MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Crew of 4 invades house brimming with guns, steals them

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Crew of 4 invades house brimming with guns, steals them

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:56 pm

jjoyce wrote:Far from ridiculing them, I'm concerned about them. I....

So I imagine you're outraged by the publication of names of pistol permit holders by the Journal News in NY.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:12 pm

Dangerousman wrote:

So I imagine you're outraged by the publication of names of pistol permit holders by the Journal News in NY.

You're familiar with the term "false equivalence"

By the way, they've got guns, so what are they afraid of?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ejbrush » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:57 am

But they're not prohibited. They subject to either a $5 or $200 tax, but perfectly legal to buy and own under federal law.

Yes, you are right, they are not expressly prohibited. I misspoke. However, the background check, LEO sign-off and transfer tax do make the process a sufficient hassle that most people just won't bother. If magazines and other feed devices* over x number of rounds were added to the 1934 NFA, they would not be banned, most people wouldn't bother with the hassle, and the majority of sporting and recreational firearms users would never know the difference.

*except for Hotchkiss feed strips. I want to see someone build up an AR upper that runs Hotchkiss strips, just to force that group to develop some mechanical creativity and original thinking.
ejbrush

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:20 pm

ejbrush wrote:I want to see someone build up an AR upper that runs Hotchkiss strips, just to force that group to develop some mechanical creativity and original thinking.

Man, you bust be a big hit at parties.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:45 pm

ejbrush wrote:I want to see someone build up an AR upper that runs Hotchkiss strips, just to force that group to develop some mechanical creativity and original thinking.

So, you would propose an assault rifle that not only has an ammo strip awkwardly sticking out to the side, but also fires from the open bolt position? I'll just assume you have absolutely no infantry experience.

NOW does this belong in THE gun thread???
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:55 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:

You're familiar with the term "false equivalence"

By the way, they've got guns, so what are they afraid of?

Well some people have indicated they would find it kind of funny if someone with a "protected by Smith & Wesson" sticker on their door got robbed of their guns. I agree it's not always prudent to advertise that you've got guns in the house. But what about when someone else advertises the fact for you against your wishes? e.g., those idiots at the newspaper in NY?

"They've got guns, so what are they afraid of?" Has anyone said just owning a gun makes you safer, i.e., facing fewer threats? Having a house full of guns doesn't do any good against a home invasion unless: 1) you have one ready to use, and 2) you're actually willing to use it.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:51 pm

Dangerousman wrote:"They've got guns, so what are they afraid of?" Has anyone said just owning a gun makes you safer, i.e., facing fewer threats? Having a house full of guns doesn't do any good against a home invasion unless: 1) you have one ready to use, and 2) you're actually willing to use it.

Thank you for that brilliant insight about gun ownership, dangerousman. And thank you also for your painstaking attention to detail in changing font size in the middle of your post. It was much easier on the eyes in 85.

So, to review, if you're going to have a house full of guns, make sure one of them is ready to use and someone is around who's able and willing to use it. Otherwise having a house full of guns is really stupid and might get you killed.

We're not going to get bills in the mail for this advice, are we?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:52 pm

Nobody ever deserves to be robbed or is asking to be robbed. Not even the kind of jerk who would put a sign like this on his lawn.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:42 pm

jjoyce wrote:Nobody ever deserves to be robbed or is asking to be robbed. Not even the kind of jerk who would put a sign like this on his lawn.

I'd still be interested in your opinion of the paper publishing those names and addresses. It is sort of like putting a "have guns" or "don't have guns" sign in front of every residence in the county, right? Are they jerks too?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:55 pm

Remember that paper published addresses of those with legal, licensed guns. Anybody who thinks this is the same as a list of all places with guns hasn't been following along.

Increased ability to track (at least some) sales and to track guns by serial numbers in a single national database might show where the leaks are. That's the more valuable information.
Last edited by snoqueen on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:55 pm

pjbogart wrote:We're not going to get bills in the mail for this advice, are we?

No, just you. What's this "we" shit?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:58 pm

snoqueen wrote:Remember that paper published addresses of those with legal, licensed guns. Anybody who thinks this is the same as a list of all places with guns hasn't been following along.

Increased ability to track (at least some) sales and to track guns by serial numbers in a single national database might show where the leaks are. That's the more valuable information.

Alright Sno, if you want to weigh in on it: was the paper providing a public service as they claim or was it an irresponsible stunt? Or... what?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:03 pm

I said it before. I think the net public safety effect of this is zero.

You could get guns stolen from a gun owner who wasn't home and those guns later used in crimes resulting in all sorts of misery. You could get an attempted robbery and the robber could be shot dead, resulting in a death over a property crime. You could get unarmed houses being robbed while the owner is home, resulting in injury, death, or terrorization if that's a word. You could get unarmed houses being robbed but the robber finds out the homeowner actually was armed, looping back to condition #2. You could get riobbers breaking into a supposedly gun-filled house and finding no guns because their owner privately sold them earlier and didn't update the registry. You could get every possibility imaginable, and every one of those possibilities could also happen without the map being published.

I don't think it was an irresponsible stunt, I think it was a journalistic decision that's brought about some very useful public discussion.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ejbrush » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:35 am

So, you would propose an assault rifle that not only has an ammo strip awkwardly sticking out to the side, but also fires from the open bolt position? I'll just assume you have absolutely no infantry experience.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Doesn't say anything at all about the arms needing to be elegant and svelt, does it? The founders didn't say "to keep and bear arms that are well balanced and have convenient ambidextrous controls."
At any rate, this thread has drifted far from the OP, and to that I do have a question - where exactly is the brim of a house? I live in a house, and would like to establish a brim so I will know when I have too much of something.
ejbrush

Postby wack wack » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:48 am

ejbrush wrote:"...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Just to be clear for you and Meade and anyone else here inclined to repeatedly clip just what is convenient from the Second Amendment, as well as those who may be misinformed by such selective quoting, here is the entire Second Amendment:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines