MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Coffee Makers

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Coffee Makers

Postby fennel » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:53 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Yes. I had a porcelain cone until I broked it. I can't have nice things.
I say buy a new one and tell yourself it's only for when you have company over.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:37 am

narcoleptish wrote:EVery weekend? That's probably the secret to the longevity but I know there's no way I'm going to remember, let alone want, to do that weekly. The Cuisinart has a light that comes on telling you it needs cleaning and of course I do it about a week later. The cleaning mode runs the mixture through very slowly and on all 3 machines it has stopped working after 2 years.

We've had this Cuisinart for about 4 years. It doesn't have a self cleaning feature.

I use it every day, sometimes twice, and we've never had problem, other than the cup markings wearing off the reservoir window so I've had to Sharpie them on. Secret to longevity: filtered water. Used to use a Brita, but I prefer the ZeroWater pitcher I use now.

I do have to brush out the chute from the grinder to the filter basket once a month or so, but that's it for maintenance. No vinegar, ever.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:52 am

Flame me if you want, but I am not picky at all about my morning coffee--I've been drinking instant every morning here in Brazil. I have that one cup of instant, then drink the decent coffee that my school provides in carafes. I just don't care, so long as it tastes ok and has the caffeine in the 1st cup.

Don't get me wrong, i do like coffee, to the point that I'll happily drink decaf all afternoon if it is available--that's what I made at East High, and my students couldn't believe that I was drinking decaf.

But instant really tastes fine to me--far better than Starbuck's burnt crapola coffee, that's for sure. I'd get a coffee maker, but appliances are ridiculously expensive here in Brazil. That Farberware percolator looked nice, but then I read some online reviews, and apparently the percolators tend to last just a bit beyond the 12 month warranty. Weird. A stainless percolator should last 25 years, don't you think?
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:04 am

You can use muriatic acid (really hydrochloric acid) from the hardware store to clean a really really bad case of calcium buildup. Follow safety precautions. Dilute about one part acid to 5 parts water. Rinse well afterward.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:22 am

wallrock wrote:for my daily use I have one of the Bunn reservoir coffee makers. It does have a vacation switch that turns off the heater on the reservoir and when I first got it I would turn it off after brewing and on again the next day when I first woke up. Now I only switch it off when I know I'll be traveling for a day or more as I didn't notice any significant difference in energy usage when I kept it on.

I figured that cost wouldn't be noticeable, I just think it's silly for the machine to maintain hot water constantly just so I can have a quicker cup of coffee. The Cuisinart only takes about 6 minutes when it's working right. And if that heating element is working that often I don't see it lasting too long.

Like Duca said, I think filtered water might be more important than regular cleaning.

I watched the video of the siphon model that Stebben and Book mentioned and now I'm curious about it. I don't see me using it daily though, probably a weekend thing.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:36 am

Galoot wrote:That Farberware percolator looked nice, but then I read some online reviews, and apparently the percolators tend to last just a bit beyond the 12 month warranty. Weird. A stainless percolator should last 25 years, don't you think?

I've seen those reviews, too. That has to be a result of production changes, cheaper parts or something similar on the newer ones. Mine came from a rummage sale years ago and gets daily use without a problem.

I would like to find a small one like curtis' work model. I generally don't need the 12 cup capacity of the full sized version.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:59 pm

Galoot wrote:... I'll happily drink decaf all afternoon if it is available ...
And if that's not available, there's always dehydrated water.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:31 pm

So I got this awesome deal worked out with the McDonald's by my house. Goes like this, I show up there and order ANY size coffee any way I want it and then on the sly I give them a buck for hooking me up. I know what you're thinking, pretty friggin' sweet right?

Not sure if it'll work for you too but it's worth a shot. I'm only telling you guys this cause I care about you. So don't go telling everyone you know or forwarding it on in emails or texts.

Especially to Democrats.

(you see how they are about coffee... sheesh!)
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:32 pm

My mother used to exclusively brew with Farberware percolators as does my grandmother. They did have a tendency to burn out after a couple of years. I recall a number of shorts from the plug-in port being the main culprit. Also there's always an issue with coffee grounds in the coffee even when using the paper disc filters.

As for the element on my heated reservoir unit I've not have any problems since I purchased it in 2006. I bought it mainly because my friend had one when we lived together in college. His eventually had a seal give way but it definitely performed better than the parade of $20-$30 Black & Decker or Mr. Coffee drip machines I went through in those years.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:42 pm

wallrock wrote:My mother used to exclusively brew with Farberware percolators as does my grandmother.

Nothing like a good percolator.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:09 pm

Percolators and McDonald's are two of the reasons I thought I didn't like coffee for so many years.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:17 pm

rabble wrote:Percolators and McDonald's are two of the reasons I thought I didn't like coffee for so many years.

MCD's coffee has actually gotten a lot better since they made their push to broaden their coffee menu.

For quick, inexpensive, on-the-go-joe, it can't be beat.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:12 pm

How's the service at McDonald's around 6:30am for a guy with crusty eyes and mussed up hair, in his underwear scratching his nuts, not really in the mood to talk?

Because the Cuisinart has never really had a problem with it.

wallrock wrote:As for the element on my heated reservoir unit I've not have any problems since I purchased it in 2006.

Yeah I'm starting to think I should have given it a chance. Oh well, maybe in 2 years.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:42 pm

narcoleptish wrote:How's the service at McDonald's around 6:30am for a guy with crusty eyes and mussed up hair, in his underwear scratching his nuts, not really in the mood to talk?

Suppose it would depend on the underwear coverage.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:21 pm

I prefer the cone vs the flat bottom filter/basket. It concentrates the coffee goodness. I also prefer manual drip apparatus over the automatic varieties for taste but not for convenience.

My daughter bought me my first automatic coffeemaker when she was a teenager. She must of witnessed me knocking over my drip filter set-up and the mess and the cussing.

Now I am back to the old manual drip method. My Hamilton Beach coffeemaker glass carafe suffered a breakage. The machine is fine but try to find a replacement carafe ( I have saved the 2 previous models of coffeemaker carafes but they are not interchangeable).

I like my coffee strong with just a splash of milk.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All