MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Crew of 4 invades house brimming with guns, steals them

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Crew of 4 invades house brimming with guns, steals them

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:56 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:I'm OK if you want to blame Henry, but they taught the same crap in Catholic school.

What the fuck are you talking about? BTW, I had twelve years of Catholic education.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:19 pm

wack wack wrote:So all that stuff I learned in school about the Second Amendment being related to the Third Amendment and a fear of a standing army was just BS?

Darn public school indoctrination.
It certainly appears to be so, since the the Constitution gives almost all of the powers of "regulating" the militia to Congress...

Article 1, Section 8, Clause 16
To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:31 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:
wack wack wrote:So all that stuff I learned in school about the Second Amendment being related to the Third Amendment and a fear of a standing army was just BS?

Darn public school indoctrination.
It certainly appears to be so, since the the Constitution gives almost all of the powers of "regulating" the militia to Congress...

Article 1, Section 8, Clause 16
To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

You clearly did not understand my point, or the entire issue of standing armies. Giving the power over militias to Congress is not an endorsement of standing armies.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:33 pm

No, but it does seem to indicate that the formation of State militias in the Constitution didn't happen to prevent a "tyranny" using a standing army, despite the thoughts of some of the founders.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:27 pm

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"
Francis Di Domizio wrote:I would point out that most people who insist that 2nd be taken as a whole, seem to miss the fact that the first half of the sentence doesn't actually grant or limit any rights, while the second half doesn't apply any limitations to the rights it grants. It takes a pretty twisted view of the English language to read the first part as anything other than a reason why the rights are being granted...
That is just such a good point.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:15 pm

More guns stolen.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/Guns-el ... index.html
Guns, electronics taken during burglary

"MADISON, Wis. - A handgun, a shotgun, ammunition, jewelry, a coin collection, electronics and a safe were taken during the daytime burglary of a Madison home, according to police.
Related Content Police were called to the home of a 58-year-old man and his family in the 6700 block of Schroeder Road at 4:15 p.m. Thursday."
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines