MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Birthday specials?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Birthday specials?

Postby markkay » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:27 am

Happy birthday to me! Well, not today anyway, but soon. What restaurants around town have good birthday specials? Other than, say, the Nitty Gritty?
markkay
Forum Addict

Re: Birthday specials?

Postby AndyMatts » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:51 pm

Join some of the e-clubs, and you can score free birthday food.

Red Robin will credit your preferred customer card with enough for a free burger in the calendar month your birthday happens (so if you're born late in the month, make sure to redeem it before it runs out).

DQ - you get a buy-one/get-one for a medium blizzard.

Flat Top gives a free one-trip stir fry coupon that is good for a couple of weeks.
AndyMatts

Postby LargeMarge » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:05 pm

I got a free burger at AJ Bombers last year on my birthday. I've never seen signs for it; maybe you just have to ask. My SO got one on his birthday, too.

If you sign up for Noodles eNewsletter, you get a free meal on your birthday. It's probably too late for that.

Many places will give you a free dessert.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:47 pm

IHOP gives you a free breakfast (sign up online). Liliana's, free beignets (I signed up at the restaurant). Both have the same free offers for wedding anniversaries.

Oh, and Culver's gives a free single scoop of custard. I also signed up online for that.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:04 pm

Or we could all just, you know, act like fucking adults already and ditch this oddball notion that, because each of us fell out of a womb one arbitrary day out of 365, it somehow entitles us to free crap.

</threadshit>
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:29 pm

I don't feel entitled, it's just that I also don't look a gift horse in the month. I sometimes also use coupons. Does that bother you too?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:00 pm

As usual, way to show your lighter side, Henry.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:20 pm

Henry's getting old and he's entitled to his free shit. Although, IHOP? Really? Free or not, that place was only good when I was a drunk teenager.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:39 pm

Henry isn't alone. I know a couple of people whose taste buds appear to be located in their wallets.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:43 am

It's not the miserliness of it that bugs me so much. I just think if you're over 21 and still making a big effing deal about your damn birthday, there's something wrong with you. I've long thought we should be celebrating our mothers on our birthdays, a conviction that only grew stronger after witnessing the birth of my children.

It's fine if you're celebrating a milestone or using it as an excuse to get out of the house and grab a drink with a few friends or whatever. But broadcasting it to total strangers for a free dessert or drink or whatever is just distasteful in my book. And "broadcasting" is exactly what you're doing when the Red Robin crew comes a-clapping to sing that dreadful "Happy, happy birthday" royalty-free number they've cooked up. Really? A free dessert is worth that public spectacle? Seriously, you're twelve. Grow the fuck up. p.s. Those poor bastards singing that song would pay good money to watch you choke to death on that chipwich.

My wife has a coworker who makes a huge production out of her birthday every year. It's not just a few friends; she invites everyone in her address book to celebrate it with her, usually at some pricey restaurant everyone would probably enjoy better (including the other patrons) without all the party trappings. There's something wrong with that bitch, no lie. The whole affair just screams "Look at me!" Once was all we could muster. We passed last year so I wouldn't have to go home feeling shitty about wishing this woman never had another such opportunity.

Yeah, I jacked this dull-ass thread (which is a perennial nod, by the way). This place is dull as fuck. Mods, please change my name to "threadshitter" because somebody's got to assume the mantle.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nichole » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:03 am

There are a few more birthday freebies discussed here: http://www.reddit.com/r/madisonwi/searc ... rict_sr=on
nichole

Postby Marvell » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:27 am

If you want to spend your life in bitter passive/agressive anonymity, threadshitter, knock yourself out.

When it's my birthday, you're damn right it's 'Look at me, motherfucker.' Because I'm all that and the proverbial bag of chips, and you should be pathetically grateful you got to spend even a second in the refracted glory of my presence.

If that bugs you, suck it. Now where's my goddamn comp brownie, Red Robin fucks?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:34 am

If the Gomers are involved it's really not an act of self-absorption, but more like a public service.

Commencing to suck it in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ...
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:50 pm

Touché.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Suck it or touch it? Jesus, Marvell, make up your damn mind already.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews