MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

"Breaking News"- Channel 15 hits rock bottom

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: "Breaking News"- Channel 15 hits rock bottom

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:03 am

talagaster wrote: I wish more content producers would pony up the money for a multi-person team for talk radio, there's so much more energy when you've got the synergy of two or three people that can just bounce off of each other .

Very true. Probably your 4 to 6 local talk show will have to be a little bit light. Sort of like the Wisconson Guys on 1670, only with some, you know, intelligence.

(Speaking of intelligence, how did Kathleen Dunn get a job on public radio? And why does WPR give us a second dosing of Kathleen Dunn and Jean Ferracca at night? Jean is interesting at times, but her shows are rather esoteric, to put it kindly.)

Hey, bring back Michael Feldman to local radio! Not really, once a week is enough.

Mitch Hank does a good job with his local talk show. Perhaps he could be sent to a re-education camp and converted into a liberal MIC talker.
Last edited by Huckleby on Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:08 am

Huckleby wrote:Mitch Hank does a good job with his local talk show. Perhaps he could be sent to a re-education camp and converted into a liberal MIC talker.

If he's got enough time on his hands after desperately pimping his MC side-gig on radio ads all over the dial.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:18 am

Huckleby wrote:I wasn't criticizing Bill Press, he is OK, but he competes with sleep and Sly.

Bill Press is just too Beltway for morning radio, it's way too easy for him to become white noise during my morning commute. Now, Sly, that's a guy I can't NOT pay attention to when he's blaring out of a radio within 50 feet of me. I love a guy who can dish out so much ire at both the far-left and the far-right, it's rare and refreshing.

Huckleby wrote:Very true. Probably your 4 to 6 local talk show will have to be a little bit light. Sort of like the Wisconson Guys on 1670, only with some, you know, intelligence.

I think the Wisconsin Guys do a pretty good job considering their programming directive seems to be "talk about oddly-enough/misc stories for 3 hours," it's no McLaughlin Group, but it's not trying to be.

In my dream world, this fantasy Mic drive-time show would be a local Stephanie Miller Show. Combining some public radio-style political issues talk with some Wisconsin Guys-style poop jokes.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:01 pm

Oy... are all y'all serious about The Mic? I've yet to be able to keep it tuned there for longer than 3 minutes. Same goes for McKenna and Henck, who typically have me reaching for the tuner due to their right-wing radio gambits. But The Mic is so righteous! Miller is funny at times, but mostly that show resembles a morning zoo. Sound effect, laughter, sound effect laughter, clip from Rush, sound effect, testimonial for P90X. Brutal.

Local talk radio is why podcasts were invented. Even the traffic reports are horribly timed and they don't spend nearly enough time on weather or local news.

Tony Kornheiser from Washington, Dan Barreiro from Minneapolis. That's my drive-time listening more often than not these days.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:22 pm

jjoyce wrote: Tony Kornheiser from Washington, Dan Barreiro from Minneapolis. That's my drive-time listening more often than not these days.

Round these parts, it's not Wisco-patriotic to listen to such a Packer basher as Barreiro with his Carl Gerbschmidt character.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:14 am

Dan Barreiro is about as good as it gets when you're talking sports radio. He's no homer (I get up early each fall Sunday morning for his "Sunday Sermon" show after yet another Goofer loss to hear his skewer the hapless Tim Brewster).

As for lefty political talk, the local dying husk of a station, AM 950 - "the station for the Obama Generation" :| , uses local lefty bloggers to host their afternoon drive show. Although I don't agree with them, their takes are local and fresh and I'm sure they work for cheap.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:56 am

Latest "breaking news" from ch 15 - Donald Driver is retiring.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:57 am

That's maybe not "breaking" news, but it is news. A day ago there was speculation among people close to the team that he was looking around to see what other teams might be interested.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:03 am

Things sure don't change much here. Until I got to AaronTheSnob, I thought this was a new thread.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:34 pm

jjoyce wrote:Oy... are all y'all serious about The Mic? I've yet to be able to keep it tuned there for longer than 3 minutes.... The Mic is so righteous! Miller is funny at times, but mostly that show resembles a morning zoo. Sound effect, laughter, sound effect laughter, clip from Rush, sound effect, testimonial for P90X. Brutal.

What's brutal is scraping the car and driving to work in below zero weather. Stephanie Miller, on the other hand, makes me laugh every morning and helps me face the day. So yes, y'all are very serious. But I do agree there is somewhat of a gradual decline after that through the day on the Mic.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Catch All