MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Unlocked iPhones

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:17 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:This "unlocking" business really isn't that smart or useful. These unlocked phones will not be able to use a lot of the special functionality (such as how the voicemail works and a lot of the internet features) because those are server-dependent. You may be able to make basic calls, but so what? You've intentionally damaged (soldering is involved) a $600 phone so you can get shitty phone service with OMG THE PROVIDER OF YOUR CHOICE!

The length of the quoted passages above your comment indicate how far afield we've gotten.

The original article explains that parties have found a software-only method for unlocking the iPhone, without opening the case or making a single solder.

I have no beef with the rest of your comment, but there's no intrinsic damage to the phone in unlocking it.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:51 pm

Funny.

Thanks for the link Center Square,
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:34 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:This "unlocking" business really isn't that smart or useful. These unlocked phones will not be able to use a lot of the special functionality (such as how the voicemail works and a lot of the internet features) because those are server-dependent. You may be able to make basic calls, but so what? You've intentionally damaged (soldering is involved) a $600 phone so you can get shitty phone service with OMG THE PROVIDER OF YOUR CHOICE!

The length of the quoted passages above your comment indicate how far afield we've gotten.

The original article explains that parties have found a software-only method for unlocking the iPhone, without opening the case or making a single solder.

I have no beef with the rest of your comment, but there's no intrinsic damage to the phone in unlocking it.

Actually, they unlocked the wireless features first, then finally cracked the provider restrictions.

This hack can really only be considered "not that useful" because the iPhone uses the unpopular GSM standard, which is offered by only a handful of providers outside of AT&T.

If you don't like AT&T and you have a GSM provider in the US, then it's insanely useful. Especially if you believe that if you spend $600 on a phone/music player/whatever, then you should be able to do whatever the heck you want with it. Apparently that is a pretty big crowd, and happens to include me.

I frequently don't buy things that are locked like this, or select a brand/model based on hacks that are available for it.

I'll wait till Apple releases a new version that can accept a SIM card for my carrier, and has a reasonable price point. And isn't way too big.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:27 am

Here's what I don't get. You can only get the LG Chocolate on Verizon. Same with the Envy. You can only get the Moto Slivr on ATT. So whats the big deal? Cell providers and manufacturers make exclusivity deals all the time. Also what's wrong with ATT's service? I've had it for 4 years and got no complaints. It doesn't work well west of here but nation wide it's got great coverage. The Pricing is competitive especially when you factor in the all inclusive data package.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:34 am

I don't give a shit about the nit picky details being discussed here, I just think it's a neat story about technology that people are going unnecessarily nuts for.

Again, this kid is the best part of the story.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:53 am

Free Nissan 350Z or not. There's no way that kid is ever gettin laid.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:31 am

fisticuffs wrote:Here's what I don't get. You can only get the LG Chocolate on Verizon. Same with the Envy. You can only get the Moto Slivr on ATT. So whats the big deal? Cell providers and manufacturers make exclusivity deals all the time. Also what's wrong with ATT's service? I've had it for 4 years and got no complaints. It doesn't work well west of here but nation wide it's got great coverage. The Pricing is competitive especially when you factor in the all inclusive data package.

Let me explain it for you then.

All those phones you mention have equivalent phones with similar (if not identical) features and functionality available at any carrier.

The iPhone, pretty obviously, is unique right now. Apple is the only company doing anything innovative with cell phone interfaces right now. It may do exactly what all other phones do, and in some cases not as well as other solutions, but it does it with style and that counts for a lot. So there is high motivation to make it work with other providers, since Apple has decided to pad their coffers with some AT&T payola.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:39 pm

From Biz Week:
Why Apple Can't Stop iPhone Hackers
http://businessweek.com/print/technolog ... 230698.htm
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Unlocked iPhones

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:23 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess