's inevitable when you start serving mead by the flagon.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:43 pm

rrnate wrote:Did you see the guy with the giant roast turkey hanging around his neck?!?!?
That was a turkey? I just thought that was your neck.
ZING!

Fashion tip: if you want a lot of strangers to talk to you about your clothes, wear a Cheap Trick shirt.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:53 pm

Hey, Jason --

Has Isthmus posted the winners of the poll anywhere?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:25 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Fashion tip: if you want a lot of strangers to talk to you about your clothes, wear a Cheap Trick shirt.

It seems like every other dude in that joint wanted people to ask him about his t-shirt. And succeeded.

I'll look into the poll winners.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:19 pm

jjoyce wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Fashion tip: if you want a lot of strangers to talk to you about your clothes, wear a Cheap Trick shirt.

It seems like every other dude in that joint wanted people to ask him about his t-shirt. And succeeded.

My favorite: "What happens in a black hole, stays in a black hole."

My biggest complaint was the anarchy of the ticket line. I got there about 2:30 and moved up to the entry. Handed the ticket taker my ticket, moved forward and another volunteer asks me, "where's your wristband?"

"Wristband?" I ask, then I see others with wristbands. I run back to the ticket-taker, he says "that guy is handing out wristbands." 'That guy' says, "I'm out of wristbands." I see another volunteer one line over with wristbands and cut-in to get one. She asks me where my ticket is, I say I already gave it to that guy, she looks incredulous but fortunately I get his attention and he gives the thumbs up.

So it ended well, but I easily could have been left without a ticket or a wristband and no way to prove I ever had one. I also saw other people in the same limbo ... hopefully the got theirs resolved as well.

My advice, if you're going to split up the responsibility of ticket takers and wristband wrappers is to employ a chute system. People line up and cannot enter the chute without a ticket, then cannot exit the chute without receiving a wristband. So if they run out of wristbands at one end, the line stops until they reload.

I know this will never run flawlessly because you do it once a year. If you ran the event every weekend, you'd have it running perfectly within a month.

BUT HEY, THERE WAS A LOT OF GOOD BEER SO NO HARD FEELINGS, MAN.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:40 am

jjoyce wrote:I'll look into the poll winners.
My girlfriend keeps asking me if the winners have been posted yet.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:55 am

Athena wrote:Titletown's Ned Flanders brown ale is a very good sour beer

A sour beer? Would that be considered type-casting?
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails