MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

What difference, at this point, does it make?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: What difference, at this point, does it make?

Postby pogo101 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:23 pm

"What difference at this point does it make?"

The answer is that it makes all the difference in the world for the future of this country. An incumbent president covered up the truth about the murder of a U.S. ambassador and three other American personnel during the climax of his re-election campaign, even puppeteered his United Nations ambassador to echo the lie on five TV shows, all to cover up the incompetence of the Obama administration's counter-terrorism policies.

Anything that distracted from Obama's re-election message that "Osama bin Laden is dead" couldn't be let out if the president's re-election was to be assured.

That's from today's IBD editorial. I'd say it's a pretty good answer. A coverup shortly before a President's re-election: OK in 2012, not so much in 1972? That's pretty wack(-wack)y.
pogo101

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:36 pm

They've got no answer. All they do is ask these pretend questions-that-aren't-questions.

And that's why fewer and fewer people are buying their version. There isn't anything there.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:10 pm

snoqueen wrote:They've got no answer. All they do is ask these pretend questions-that-aren't-questions.

And that's why fewer and fewer people are buying their version. There isn't anything there.

Exactly. Let's forget the destabilized Middle East, forget the dead Ambassador and his staff who were told to pound sand, forget all terrorists who moved on to the Algerian gas plant attack.

Can't we just move on? We have so much work to do for the children.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:15 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:and... scene

If only we could be so lucky.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:19 pm

I purchased cheap cat food and now my cat's breath smells like crap...What difference, at this point, does it make?

I'm sure people out there got other ones.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:29 pm

Hillary Clinton isn't going to be the Secretary of State anymore, so what difference does it make?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:30 pm

Let's forget the destabilized Middle East, forget the dead Ambassador and his staff who were told to pound sand, forget all terrorists who moved on to the Algerian gas plant attack.

Ahh, let us dig a bit deeper.

Are you implying we should have invaded Egypt at the time of the Arab Spring, and tried to control its elections?

Are you implying we should have armed forces stationed in north Africa around each embassy, and if so are you willing to allocate the money? Would the host countries permit those bases to be established?

Are you implying we should invade Algeria the way Bush II had us invade Iran?

You aren't?

What are you implying, then? If you find our actual courses of action so deficient, what would you propose instead?

Those are real questions, not push-poll meadisms. Answer them.

Give details. I want the whole thing.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:33 pm

pjbogart wrote:Hillary Clinton isn't going to be the Secretary of State anymore, so what difference does it make?

Ned's already worried about the 2016 election.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:35 pm

snoqueen wrote:Those are real questions, not push-poll meadisms. Answer them.

Sno, I know you're not that naive.

With that in mind:

I just crapped my pants, but I'm just about to head home from work so, what difference, at this point, does it make?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:51 pm

What a good place to start a forum. All that is needed is forons to replace the morons.

The progressive's rant, howl and troll the threads. With rarely a facts to channel, they almost always attack the poster instead of the subject.

Nice work.

Sad really, and why I mostly refrain from discussions that are less informative than a conversation with a wall.

Go ahead and have at me with your information challenged rants.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:56 pm

Sandi wrote:What a good place to start a forum. All that is needed is forons to replace the morons.

The progressive's rant, howl and troll the threads. With rarely a facts to channel, they almost always attack the poster instead of the subject.

Nice work.

Sad really, and why I mostly refrain from discussions that are less informative than a conversation with a wall.

Go ahead and have at me with your information challenged rants.

i'm sorry, was I support to have an opion about something that mattered? just what is that exactly?

Go ahead Sandi, give us some non-ranting, information-filled posts.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:06 pm

snoqueen wrote:
Let's forget the destabilized Middle East, forget the dead Ambassador and his staff who were told to pound sand, forget all terrorists who moved on to the Algerian gas plant attack.

Ahh, let us dig a bit deeper.

Are you implying we should have invaded Egypt at the time of the Arab Spring, and tried to control its elections?

Are you implying we should have armed forces stationed in north Africa around each embassy, and if so are you willing to allocate the money? Would the host countries permit those bases to be established?

Are you implying we should invade Algeria the way Bush II had us invade Iran?

You aren't?

What are you implying, then? If you find our actual courses of action so deficient, what would you propose instead?

Those are real questions, not push-poll meadisms. Answer them.

Here's the short bus version: Obama encouraged the "Arab Spring" movement knowing full-well that it might lead to the takeover of some nations by Islamists. Well, it happened, including in Libya. Some of the fruits of this genius bit of foreign policy have been the sacking of our embassy and the murder of an ambassador as well as the murder of Americans at the Algerian gas plant.

Don't you think that the smartest man and woman in the history of the world could have figured out that diplomats in some of these new hot spots might need some extra security?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:18 pm

It's hard to take the Republican bleating seriously. It was the Republicans, by the way, who were demanding Obama support the Libyan insurgency. That was, of course, before Obama did support the insurgency. Then the Republican criticism became unhinged--one day it was that Obama didn't do enough and that he was leading from behind, the next day it was that Obama shouldn't be involved in Libya at all. The Republican position seemed to flip around wildly, and was dependent more on political expediency and casting about for some domestic political advantage, rather than rooted in serious foreign policy. The Republican multiple-position on Libya and their ridiculous bleating about Benghazi is cut from the same cloth.

The Hillary hearing just exposed that Republicans aren't serious. Ronnie boy could have gotten on the phone and called anyone, as well, yet somehow he never thought of that. Hmmm, Ronnie, does it matter that YOU failed your own test of leadership?
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:36 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Here's the short bus version: Obama encouraged the "Arab Spring" movement knowing full-well that it might lead to the takeover of some nations by Islamists. Well, it happened, including in Libya. Some of the fruits of this genius bit of foreign policy have been the sacking of our embassy and the murder of an ambassador as well as the murder of Americans at the Algerian gas plant.

Don't you think that the smartest man and woman in the history of the world could have figured out that diplomats in some of these new hot spots might need some extra security?

Ah, so now it's Obama's fault that Americans were killed at an Algerian gas plant. Live a little, Ned. Just go ahead and say that Obama intended those people to die in Algeria, intended those countries to elect Islamist governments and intended our embassy in Benghazi to be overrun. Don't worry, you could spout this stuff for a week and not catch up to John Henry in the bat-shit-insane department.

But now all you need is a motive. Repealing the Second Amendment? Establishing Sharia law in Oklahoma? Interning conservatives in FEMA-run concentration camps?

I think you're onto something... you just need to take that next step.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:45 pm

So Ned gives us his decidedly revisionist version of the supposed "real" fruits of our foreign policy in north Africa. He doesn't answer my questions, which require a discussion of what foreign policy would have been better.

Not answering is implicitly conceding that because he can't come up with anything better, he's admitting we did the best we could under the circumstances.

I'm kinda with Stebben on the whole thing, though. I'm not naive enough to think I'll get a real discussion out of Ned. We have these known factors: 1) whatever Mrs. Clinton does throws Ned into fits because he categorically hates anything relating to any Clinton; 2) he really, really doesn't want to see her run for President so the way to go is to discredit anything she does as Secretary of State; and 3) anything President Obama does is wrong because... well, because.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government