MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Kicking the Addiction

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Kicking the Addiction

Postby rabble » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:24 am

The thing about patches is that they're a constant delivery device. There aren't many of us who feel comfortable with a steady stream of our drug of choice. We want an initial surge and a slow decline, and we want to control the process.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:27 am

Oh, I hear ya, rabble. So as emergency back-up, I brought a pouch of chewing tobacco. And I'm wishing I'd brought two or three more.

My nephew quit that way, going from smoking to chew to nothing. Can't hurt to try it.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:46 am

I think the lozenges are a better choice. At least a cleaner one. :-) A lot more expensive, though.

I tried chew when I worked at a slaughterhouse. Everybody on the kill floor had a cheek fulla gunk. Didn't work for me.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:49 am

Galoot wrote:Oh, I hear ya, rabble. So as emergency back-up, I brought a pouch of chewing tobacco. And I'm wishing I'd brought two or three more.

My nephew quit that way, going from smoking to chew to nothing. Can't hurt to try it.

My boss did that and has now been dipping for the last 20 some odd years. He quit for a while and curb the addiction he chewed lentils. That didn't last.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:09 pm

Meade wrote:If you could go back in time and talk to that younger you, how would you advise her?

Don't feed the trolls.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:28 pm

jjoyce wrote:Don't feed the trolls.

I wasn't really feeding you, Jason. It was a general question, for anyone who wants to think about it.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:08 pm

My brother tried using Chantix for awhile and in a few short weeks it quite literally was driving him crazy. It took a few attempts, but he did eventually manage to quit the hard way.

My personal experience was that quitting cigarettes was one of the hardest things I ever did. And the most rewarding. Once I did that I realized that I could achieve practically anything if I wanted it that badly. I really hope everyone who tries to quit succeeds so they can know that feeling.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:10 pm

Meade wrote:If you could go back in time and talk to that younger you, how would you advise her?

I would have told myself: "please don't ever start, you will be very sorry later." However knowing my recalcitrant self back then, I would have just laughed.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:25 pm

I was the same way. Objective scientific information might have swayed me and convinced me not to start though. I don't remember this sort of information being available in the 50's. My pediatrician smoked. My boy scout troop leader smoked. Most of my teachers smoked (in the teachers' lounge), even our gym teacher smoked. My parents didn't smoke but most my friends' parents, almost all of whom were professors or professor's wives, did. One of my grandfathers didn't smoke and lived to be 89. The other smoked cigars and died of heart disease at 63.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:39 pm

Wow. It seems that nicotine continues to be a common touch stone around here. That is something!
MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:33 am

Here is another reason to kick the habit.

Millions of smokers could be priced out of health insurance because of tobacco penalties in President Barack Obama's health care law, according to experts who are just now teasing out the potential impact of a little-noted provision in the massive legislation.

The Affordable Care Act — "Obamacare" to its detractors — allows health insurers to charge smokers buying individual policies up to 50 percent higher premiums starting next Jan. 1.

For a 55-year-old smoker, the penalty could reach nearly $4,250 a year. A 60-year-old could wind up paying nearly $5,100 on top of premiums.

Younger smokers could be charged lower penalties under rules proposed last fall by the Obama administration. But older smokers could face a heavy hit on their household budgets at a time in life when smoking-related illnesses tend to emerge.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:12 am

Younger smokers could be charged lower penalties under rules proposed last fall by the Obama administration.

Does that really make sense? Shouldn't it be reversed? Charge higher penalties/taxes to younger smokers as they will potentially have more years to cost society in lost production and "free" health care.

Charge older retired or retiring smokers lower penalties/taxes, encourage them to keep smoking and die sooner. After all, at their age, the older smokers are no longer contributing. The sooner they die, the less they cost the rest of us.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:31 pm

Meade wrote:Charge older retired or retiring smokers lower penalties/taxes, encourage them to keep smoking and die sooner. After all, at their age, the older smokers are no longer contributing. The sooner they die, the less they cost the rest of us.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:32 pm

Don't forget to refuse them medical care or the equation won't balance out any more.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:03 pm

snoqueen wrote: silently quoted me saying:

"Charge older retired or retiring smokers lower penalties/taxes, encourage them to keep smoking and die sooner. After all, at their age, the older smokers are no longer contributing. The sooner they die, the less they cost the rest of us."

You tell us then, snoqueen - what will make the Affordable Care Act affordable? Affordability was the primary goal of our public policy deciders, right? Otherwise, they would have titled it the "Humane Care Act" or the "High Quality Care Act" or the "Equal Liberal Progressive Care Act". So yeah, if I get your tacit drift, "affordable" sounds rather eugenic-y and nazi-y, doesn't it?

And even then - why pick on people addicted to tobacco? Don't they already pay enough taxes and penalties as it is? Why not pick on heavy drinkers or fat people, people with birth defects or those with mental illnesses?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All