MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Boy Scouts Consider Lifting Ban on Gay Leaders

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Boy Scouts Consider Lifting Ban on Gay Leaders

Postby rabble » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:01 pm

I really want to know the back story behind this one.
Blackmail? Power grab? Did somebody in the inner circle come out?

I'll probably never know but I have a hard time believing they're bowing to public pressure or a drop in memberships.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Boy Scouts Consider Lifting Ban on Gay Leaders

Postby Steve Vokers » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:38 pm

They are passing the buck to the local councils. How brave of them.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:41 pm

rabble wrote:I have a hard time believing they're bowing to public pressure or a drop in memberships.
My guess would be they're finally starting to feel the financial pinch from lost donations. I know of many people who stopped giving them money because of their intolerant policies. And as Vokers said, they're just passing the buck. Nothing to stop local chapters from continuing to discriminate.

It's certainly a step in the right direction, though.
Maybe they'll drop all that God crap too and stop treating atheists like scum. Heh. I just made myself laugh typing that.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:35 pm

If the article is accurate, this is not passing the bucks to the local councils. It is letting each charter organization make the decision for itself. The charter organization (PTA, church, Lions Club, or whatever) has to approve all leaders as well as BSA. So, if you have a PTA that is willing to sponsor a troop or pack, and have leaders approved by that PTA, I assume that the BSA will be doing background checks and nothing else.

The benefit of this policy is that it will separate those who genuinely had concern for the future of the BSA from those that just want to "win" on the issue, and don't particularly care if the BSA survives. When I was a leader, we had a lesbian couple that indicated that having a male leadership presence in their son's life was more important than their views on the BSA policy. I also know of at least one leader who genuinely struggled with the issue and resigned. I am fairly confident all of those people will be pleased and satisfied with this policy.

Will they lose some sponsoring organizations? Probably. Will there be a mass influx of new leaders and scouts - probably not.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:32 pm

It's about time.
And oh that god thingy should go too same with the girl scout pledge and the pledge of allegiance and ....
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:56 pm

Here is a great video of Don Lemon and Zach Wahls debated an obvious homophobic Scout leader. I think the Scouts are taking a good step, but I really don't think it's enough.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/2 ... 55905.html
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All