MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, December 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Boardwalk Empire - Scorsese's New HBO Series, Looks Awesome!

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Re: Boardwalk Empire - Scorsese's New HBO Series, Looks Awesome!

Postby babelfish » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:56 pm

I just got HBO back, I added Showtime because the new season of Dexter starts in a few days (Dexter should be mentioned with all these other great shows). Anyway, it was only a little more to add HBO as well, and I caught the premiere of Boardwalk Empire. I was very concerned that this show was trying to be Sopranos, but it turned out to be more of a period piece. I wasn't blown away like I have been with some series premieres, but I enjoyed it and will see where it goes. The fact that Lucky Luciano and Al Capone were characters in it was pretty cool...I look forward to seeing the gangsters start to mix it up (NJ vs. NY vs. Chicago).
babelfish

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:05 pm

c02 wrote:Yeah...there are certain words I can't stand and that was one of them. Any other variant would have been preferred by me but I'm not quite sure what the slang du jour was in the 20's. Nevertheless, I like the show.

My only concern with time pieces such as Boardwalk is it has to progress year by year to remain consistent and often ends in boredom. Although, MASH seemed to make a good go of it. Time will tell. If they can manage to keep the storyline fresh it will be awesome for quite some time.

Catch last night's yet?

Did you watch last season's Bored To Death?

I wasn't sure until recently that they picked it up for a second season.

I'm glad they did.

I'm beginning to fear all this good television. I bought a second treadmill and put it in front of our bedroom TV.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:07 pm

I didn't but I've got the DVR set for tonight.

I've got some Top Gear to catch up on.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:49 am

Oh man, don't even get me started on Top Gear.

And why isn't BBCAmerica in HD? My DVR records the same episodes over and over. The descriptions say the show is from 2010. I go to watch it, it's from 2004. Or 2006, 07, 08, etc. Then they had the marathon over the weekend that gobbled up a ton of space.

I only have first runs set to record, but it records them all anyway. If it wasn't for Clarkson's hair, it would be hard to decipher what year I'm watching.

Top Gear America is supposed to start soon too I read somewhere.

Should be interesting.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:29 am

I often find myself looking at the coffee table to ballpark when the show was made....and the hair.

I'm with you, I wish it were in HD. However, ironically enough I have caught HD versions of Top Gear on the 101. That was a while ago though. Top Gear America sounds great but I don't see it being as good as the original. Right now the closest thing we have is *maybe* Battle of the Supercars. Get rid of the scripted over-acting competitive spirit of the show and it would be a bit more enjoyable. Nearly every time the meathead host opens his mouth it's a buzz kill. It just lacks the technical background on the cars and a bit more insight to make it more interesting.

Do you think a Top Gear America would have a similar budget? That budget has to be astronomical. How often are they using helicopter shots? I will say, the episode when they were in the states the second time was hilarious...er sorry....very "educational" and "not funny" at all.
c02
Forum Addict

Re: Boardwalk Empire - Scorsese's New HBO Series, Looks Awes

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:26 am

I said it looks awesome before it premiered.

Now the first season is almost over and.... it IS awesome.

I wish I could just have my premium channels and dump most of the basic cable shit.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:50 am

Times they are a changin'. Whether the big cable companies want it to happen or not, it will and to a certain extent, already is. I've grown closer and closer to dropping all premium services. If Netflix had more 1080p streaming content I would have done it already. For things like Boardwalk Empire there is always bit torrent if I'm desperate.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:00 am

Rumor has it HBO is working on a streaming service just for their content. It won't be on Netflix anytime soon or Hulu but there may be a paid legal option for their original programming as well.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:32 am

fisticuffs wrote:Rumor has it HBO is working on a streaming service just for their content. It won't be on Netflix anytime soon or Hulu but there may be a paid legal option for their original programming as well.

That would be excellent.

If HBO does end up streaming, AND you also have Netflix streaming, there's something very important you should know first.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:39 pm

Finally got caught up with BE over the weekend. Only have the season finale left.

Holy shit is this a good show.

HBO so has me by the balls...
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to TV