MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Will someone admit that Madison sucks at snow removal?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Will someone admit that Madison sucks at snow removal?

Postby Bad Gradger » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:17 pm

This thread should be retitled "Will Joyce admit that Madison has been doing a pretty decent job at snow removal this winter?"
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:21 am

Hardly... I haven't really noticed a lot of difference.

The plows are still out scraping the streets when there is no snow on them.

They still fill (sometimes two or three times) in the crosswalk and driveway after I shovel them both out.

If some areas are getting better removal, I'd credit Mother Nature not dumping on us in a big way and this being an election year.
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby KidCapitol » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:36 am

Every year there will always be complaints about snow removal.
They only way there won't be is if there is one truck for every 10 ft of every single, and I mean, every single stretch of asphalt and concrete.
And even then folks who shovel their driveways will complain about the snow covering the ends after the truck drives through and plows.
They are doing their best with what they got.
So just grin and bear it.
Or move somewhere it doesn't snow.
If ya can't do that then pick up the shovel, turn on the blower and start doing your street yourself.
KidCapitol
Forum Addict

Postby shamfish » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:46 am

This city truly is horrible at snow removal. It has nothing to do with the salting or sanding. It has to do with the stupid rule of "plows up" while in transit, and the lack of plowing on side streets, or incomplete plowing on main streets.

First off, most major cities that get plowing done right have a "plows down" rule. In Syracuse, all plows were required by law to be down during transit, so that the roads were gone over and over and over by all active plows. Here, we don't do that. We do just the opposite. It's asinine. I hardly ever see plows, but 80 percent of those I see have their plows up when traveling from point A to B.

Secondly, we wouldn't need to salt if they did a decent job of plowing the streets in general, not to mention the side streets. Hell, if they could just get the main 4 roads on the Isthmus plowed, that'd be a step in the right direction. I live off Johnson and it's a mess. It's been a mess for the last week. Every day. All hours of the day. Even when no one is parked on the side of the road, I see plows go by with "plows up" on the rare instances I actually see a plow.

I'm tempted to rig a plow on my truck to just clear my own path from now on.

I'd gladly admit this city sucks at plowing.
shamfish

Postby rabble » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:32 pm

Some years back we had that big snowstorm where Dave apologized and promised to do it better next time.

From where I sit, "better" means "we'll send out timely emails to let you know the crews are out there."

And that's about it.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:40 pm

I can see it being an issue when we get something over 12". That can get crazy. We had about 4" and the streets are shit.

On top of that, I see a message that because the snow stopped before midnight, I need to have my sidewalk cleared by noon today. Really? You're giving ME about 7 hours(mans gotta work) to clear my sidewalk yet you can't plow a fucking street. I don't care whose fault it is, but I agree with shamfish. This town sucks at snow removal.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:25 pm

in our neighborhood (north siyeeeed), it appears they plow only if there's about 1/2 inch or less. If there's any more snow than that, it doesn't appear any plowing ever takes place.

During/after the giant snowstorm this year, the only plowing that ever took place was one pickup truck with a blade on front. Meanwhile, while that guy was trying to do a whole 'hood by himself with the equivalent of a Tinkertoy vs. all that snow, the big trucks were out on Sherman cleaning the parking lanes over and over again.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:54 pm

shamfish wrote:In Syracuse, all plows were required by law to be down during transit, so that the roads were gone over and over and over by all active plows.
I knew the former Syracuse city manager who had moved to Oak Park, MI. When Detroit was shut down due to a large snow storm, Oak Park managed to clear every street within 24 hours. It goes without saying that his strategy was more aggressive than simply waiting for spring.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Comrade » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:26 pm

I am reluctantly forced to also acknowledge the fact that Madison sucks at snow removal. The road to the south ramp at the airport is not plowed as of right now and not even touched. Absolutely impassable without four wheel drive and that is from where the cargo planes operate. People have deadlines and cannot get to work or park if they could get there. This wasn't even a big storm....absolutely sucks. This hasn't been touched by a plow since early this week. I thought things had improved since the disaster in early 2009, but now seem to be regressing downhill again.

Seriously, it is almost impossible to function like this. In a northern clime like this there are no excuses.
Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby john_titor » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:32 pm

Are we willing to pay the cost of an effective solution?
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:47 pm

Is it a matter of more money or better management of the situation? I feel its a small percentage of the former and most of the latter.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:11 pm

I would assume the drivers are both skilled and dedicated, at least equal to what they are paid. I would think there is not a whole lot of management to do, outside of maybe some sort of route optimization. The streets haven't changed that much, so I would assume the optimum routes have been discovered and documented.

All I can think of is paying for more people to plow more roads, more often. But I do not manage snow, outside of my driveway.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:45 pm

john_titor wrote:The streets haven't changed that much, so I would assume the optimum routes have been discovered and documented.

Johnson St. on campus was a crap factory this morning. Seems to me that is one of those optimum routes.

Like I said, I won't criticize when there is over a foot of snow, but this recent clean up was worse than I've seen in a while for minor snow.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:52 pm

I've lived on this street for going on 13 years. I recollect, in the first few years, seeing snowplows. Saw them pretty frequently. I remember when a snowplow was annoyance, something to maneuver around and avoid.

Now it's like seeing a fox or a snowy owl. Ohh, look over there!
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:57 pm

So, more people driving more snowplows, right?

Stebben84 wrote:Johnson St. on campus was a crap factory this morning. Seems to me that is one of those optimum routes.

I was thinking more along the lines of UPS and no left turns, but in terms of main drag, I get your drift.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe