Tuesday, September 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

C'mon Madison!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

C'mon Madison!

Postby Remember_Me » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:32 pm

22nd?!? Really?

We can do better than that.

Madison, home to the Freedom From Religion Foundation, may be viewed by some as the state’s secular center, but it couldn’t muster a Top 10 finish in a national ranking of America’s least “Bible-minded” cities.

It even ranked behind Milwaukee and Green Bay.

The newly released study by the American Bible Society pegs Providence, R.I., as the country’s least biblical city, based on regular Bible reading and belief in the Bible’s accuracy. Madison finished 22nd, behind Milwaukee (15th) and Green Bay (19th).

Read More...
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Do...NOT...want...

Postby Marvell » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:38 pm

I think it's high time that all those out-state haters like Steve Nass came to know Madison in a biblical sense.

Wait - that didn't come out right at all.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: C'mon Madison!

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:41 pm

You know what would be great journalism. Linking to the study so that we could read the criteria.

With that in mind, to hell with the Virgin Mary and that fuckwad Jeebus.

There, maybe that will boost our rankings.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:44 pm

I've been really trying to up my game here in Milwaukee. Glad to see it paid off.

The California-based Barna Group and the American Bible Society say Providence, R.I., is America’s least biblical city, at least based on regular Bible reading and belief in the “accuracy” of the Good Book.

that must have been a fun survey to take.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:22 pm

The same survey gives the ten most bible-minded cities as follows going from ten to one:

Charleston W.Va
Huntsville, Ala.
Roanoke/Lynchburg, Va.
Charlotte, N.C.
Springfield, Mo.
Jackson, Miss.
Birmingham, Ala.
Chattanooga, Tenn.
Shreveport, La.
Knoxville, Tenn.

Is it just me, or is there some regional thing going on here? If I made up a list like that people would say I was making fun of the South.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:27 pm

It's not called the Bible Belt for nothing (yes, I know that's a double negative). Yet they have greater rates of violence than the rest of the country. Maybe it's because they honor the Old Testament God, rather than their beloved Jesus.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:29 pm

Here's the American Bible Society's study page.

The full list is a graphic so you can't cut and paste it but it's there. Madison is 75 out of 96. Milwaukee at 82 is much less bible minded than we are.

And Providence is tied with New Bedford. Looks like a lot of the colonies are at the bottom of the list.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:33 pm

rabble wrote:And Providence is tied with New Bedford. Looks like a lot of the colonies are at the bottom of the list.

I seem to recall both Providence and New Bedford were in bed with Cthulhu. Literally.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:22 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Yet they have greater rates of violence than the rest of the country. Maybe it's because they honor the Old Testament God, rather than their beloved Jesus.

There are all sorts of correlations you can make with violent crime rates by state. Percentage of minority population is another that works quite well. Doesn't lend itself to witty comments as well though.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:56 am

Igor wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Yet they have greater rates of violence than the rest of the country. Maybe it's because they honor the Old Testament God, rather than their beloved Jesus.

There are all sorts of correlations you can make with violent crime rates by state. Percentage of minority population is another that works quite well. Doesn't lend itself to witty comments as well though.

I thought someone might bring that up.The Bible Belters call them the children of Ham.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All